Spam - what is Xenforo.com doing itself ? [Hallowe'en 2012]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I asume that this forum is used as a presentation tool for XenForo to show it's core product in action. It would be simply not acceptable to install any foreign addon.

Since no one develops XenForo currently, there is also no future version with a better anti-spam feature to be installed.
Which all makes sense. There needs to be more members who can simply soft delete posts then.

We are customers and I'd like to think are still part of a community looking to help.

I intend to help as well, and have done so on many occassions.

In fact, I've been and still am evangelzing XenForo whereever I go. However, without seeing any remote sign of progress, not even to try and stop the spam on the XenForo forum itself, and wheeling off the burden of that onto already busy moderators, it's becoming harder for me to do so.

I think having about a 100 different QA would definitely reduce the current spam problem, if not eliminate it.

or give Xrumer users more to train against...

You'll be proving them fuel to only grow stronger... there are better ways to defeat your enemy (if they are an enemy).

You want this, don't you? The hate is swelling in you now. Take your Jedi weapon. Use it. I am unarmed. Strike me down with it. Give in to your anger. With each passing moment you make yourself more my servant.

Although, Some bots arent all that bad ;)

I asume that this forum is used as a presentation tool for XenForo to show it's core product in action. It would be simply not acceptable to install any foreign addon.

I am worried this line of thinking is preventing a spam addon being installed here at Xenforo.com

Surely the moderators need a break !

Does this mean that XenForo is weak against spam? If I do purchase XenForo what can I do to prevent spam on my community (does XenForo provide tools to fight spam? If yes then why is this board getting spammed..?)

Please don't get me wrong, I just wish to know more about the software I am going to purchase :)

XenUtiles and KeyCaptcha to the rescue. This was just today:

12 minutes ago aadamasjunor1232 darmdorigax@ridingonthemoon.info 178.210.130.132 Email, IP
13 minutes ago aanetaeusasd6169 darmdorigax@ridingonthemoon.info 61.59.159.62 Email, IP
15 minutes ago Inopsyptoseft darmdorigax@ridingonthemoon.info 217.70.39.123 Email, IP
15 minutes ago Inopsyptoseft darmdorigax@ridingonthemoon.info 91.232.96.19 Email, IP

That was within the last 50 minutes... there are 7 pages more over the last 4 days, and my site is not even a well known one.

This is really getting ridiculous now. Kier, if you happen to be reading, something needs to be done. We can't come back to the site everyday only to see a long list of spam threads. At the very least, a a few dozen new QA questions could slow them down for a while.

Reactions: vVv
This is really getting ridiculous now. Kier, if you happen to be reading, something needs to be done. We can't come back to the site everyday only to see a long list of spam threads. At the very least, a a few dozen new QA questions could slow them down for a while.

Even installing KeyCAPTCHA would be good.

It is a security issue for our forums as far as I am concerned. Thankfully, for their customers, the 3rd party has stepped up. Unfortunately for xenForo.com, its company forums are proof that out of the box, xenForo is vulnerable to mass spam. Kier's only response to the massive spam exploit that happened here was to ban an IP address and not use one of their built in spam protection services.

xenForo is running out of time. Hopefully something happens soon.

First two post has to be approved by a moderator.

I say we install Chuck Norris and be done with it, spammers would ban themselves
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: vVv
It is becoming annoying seeing such increases in spam. I'd much rather see posts moderated than see all of the spam we've been hit with recently.

I have some evidence that simple QAs works to keep out the spammers:

Earlier this week my forum server crashed, and I decided to move to a new provider. While setting up the new forum, before I had applied my backup, the "virgin" forum was available for about 10-15 minutes. In that brief amount of time, 4 spammers had registered, and were posting ads for Canadian "stiffy pills", etc.

Once the backup was applied, with my 3-4 simple QAs, no more spam.

I don't think it's really fair to blame XF for the spam problem. They have decent tools for cleaning it up (Which I'm sure will be improved once development can commence again) and sufficient support from the community if you want a more robust third party solution.

I have some evidence that simple QAs works to keep out the spammers:

Earlier this week my forum server crashed, and I decided to move to a new provider. While setting up the new forum, before I had applied my backup, the "virgin" forum was available for about 10-15 minutes. In that brief amount of time, 4 spammers had registered, and were posting ads for Canadian "stiffy pills", etc.

Once the backup was applied, with my 3-4 simple QAs, no more spam.

I don't think it's really fair to blame XF for the spam problem. They have decent tools for cleaning it up (Which I'm sure will be improved once development can commence again) and sufficient support from the community if you want a more robust third party solution.

It's 100% KAM's fault for abandoning the forums and allowing them to get into this state. It's really as if they don't care about here any more which is just as worrying as the other issues going on.

You think it is bad now....?

Wait until the v6 IP addresses find their way onto XenForo.com

I don't imagine all the staff here has access to shell or htaccess to block them and XenForo currently does not support them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom