The Resource Manager add-on should not be free

How much would you be willing to pay for the Resource Manager?

• $10 - $20

Votes: 18 15.8%
  • $20 - $50

Votes: 37 32.5%
  • $70

Votes: 7 6.1%
  • I need it, but I will not buy it

Votes: 28 24.6%
  • I have no need of a Resource Manager

Votes: 24 21.1%

• Total voters
I just want the xf team to charge what they need to in order to be able to keep making official addons. It has to be worth it for them to make them and worth it for us to buy them. I am also pretty confident that they are not just going to throw a price tag on it but rather place a value on it based on functions and time spent building it. In the end whatever helps them build, helps me and I trust their decisions...let me know when it's ready to go :-)

I'm pretty sure it was more of the decision of the company than anything else, without any consideration on behalf of the customer.
Maybe so, but it didn't help matters that customers posed that comment and it feels like it was a determining factor in iB's decision to make it as expensive as it is.

Take a look at the price difference between the time iB acqured vB, and the time that iB fully finished off their transfer of ownership [trademarks, copyrights, ownership of Jelsoft, etc] - at that point iB decided to launch a vb4 license pre-sale.

Pre-iB acqusition: $140/$150 [I forget which one]
vB4 Pre-Sale: $160/$190 [Depending on how your account was at the time]
Post vB4 rush: $195/$285 [For new licenses]

Before the $140 price increase, some people were going like "Jelsoft should charge vb more" then a few weeks or months later, we got a price increase. When vb4 was about to release, customers did the same, but this time, Jelsoft [under iB's wing] decided to give customers like you and myself a chance to buy it for "cheap." But there was no warning before-hand, the change happened all so fast. People like me are frustrated about the price at the time, and then kaboom - $285. At this point, nobody's happy about the price, and people still say it should be more... This pattern is really frustrating... Wanna know why? Because by 2015 [or when vB5 is ready for market], vBulletin will become the most expensive forum solution in the world. The round-about number for vb4 as it stands now its $300 for the best version. By 2015, that price will be $500 - the price of a cheap car, the price of a home rental, the price of the most powerful game console. And who do we have to blame? Not the company. The customers. The consumers.

And don't give me that "demand" bull$#!^ with vBulletin. There wasn't enough demand for vb4 when it was on pre-sale.

When Mobile Suite was announced - there wasn't really a price point yet. So, when the staff dropped the $100 price tag on customers to gauge the demand for it - they did it by listening to those who spoke out openly about... the price, the "usual" price of a custom-made mobile app for iphone - I was calm, and I debated with them about it... and all I could think is this:

"God. People need to keep their freakin' mouth shut!"

Because at the time of the staff saying its probably going to be $100, most of the people in the licensed feedback went really hard with the pricing. Far harder than what they did for vBulletin's other products. They compared the custom-made iphone apps, to a commercial app such as the one vBulletin was going to put out at the time. I tried my best to keep my composure at this point because really, I am boggled already. Because people really. don't. know when to keep quiet.

"Does it matter how much money it is to design it?"

Followed by:

"You guys don't really want a cheap iphone solution, do you!?"

Let me put it this way: vBulletin Solutions could have charged $1000 for the app if people really wanted it that way.

Let me say it one more time: One. thousand. dollars. For Mobile Suite alone.

Some people, such as the OP of this thread, don't realize that we spend a lot of money on forum software already:

vBulletin 4: $285
vBSEO: $149
vBulletin Mobile: $199
Total: $633

I want you to sit there and tell me that as a start-up entrepreneur, can you afford this on the first day you decide to make your own website? On top of hosting bills? I'm asking you because a lot of website owners have literally no money to start with in the first place.

If your site was a new site, and not a successful one... Do you have the money to start this enterprise? Not a lot of people can spend money like you can.

Just wondering why this thread has now become about vBulletin...
It isn't.

I'm trying to prove a point. You and everyone aren't trying to pay attention.

For example, this part of my post, is actually going on right now.
When Mobile Suite was announced - there wasn't really a price point yet. So, when the staff dropped the $100 price tag on customers to gauge the demand for it - they did it by listening to those who spoke out openly about... the price, the "usual" price of a custom-made mobile app for iphone - I was calm, and I debated with them about it... and all I could think is this:

"God. People need to keep their freakin' mouth shut!"

Because at the time of the staff saying its probably going to be $100, most of the people in the licensed feedback went really hard with the pricing. Far harder than what they did for vBulletin's other products. They compared the custom-made iphone apps, to a commercial app such as the one vBulletin was going to put out at the time. I tried my best to keep my composure at this point because really, I am boggled already. Because people really. don't. know when to keep quiet.
Resource Add-On was announced/revealed about a half a month ago. And now we're talking, debating about the price of the add-on.

Whatever, suit yourselves.

It isn't.

I'm trying to prove a point. You and everyone aren't trying to pay attention.

Whatever, suit yourselves.
Your last post was about IB/vBulletin.

Back on topic: I hope the resource manager is ~$40-60, with a yearly renewal, as I think thats the most fair to XenForo as well as to costumers.

Your last post was about IB/vBulletin.
Yes, but only to prove a point. I'm trying to get across a message.

And as per usual, people mis-understand me. "When is it about vbulletin?" you say. Just because a post is about a particular thing, doesn't mean I'm trying to make it that topic.

vBulletin 4: $285
vBSEO: $149
vBulletin Mobile: $199
Total: $633

XenForo $140
vBSEO: (not needed, good SEO built-in)
vBulletin Mobile (not available, and well, use Tapatalk instead or ForumRunner)
Total: $140

:)

You can make anything sound as expensive as you can. Throw some brand removal there and it will be even costlier.
I don't think that is good decision making for Mike&Ashley&Kier.. better decision making is ...

"Would I get more money if this is free? Or would I get more money if I sell this?"
.. on the short term
.. on the long run

"When do I need the money? Now? Can I afford to give things for free to establish some presence and capture the market?"

That is something they need to do with whatever methodology they want. The purpose of any company is maximizing profit. Feeling good with each other and doing what they like is good but at the end of the day it is in my best interest that they keep in business because I need the software to run my forum.

Usually customers want to buy the cheapest possible
Merchants want to sell the most expensive
So, the merchant will sell at the highest price that the customer is still willing to pay. And competition keeps everything in balance. Basic economics.

It makes sense to have a lower price for the main product (XenForo) since there are alternatives in the market and you want to dump the price to atract the customers. But the ones that have already bought the main product and are after the add-on are captive market, for them, you don't need to dump the price.

And .. per this thread ... 14 people think even 20 is a fair price.. .oh, and 8 will never buy it, they would only get it if it were free. That's ok. And if you sell it at 70 nobody would buy it ...

This is not a good market study, of course, but it is a valid sample and can be used as input for decision making.

I understand that you would get angry because I am getting on the way of you having this for free. But, it is just my opinion, really. As far as you are concerned, I might be talking nonsense and nobody is going to pay any attention.

XenForo $140
vBSEO: (not needed, good SEO built-in)
vBulletin Mobile (not available, and well, use Tapatalk instead or ForumRunner)
Total: $140

:)

You can make anything sound as expensive as you can. Throw some brand removal there and it will be even costlier.
I don't think that is good decision making for Mike&Ashley&Kier.. better decision making is ...

"Would I get more money if this is free? Or would I get more money if I sell this?"
.. on the short term
.. on the long run

"When do I need the money? Now? Can I afford to give things for free to establish some presence and capture the market?"

That is something they need to do with whatever methodology they want. The purpose of any company is maximizing profit. Feeling good with each other and doing what they like is good but at the end of the day it is in my best interest that they keep in business because I need the software to run my forum.

Usually customers want to buy the cheapest possible
Merchants want to sell the most expensive
So, the merchant will sell at the highest price that the customer is still willing to pay. And competition keeps everything in balance. Basic economics.

It makes sense to have a lower price for the main product (XenForo) since there are alternatives in the market and you want to dump the price to atract the customers. But the ones that have already bought the main product and are after the add-on are captive market, for them, you don't need to dump the price.

And .. per this thread ... 14 people think even 20 is a fair price.. .oh, and 8 will never buy it, they would only get it if it were free. That's ok. And if you sell it at 70 nobody would buy it ...

This is not a good market study, of course, but it is a valid sample and can be used as input for decision making.

I understand that you would get angry because I am getting on the way of you having this for free. But, it is just my opinion, really. As far as you are concerned, I might be talking nonsense and nobody is going to pay any attention.
14 think 20-50* is a fair price.

I consider $40-60 a fair price, but there was only that option.

Obviously the add-on will be a commercially paid and priced accordingly. The benefit of this particular add-on is that because it's going to be used here for the resources you know the development of the add-on is assured that your going to get a good product for your money. Free based add-ons (not all) tend to run out of steam with the developer eventually moving on to other things, because this will be official, morte importantly used here the developers I'm sure will strive to better the product giving the customers a chance to purchase it.

How many times have you heard "will you be making this add-on available?" *refers to the vb.org downloads system they use* well, now is your chance to use what will be used here, minus any grumblings about the price. I'm sure the pricing structure will be fair.

See, threads like this is what caused Internet Brands to charge vB4's Suite for exactly $285.

And for this reason, I hate you. I hate everyone who suggest stuff like this. Why? Because in one corner, people want cheaper, on the other end, we have people like you who like to make threads like this saying "This should not be free." As if it is a bad thing.

And then we have the whole affordability issue: Some can't afford this price, and that price.

Back when iB was close to acquiring vBulletin/Jelsoft... One member thought it was genius to say "I think Jelsoft should charge more for vBulletin." and "I think vBulletin should cost more." And so, look what we got here... An expensive forum software that outraged customers to no end. Then now we have one on xenforo... LEARN TO KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT!

Agh! *infuriated agony ensues*

What makes me frustrated about threads like this is that those who make the suggestions are probably laughing at everyone who is paying the price for their own suggestion. The members at vBulletin that suggested this kind of price increase or pricing for "add-ons" did it in one sentence, so it comes off "Lets see how everyone reacts if the price of the software was higher." Laced with this sort of sarcastic feeling, this tone.

I'm hoping that Kier doesn't see this thread, nor Mike, or Ashley, and quickly makes the decision to move forward with a price for Resource.
Oh so that's why the software is so high. I thought it was astronomically high for some reason. The amount of hours I put into fixing something that breaks during an upgrade is not worth the full price.

c'mon this thread is so lame. I can't imagine the costumer begging the company to charge them extra $$.
if xf really need the money they can put a donation link and i would be more than happy to donate. i just don't like the idea of being charge extra money for small features.

To me I think xf would attract more costumer if they provide features like this for free

you guys have not seen the resource-manager in action and have no idea what it is or how it will work and you are already talking about pricing? :rolleyes:
Strange behaviour. (n)

c'mon this thread is so lame. I can't imagine the costumer begging the company to charge them extra $$.
if xf really need the money they can put a donation link and i would be more than happy to donate. i just don't like the idea of being charge extra money for small features.

To me I think xf would attract more costumer if they provide features like this for free

The thing is, the majority of users on this forum accept and understand that nothing is ever free and are willing to pay for high quality products. From my POV the resource manager is not a "xenforo addon" per say, it is an entirely seperate product with Xenforo as a requirement for it to work. As such, as a seperate product I expect to pay for it.

Its quite simple, if people have a need for the resource manager when it is out, then they will buy it. The people complaining about paying for it are most likely people who want it with no real need for it.

The thing is, the majority of users on this forum accept and understand that nothing is ever free and are willing to pay for high quality products. From my POV the resource manager is not a "xenforo addon" per say, it is an entirely seperate product with Xenforo as a requirement for it to work. As such, as a seperate product I expect to pay for it.

Its quite simple, if people have a need for the resource manager when it is out, then they will buy it. The people complaining about paying for it are most likely people who want it with no real need for it.
check out this page and learn about kier ideas of free resources :)

And that page shows... nothing of relevence?

Kier thinks making developers pay to release their addons would be a disaster?

How does that relate at all?
i know thats different I just think providing resources for free is cool :D
i mean seriously look at wordpress, how great is this software yet is for free ;) phpbb, firefox, chrome, google analytics .... if these services start charging their users you think they would gain more :unsure: (n) ??

From the looks of things the Resource Manager is far from a small feature.

resource-mgr-png.15155

A small feature to me would be something along the lines of Prefixes and such, although I'm sure hard work was involved there also. Basically time is money, we have all heard it, so someone has to pay and I would gladly pay for quality.

Top Bottom