TinyMCE Paste Issue / Configuration

Wildcat Media

Well, I converted yet another forum to XF, and have had another round of complaints about the editor window pasting text in with formatting. The support over at TinyMCE has been less than helpful, but some pitiful little ol' user like me has no clout over there, and other than a few suggestions to start disabling editor features, nothing has materialized. However, they do have an option to add a new button that will paste in your text as plaintext for you. (I feel that if this is possible via a button, it should also be possible as a default configuration value.)

Basically, I want TinyMCE to paste in text as plaintext by default. It does not seem possible given their configuration values.

Aha! Now, this brings up an idea that I had earlier today. What if the TinyMCE configuration were put into its own template? That would make it easy to find, and easy to edit if needed. Commented so that we know what we are changing.

And if I were to take this a step further, it would be a nice feature (even if via an addon) to create an admin interface to allow us to configure some of the default TinyMCE settings and behaviors, without having to dig into the code.

I realize I could split my own template out and to it myself, but the whole idea is to leave default XF templates untouched. Having an easier method to configure TinyMCE would be most welcomed here at Casa Rudy. :)

Upvote 7
i suggest ti change the editor to CKEditor, is much better than Tinymce.
i know its alot of work, but i know 100% that is a better option tu use it.
i used tnymce(a mod that i developed) in phpbb i have a lot of issues with pasting and much more, but once i changed to cke it was alot easier to costumize and add custom bbcodes, and it have a better peasting engine.

Thank you for the link, cclaerhout. However I'm afraid to make such a large edit on the xenforo code.

I've already made a the simple hack to remove the toolbar buttons I don't want, now I will write a simple hack that will remove all the bbcodes like size, color and others that I don't want members to use. This hack will takes the variable that holds the editor data just prior to writing to the database and remove the codes.

If I may, the plain text problem is still there. There is no plugin for this with Redactor, so this function would have to be coded by XenForo developers themselves.

Top Bottom