Lack of interest [Suggestion] HTML5 Embed Support for Vimeo and YouTube

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
oEmbed isn't particularly helpful, as it just gives HTML back and is thus a potential security issue. It needs to be implemented with snippets that have variables for media identifiers.

We have a licence from a TV-Station her.
The snipped we have in vB3 with own BB-Code.
That's in xF possible to?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

looks like it's done! yey!

Testing Vimeo

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Awesome. Vimeo is also using iframe.

This is pretty awesome. Thanks!

Sorta surprising that Vimeo is 768x480 while YouTube is just 500x300!

@CyberAP they have switched back to regular Adobe Flash based embed code because of some technical issues related to layers. :P

but in this case embed was just used to include videos from youtube and vimeo.

and these videos do not really relate to SEO.

the benefits were several. the biggest one was support for apple ios devices.

but since there are other technical issues... i guess we are going to stick with adobe flash based code for now. :)

I don't like youtube using iFrames for youtube videos, mostly because iFrames is bad for SEO [usually].

iframes are only bad for SEO in the sense that the SE can't see what is in the iFrame, but as the SE's can't see flash either it makes no difference if it is an iFrame or not...

Its just that, some people embed on homepages, so youtube going with iframe with their "HTML5" version would be problematic for those types of people.

Google actually has stated it several times that they can read through Flash files for text content if properly developed.

In this case of course, it does not count because embedding a YouTube or Vimeo hosted video does not really add text based content to your site.

The iframe edition of the embed code from YouTube and Vimeo is designed to be smart. They detect the browser support and run the appropriate code. In my case, I get the HTML5 player because I have set YouTube to show me that player (http://www.youtube.com/html5). Most people would get the regular Adobe Flash Player edition. Vimeo seems to run Adobe Flash Player in all cases. People running Google Android or Apple iOS based devices are likely to get the HTML5 edition by default.

The only users who would have been affected would be the ones who have disabled support for iframe in their browsers. I know a few :)

Blocking iframe support is one of the simplest way to get rid of Facebook Like button on most sites for example...

Its just that, some people embed on homepages, so youtube going with iframe with their "HTML5" version would be problematic for those types of people.

Don't get what you mean... Again SEO's can read flash (not well at least and youtube video's contain no text) either so there is no difference between a iframe or flash... none at all..

Don't get what you mean... Again SEO's can read flash either so there is no difference between a iframe or flash... none at all..
Care to explain which part of it 'don't you get'. I'm using quotations there, in case you're feeling insulted by my use of that line.
I assumed he meant that not everyone has a HTML5 compatible web browser. I might be wrong though.
No, I read the documentation for HTML5 YOUTUBE, and I read iframe somewhere.

[This documentation is the same one you would see when you're viewing a normal youtube video [page wise]. Although, just now when I check a normal youtube video on a page, the notice for HTML5 is gone, so I can't prove it.]

I like the design, the usefulness, but when I read it has some features of iframe...I'm like "meh."

well designers generally have a strong dislike for tables. but tables have their purpose in web pages. tabular data.

iframes might be hated for what they have been misused for. but they provide an excellent mode of supporting HTML5 based video embeds.

just my thoughts. :)

Top Bottom