[Suggestion] Importing vB Thanks to xF Likes

? With all due respect, but are we now expecting Xenforo to provide import-functionality for Modifications? Modifications that are in no shape or form part of an official default installation/bought vBulletin package.

Where does it end? I do not understand this request.

I think the user is talking about importing the data, not the actual hack.

Yes, I know Stuart is talking about the data. That is exactly why I do not understand it. This hack changes vB's database to be able to work... so my question is: how can people expect M&K to support importing data that has been generated only by hacks?! It has nothing to do with vBulletins default package or any official addons (Blog, CMS) delivered by Jelsoft/IB. I think it is way too much to expect from XenForo Ltd, but maybe I just don't understand the suggestion?

A importer (Mod) is very simple.
One table 'post_thanks' with 4 fields 'userid, username, date, postid' :cool:

Are you good with PHP and mYSQL?
We can't comment on how easily it can be done without looking at the database schema. I would take a guess that like is part of the post table and it stores the userid of the user who liked the post. Of course, this could be completely wrong and like could have its own table.

It sounds like it'd be easy to create an importer, but without seeing how the schema looks we can't comment on how easy.

Anyway, I can't imagine it would be too difficult of a task.

Also, Grover, while that is a mod, the OP pointed out that it's a very popular mod, and XenForo provides the same functionality as the mod, by default, so why not allow people (over 4,000) who have the mod installed, easily move that data over? If I have a semi-large board, with "thanks" all over the place, I'd rather not lose that data when I switch over.

Even as a plugin, this is a great idea.

Of course, this could be completely wrong and like could have its own table.
Most probably a separate table; since it's a many-to-many relationship (between user_id and post_id).

[...] why not allow people (over 4,000) who have the mod installed, easily move that data over? If I have a semi-large board, with "thanks" all over the place, I'd rather not lose that data when I switch over.
That would need a conflict-resolution because the reputations given in vB should also be imported as likes in XF. (discarding the negative reputations, of course). A process that merges the reputations & thanks roster before importing it would be ideal!

? With all due respect, but are we now expecting Xenforo to provide import-functionality for Modifications? Modifications that are in no shape or form part of an official default installation/bought vBulletin package.

Where does it end? I do not understand this request.
Well most modifications don't get many installs. But the vast number of installs for the Post Thanks mod, I think illustrates how much vB needs/people want a 'Like' system. The reputation system on vB is not quite right and compared to the thanks feature, I don't think many people use it at all.
So it would be a shame, considering that there are 792,632 records in our post_thanks table, if
  • all the effort made by our members to thank people and
  • all that data within our forum indicating how useful and appreciative our members are
is lost when we swap to xF.

didnt the early vb importers import ubb hack data, such as smilie cp and whatnot into vb?
i dont see why xf couldnt import useful hack data.

That would need a conflict-resolution because the reputations given in vB should also be imported as likes in XF. (discarding the negative reputations, of course). A process that merges the reputations & thanks roster before importing it would be ideal!
The reputation system on vB is not quite right and compared to the thanks feature, I don't think many people use it at all.
^that.

Reputation != Thanks/Like

Top Bottom