Implemented [Suggestion] Thread voting / rating feature

Erik

As I'm browsing through the suggestions forum, I constantly find myself liking posts that I agree with and want to voice my approval for. While this is great (and intended behaivor) it would be really great if you could create a thread voting feature where users can "upvote" a thread.

This would be really helpful for this very forum, where users could vote on suggestions and then you guys could see the most-requested features/issues. Not only that, but it would allow forum owners to create a Digg- or Reddit-type section in their community where users can vote on news/stories/threads/whatever. A simple sorting option would allow you to bring the most-voted threads to the top, etc.

I would think this would be relatively easy to implement, as simple as adding another field to the database table and writing the code to increment votes, as well as the required permission handling. :)

Also, this should be an option you can turn on or off forum-by-forum, not implemented globally.

It would also be nice if you could provide administrators the ability to turn downvotes on or off. I know a lot of people would want the ability to downvote a thread but the concept of a downvote has inherent negativity that I'm sure a lot of communities would want to avoid. :)

Thoughts? :)

Upvote 41
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Week = 7 days, it's a universally set measurement, sorry Peggy, but it is.. So "Few weeks" = 3 weeks, as 4 weeks would make it a month. So, basically, a 'few weeks' is anything between 14 and 21 days.

# of days wouldn't really change anything in the use of saying 'a few weeks'.

If its 5 weeks, you'd have to say 'a month and a week', 7 weeks, you'd say 'a month and a half'.

I figured her use of a few would have meant 7-10 weeks, possibly more, but thats because I had a teacher when I was younger who hammered into our head the differences between 'a few', 'a couple' and 'several'.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/few

Week = 7 days, it's a universally set measurement, sorry Peggy, but it is.. So "Few weeks" = 3 weeks, as 4 weeks would make it a month. So, basically, a 'few weeks' is anything between 14 and 21 days.

I don't think the confusion was around weeks but definition of "a few"

If its 5 weeks, you'd have to say 'a month and a week', 7 weeks, you'd say 'a month and a half'.

I figured her use of a few would have meant 7-10 weeks, possibly more, but thats because I had a teacher when I was younger who hammered into our head the differences between 'a few', 'a couple' and 'several'.

In that case, can I borrow from you $5,000 and I will pay you back in a few days..

To be fair, you also have to think how easy it is to say a month and a week as against a few weeks ;) So for 5 weeks, you might still say a few weeeks as its a ot easier to say that without breaking. As few necessarily means more than 1, we can safely omit 1 month 3 weeks and you can technically start saying 2 months as a few months, but ideally you will still prefer few weeks instead of few months for 2 months period.

So few weeks should actually be anywhere from 5 weeks to 11 weeks :D

Which, with what Mike/Kier have said regarding the end of summer being a tentative release, would be a proper estimate ;).

As I'm browsing through the suggestions forum, I constantly find myself liking posts that I agree with and want to voice my approval for. While this is great (and intended behaivor) it would be really great if you could create a thread voting feature where users can "upvote" a thread.

This would be really helpful for this very forum, where users could vote on suggestions and then you guys could see the most-requested features/issues. Not only that, but it would allow forum owners to create a Digg- or Reddit-type section in their community where users can vote on news/stories/threads/whatever. A simple sorting option would allow you to bring the most-voted threads to the top, etc.

I would think this would be relatively easy to implement, as simple as adding another field to the database table and writing the code to increment votes, as well as the required permission handling. :)

Also, this should be an option you can turn on or off forum-by-forum, not implemented globally.

It would also be nice if you could provide administrators the ability to turn downvotes on or off. I know a lot of people would want the ability to downvote a thread but the concept of a downvote has inherent negativity that I'm sure a lot of communities would want to avoid. :)

Thoughts? :)

I think it would work to just allow ordering threads by how many "likes" they have (likes on the first post).

I guess my understanding of "a few weeks" is different from y'alls. A "few weeks" could mean literally up to 2 or 3 months. :rolleyes:

I guess this is what happens when you're used to IB's ideas of timelines. You let them skew your perception, Peggy! :p

Nah, you don't automatically stop counting in weeks when you hit 4 weeks / 1 month. I think saying "6 weeks" is more common than saying "a month and a half". The different stages of a pregnancy are almost always measured in weeks, all the way up to 40 weeks.

This looks like a good place to post this.

I really like the Like system but it seems very under-utilised at the minute and could easily be used to display thread ratings.

Would it not be quite simple to change the "Like" in the first post to 'Like Thread" and then that as the thread rating?

Would it not be quite simple to change the "Like" in the first post to 'Like Thread" and then that as the thread rating?
Yes, but alot of thread likes don't get the likes they deserve. People might read through 7 pages. Really like the thread, like a lot of posts in the thread, post a reply even, but not go back to the original post and hit like ! Why ? (1) they dont know the importance, (2) too lazy. We've already seen Original Thread starters say, "Hey, if you like this suggestion go to the first post and hit like".

Note: we already have thread likes ... it is FACEBOOK likes. Problem: lots of people don't do FaceBook. Problem2: I'm logged into Xenforo, why can't there be native Xenforo Thread Likes.

Suggestion: Native Xenforo Thread Likes (near Topic Title, and Posting area (Postbit?))
native.xenforo.THREAD.likes.webp
Another Idea might be: Put the "THREAD LIKE" button near the Post Button. Then for people who like the thread enough to Post to it, could be "reminded" to consider a Thread Like.

A follow up to the previous Image.
I like these icons better.
:)

2.places.to.LIKE.thread.webp

great idea and i think it should be implement as stating above
they should be like and organize threads by most likes in a forum

great and you deserve a Like

That sounds like the best solution but might start to confuse people, we'd have post likes, thread likes and facebook (thread) likes. I think it might take a bit of thought to make this all really clear but really like you're icons/positioning.

Being able to sort a forum by most liked threads would be valuable to me. Not only for suggestions forums, but also for tutorial forums, project build forums on my site, etc... I envision for example linking to a build forum from other areas of my site to show new visitors the project threads which my members find most impressive.

Top Bottom