Skimlinks better than viglinks?

Steven, I should add that you should get your first payment at the end of this month I would think. They seem to pay a couple days before the month ends.

Is there a minimum on the account before they mail you the check? I don't see any place in my account where they can direct deposit or send me a check?
All they have is my email address?
Not that I would expect any significant amount soon. I have used them for a month and it gets what i would make in a single day with Adsense.

There isn't a minimum that I know of and the money gets deposited directly to paypal and they pay the paypal fees.

It is definitely a per niche basis. I will agree that it doesn't compare to adsense but it does help with making money on links that were probably doing nothing other then driving traffic away from the site.

Just noticed - in my Adsense account settings - that www.viglink.com is showing as an "unauthorised site" for displaying my ads.

Any idea why it's showing up in this list? ... and should I authorise it?

Cheers,
Shaun :D

Steven, I should add that you should get your first payment at the end of this month I would think. They seem to pay a couple days before the month ends.
Finally got my first payment. $43.39. I guess I'll be seeing something on a regular basis now.
Just noticed - in my Adsense account settings - that www.viglink.com is showing as an "unauthorised site" for displaying my ads.

Any idea why it's showing up in this list? ... and should I authorise it?

Cheers,
Shaun :D
I haven't seen viglink pop up on my unauthorized list yet. It's been 3 months using viglink.
I have been adding google.* sites on a regular basis though.

I am guessing sites like avforums.com will do much better than recipes or personal stories sites.

I may give both a try in the future.

Got to love the wording on this:
  • Will I earn the same amount I would earn if I created the affiliate links myself?
    Because of our scale we can negotiate the very best commissions for our publishers, which means you can earn up to 110% of what you would have earned if you managed your affiliate links program yourself. Skimlinks retains 25% of the commission payment from the merchant, and the rest we pay to you.
Source: http://www.skimlinks.com/faq

So you could potentially get 110% (not for every vendor/circumstance) but Skimlinks takes 25% of that which no matter how you look at it will leave you with less than if you were to do it yourself. Instead of just coming out and saying that they imho try to obfuscate it a bit. Not that this obfuscation works if you are even mildly paying attention, but still, it's lame.

They should just come out and say that they are taking a quarter because they feel that they earn it based on the service they provide.
Personally I am not convinced. I'd probably stick with direct affiliation with the larger vendors and then run Skim/vig for the stuff that the direct affiliations don't catch. All they do is an URL rewrite, how difficult can it be to do this yourself? ;)

I'm not giving away specific figures, but for my big board it's averaging over $500 per month in the dashboard. I'm not sure though, if this figure represents the amount I will be paid, or whether the Viglink commission will be removed before I'm paid, or whether that's the sales and I'll get a percentage of that?

I'm pleased I gave it a try because it has had virtually no effect on the running of the site and my members hardly batted an eyelid when I announced it was active on the site. It seems they don't have a real problem with me earning a bit for running the forums. Go figure :)

What it shows in the dashboard is what you will end up being paid. I believe what is shown in the dashboard is after any of their commission is taken out. We are far from a big board, we were doing really good there for a while and when I say really good it is no where near what you guys have said but that is to be expected since we are a smaller site. For some reason the last month and a half the revenue has dropped some but I think too that we are not posting as many links as we have been.

What it shows in the dashboard is what you will end up being paid.

Thanks - that's good to know.

I plan to treat all my moderators with the first few months of revenue - they've been helping me out for ages and putting lots of time in to keep the site running sweet, so they deserve a bit of spoiling in return (not that they'd ever ask, but you know what I mean) ... :)

Thanks - that's good to know.

I plan to treat all my moderators with the first few months of revenue - they've been helping me out for ages and putting lots of time in to keep the site running sweet, so they deserve a bit of spoiling in return (not that they'd ever ask, but you know what I mean) ... :)

I know exactly what you mean. Once we get to the point where the expenses are covered I plan on treating the members of staff that help keep the site going to most and have always been by my side.

I know exactly what you mean. Once we get to the point where the expenses are covered I plan on treating the members of staff that help keep the site going to most and have always been by my side.
That is a nice gesture. Since I'm paying income tax on my site revenue I don't see that happening for me.
I only have a few mods and take heart of their suggestions.
Back on topic, sort of.
I like that my viglink revenue goes directly to my paypal account, as well as my vibrantmedia revenue.
Now only if adsense was direct deposit to my paypal I could get hit by a bus my hosting fews will still be paid.

Income has been low with viglink. My only affiliate links are ebay and maybe craig's list.

That is a nice gesture. Since I'm paying income tax on my site revenue I don't see that happening for me.
I only have a few mods and take heart of their suggestions.
Back on topic, sort of.
I like that my viglink revenue goes directly to my paypal account, as well as my vibrantmedia revenue.
Now only if adsense was direct deposit to my paypal I could get hit by a bus my hosting fews will still be paid.

Income has been low with viglink. My only affiliate links are ebay and maybe craig's list.

The niche of your site and my site pretty much elate to ebay links. Not too much stuff on some of the other affiliates that our members link to. Unless you do articles and bring some of the other affiliates in to the mix.

The niche of your site and my site pretty much elate to ebay links. Not too much stuff on some of the other affiliates that our members link to. Unless you do articles and bring some of the other affiliates in to the mix.
I'm not complaining. It's found money. :)

Top Bottom