The evolution of CTA Featured Threads & Portal. What's next?

Th add-on is structured around threads, not posts.

It would require a lot of changes in order to do that.

I've discussed this with you via conversation; but I'll add my suggestion again: I need a checkbox to change the layout of the featured thread to 'Article' like. This is one of the reasons we used XenPorta - it gives us the 'blog-like' feel; which is extremely important to us. Comments layout may or may not change. I can come up with a wireframe of the article layout if you decide on including this.

This. When someone clicks on a link from our front page it should look like a Wordpress blog and not a forum thread.

If the images are embedded using img then they should show in line.

If they use attach bb code, they will show as 'View attachment 9' with a link.

As an alternative, feature threads from a specific forum only and then set the 'Override user style choice' property for that forum to a style that looks more like a Wordpress blog.
Nice idea but I'm sure admins feature threads from many forums so this wouldn't really work to well. Love the idea though and gives me an idea for a future project :p

As an alternative, feature threads from a specific forum only and then set the 'Override user style choice' property for that forum to a style that looks more like a Wordpress blog.

Nice idea but I'm sure admins feature threads from many forums so this wouldn't really work to well. Love the idea though and gives me an idea for a future project :p

Yea we have featured threads across most of our forums.

The implementation of an 'article/blog' layout is simple as the featured param is available on the thread_view template.

It's a lot of work though and involves various options, style properties, template changes, HTML, CSS.

Undoubtedly whatever would be the default wouldn't suit everyone so at best it would be a compromise layout.

Not sure if anybody is interested in using this as a feature or that @Brogan wants to use it for a future release.

I have added an email subscription box to the bottom of the first post of a featured thread.

With the recent addition of the RSS feed (many thanks (y)) i can start thinking in building up a nice email list again of members that like to receive the latest frontpage news directly into their inbox.

For an example check out www.racedepartment.com open up a random featured article and see the big yellow box at the bottom of the first post.

Of course this box can become whatever you wish with some css styling. Just testing it out at the moment.

Hi Brogan,
Any idea given to the thought of featuring Posts??

Th add-on is structured around threads, not posts.

It would require a lot of changes in order to do that.

+1 for me.
While you are talking about "evolution" and "what's next", this is something I am interested in.
A "light" version of featuring. Maybe a seperate add-on. Instead of featuring whole threads with tons of settings, just a featuring of posts/postsnippets/quotes would be great. Limited to 2-6 rows, able to feature 1000+ entries, user selections, entries moderated, something like a ticker.
Anyhow possible to add to your existing add-on or for the future something like this: Add a random quote block to sidebar ?

Basically, I would like to feature quotes of what people wrote in messages. If you pm me, I can tell you for what exactly I would need it if you are interested to know it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom