Taylor Swift

MQK8

I don't quite get the attraction people have with Taylor Swift but it's something like I've never seen before. She's currently on her Era's 2023 Tour where she plays for 4 hours to sold out stadiums of 60 thousand plus fans every Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights in each city on the tour. This is simply amazing and something that I'm not sure even iconic bands or singers are able to do. I'm not sure if even U2, The Rolling Stones or anyone else could pull this off. I have never understood the attraction with this young lady but whatever it is she has found the secret sauce.

She's not remotely my style (I listen to hard rock/metal), but i respect her. Quite possibly the only pop star that I can tolerate, or better.

• on stage, she actually sings. no tapes and lip syncing. If i wanted to see a dance show, i'd go to the ballet. I want to see a singer sing.
  • she can actually play instruments too
  • she writes most of her own music and lyrics. she's not a producer's token eye candy
  • her songs are tasteful. most pop BS is n-bombs, twerking bs, over re-hashed 80s songs
  • She caters to young generation, teens, young adults, and older adults just the same.

U2, the stones, and all that are has-beens and can't pull that crowd any more. most of the hard-core fans of that era are dead or too old to go out or moved on.

She's not remotely my style (I listen to hard rock/metal), but i respect her. Quite possibly the only pop star that I can tolerate, or better.

• on stage, she actually sings. no tapes and lip syncing. If i wanted to see a dance show, i'd go to the ballet. I want to see a singer sing.
  • she can actually play instruments too
  • she writes most of her own music and lyrics. she's not a producer's token eye candy
  • her songs are tasteful. most pop BS is n-bombs, twerking bs, over re-hashed 80s songs
  • She caters to young generation, teens, young adults, and older adults just the same.

U2, the stones, and all that are has-beens and can't pull that crowd any more. most of the hard-core fans of that era are dead or too old to go out or moved on.
I forgot to mention I do heavily admire that she's written every song or has had a part in ever song written that shes ever recorded, songwriting is her first love and will always be. I myself love a great song, it takes a lot of talent to be able to sit down and write something worth meaningful.

Not really a big fan of Taylor Swift, but agree with the points above. She's a hardworking, talented singer-songwriter who rises above the mass of North American pop and I love that aspect of her. That said, I find her music listenable but it doesn't really inspire me or engage me in a big, emotional way.

I have a 12 year old daughter so I am intimately familiar with every single thing about Ms Swift.

I can name every album, the year they were released, the tracks on them, lyrics, reason for the song (i.e. which ex boyfriend it's about), which outfit she wore for each video, etc.

Not through choice I may add.

I have a 12 year old daughter so I am intimately familiar with every single thing about Ms Swift.

I can name every album, the year they were released, the tracks on them, lyrics, reason for the song (i.e. which ex boyfriend it's about), which outfit she wore for each video, etc.

Kind of like the parents who learned the lyrics of "Let It Go" by osmosis, eh (actually, if your daughter is 12, you may be one of those, too, I guess). My son was not heavily into music until high school and then it was EDM. Funny thing, though, once he got to university, he somehow got into '70s classic rock. Led Zeppelin, early Springsteen, that sort of thing. At least he could play that in the car without me complaining. 😁

Oh, she definitely listens to everything we do - from the 70's onwards.

Most of it she actually likes.

The only time i hear her music is if i'm listening to my local radio station. Otherwise i just don't listen to her music.
I'm not into her music. I like shakira's music.

The only time i hear her music is if i'm listening to my local radio station.
I find some of her songs go viral in which case covers start popping up all over Youtube and I tend to check out the original to see what the fuss is about. But, yeah, I generally encounter her coincidentally rather than looking for her stuff. I am mostly into metal subgenres like symphonic and power metal these days, not pop so much.

on stage, she actually sings. no tapes and lip syncing.
I know what you mean about this being bullet point worthy. I was surprised when I saw a clip of Maria Carey singing live and the voiceover said that it was purely her voice, no lip-sync or enhancements at all.

She sounded very good and I don't even like any of her songs, so I'm not a biased fan. She can genuinely sing.

She works. Four hours nightly pouring out everything she has. For many years. Only Dory Funk Jr. can compare.
And often performing concerts in the pouring rain, nobody else does that or would even consider doing that. She realizes her fans went through a lot to get there, hotel, airlines, and I guess why she has the biggest fan base of any artist.

How about the 10 minute song she wrote about one of her boyfriends "All Too Well"? She had some stuff she had to get off her chest, she even made a short film about it. That's actually and arguably her best song she's written. I can relate Brogan lol

Kind of like the parents who learned the lyrics of "Let It Go" by osmosis, eh (actually, if your daughter is 12, you may be one of those, too, I guess). My son was not heavily into music until high school and then it was EDM. Funny thing, though, once he got to university, he somehow got into '70s classic rock. Led Zeppelin, early Springsteen, that sort of thing. At least he could play that in the car without me complaining. 😁
My 12 year old sang along with a Talk Talk song all of a sudden. Wait what?
"Yeah, it's a Tiktok song dad"

:X3:

My 12 year old sang along with a Talk Talk song all of a sudden. Wait what?
"Yeah, it's a Tiktok song dad"

:X3:
Yeah, there's certain songs that keep coming up as background music for Tik Toks. The slow version of Ghost's "Mary On A Cross" is another (love the song, but prefer the full metal version) as is Sia's "Unstoppable". First I've heard of Talk Talk coming up in that context, though.

was surprised when I saw a clip of Maria Carey singing live and the voiceover said that it was purely her voice, no lip-sync or enhancements at all.
That's one of the things that drew me to metal, especially European scene. Singers like Floor Jansen and Tarja Turunen (two of my favorites) need no enhancements and both have proper vocal training (opera in both cases, Floor also studied stage and rock) and use it to full advantage. And they aren't alone. There's a raft of fantastic, well-trained voices in genres like symphonic metal, power metal, etc.

Sounds like your daughter is definitely a "Swiftie" :)

Top Bottom