• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

Skimlinks - Making SkimWords only show to guests.

PVO_Dave

I really like having Skimlinks on the website, but worried about annoying registered members with words changing to affiliate links, with the help of support at Skimlinks, I got it working so everyone gets Skimlinks, but only unregistered members get SkimWords :)

Code:
<xen:if is="{$visitor.user_id}">
<script> var noskimwords = 'true'; </script>
</xen:if>
<script type="text/javascript" src="Path to skimlinks.js"></script>

Hope that helps someone :)

Dave.

I really like having Skimlinks on the website, but worried about annoying registered members with words changing to affiliate links, with the help of support at Skimlinks, I got it working so everyone gets Skimlinks, but only unregistered members get SkimWords :)

Code:

Hope that helps someone :)

Dave.
That will still load the skimlinks JS, even if the visitor isn't a guest. You should be put script tag that loads the skimlinks in the conditional, that way the JS won't load if the user isn't a guest.

Use this:

Code:
<xen:if is="!{$visitor.user_id}">
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://s.skimresources.com/js/xxxxxxxxxxx.skimlinks.js"></script>

Thanks for the replies, but did you read what I put?

I want it to load the skimlinks.js for everyone, but I don't want SkimWords enabled for anyone registered, what I've put above works how I want it :) (which is why it's in the tips section, not support for a change lol)

This step:

Code:

Stops just the SkimWords plugin loading if the user is a registered member :)

To clarify;

Skimlinks adds an affiliate click through on existing links users have posted
SkimWords looks for words like eBay, Amazon, and products and automatically adds a link to them (like what I've done to Amazon but in this case without an affiliate code)

Skimlinks is pretty much invisible, SkimWords adds actual links, so I didn't want to replace registered users words with links they didn't put in.

Dave.

I've not used VigLinks or anything similar, so I have no direct comparison, but they pay quickly, the links can be fairly unintrusive if you configure them and the support is about 100x better than Adwords for example :)

Dave.

I recently tested to exclude usergroup 7 from Skimwords and it failed using:

Code:
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://s.skimresources.com/js/*****X******.skimlinks.js"></script>
<xen:if is="{xen:helper ismemberof, $visitor, 7}">

Something I'm missing or is my code backwards? :unsure:

You need to have the exclude code before the script, I.E.

Code:
<xen:if is={xen:helper ismemberof, $visitor, 7}">

Top Bottom