Implemented Post Edit History

Erik

This may have been posted already (I can't believe it hasn't), but I tried searching and I couldn't find anything, so here goes...

Currently, if you edit a post, there's no indication that the post was edited. I thought it just updated the post date/time, but I just tested it and it doesn't appear to do anything at all (post date/time stays as original).

It would be really nice if there was a "edited by [name] x minutes ago..." in addition to the original posting date, à la vBulletin and others.

I feel that this is a crucial feature to avoid confusing or malicious/nefarious edits. :)

Upvote 92
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
mmm, smells like... nearly done :D

View attachment 22010
This is like the most intrusive method you could have used. Quite honestly, it looks horrible.

EDIT: So as to not seem like I have no actual input, a better implementation would have been to display the edited post link with a time stamp, and then open up an overlay window with the different edits. Non-intrusive, visually pleasing, and would keep the minimalistic feel of the XenForo post design.

Read the edit in the above post.

I mean realy, did you think thats how it was going to show up in every post with every edit. Ofc its going to be minimal! With some nice ajax to see the full set of options.

Son, I am disappoint.

I mean realy, did you think thats how it was going to show up in every post with every edit. Ofc its going to be minimal! With some nice ajax to see the full set of options.

Son, I am disappoint.
:rolleyes: Right, I'm not going to bother to debate it with you, because its obvious you're not in the mood for criticism regarding an intrusive implementation.

I'll just say that the information really had no reason to be displayed within the post, and would have been better implemented as an overlay where you would have more control (Not having to work within the posts template for example).

:rolleyes: Right, I'm not going to bother to debate it with you, because its obvious you're not in the mood for criticism regarding an intrusive implementation.

I'll just say that the information really had no reason to be displayed within the post, and would have been better implemented as an overlay where you would have more control (Not having to work within the posts template for example).

C'mon just say it.
You were wrong.
The image doesn't show that the edits display when you click edit.
I was about to agree with your statement that it was obtrusive ... until I read later the edit options don't appear until after you click edit !

(1) It is not obtrusive.
(2) The AJAX effect is much better than an overlay.

Thats what the "show" button does, loads the old version of the post into an overlay for comparison, though this might still be a bit up in the air tyring to work out the best way to compare new and old posts.

I am open to suggestions, but when you open to a teaser with what you did, im more likely to tell you to wait for the official xenforo implementation than be receptive to any comments you might have.

Either that or I just stop posting teasers and leave everyone in the dark (y) guessing if, and when, this feature will be added into the core by XF or even released as an addon.

As they say.

If your not happy with how it works, y'don't have to use it :)

I think a scrolling marquee with flashing animation alerting people the member edited they're post. Something prominent and obtrusive is and would be a welcomed addition rather than simple text and time stamp. thinking color: lime; border: dashed 3px red;.

Possibly inject some bright yellow in there and throw in an image with severe matting issues to finish it up.

I think a scrolling marquee..

zwhxza.gif

Too Subtle ?

Forsaken you really do seem ignorant and have to always be right.

This is how it works. There is an undecided link, currently "History" beside edit. When you click it ajax loads the edits and then they slide down like shown below the post, actually more tight with the post then shown in that screen. If you want to view a post you click view, more ajax loads and then the post slides in. If you click revert it goes to the reply page and fills the contents of the textarea with what the contents of that edit was. Because of how I have designed it there will be 0 impact on site performance.

This system is modular and easy to use in other areas such as the template editor. Template edit history on a xenforo upgrade anyone?

Top Bottom