Showcase (Reviews, Guides, Garage, Directory etc)

Showcase (Reviews, Guides, Garage, Directory etc) [Paid] 2.9.0

No permission to buy ($55.00)
Not only does it look awesome... it is awesome. @Bob B did a fantastic job with it. With just some phrase changes it can go from a Product Review to a Garage to a Product Showcase. :D

But can it do all of them at once? That's the limitation the RM has. Either way, I'm already invested down another road for now. Just wanted to compliment a job well done.

But can it do all of them at once? That's the limitation the RM has. Either way, I'm already invested down another road for now. Just wanted to compliment a job well done.
With some tweaks I'm pretty sure it could. Also just assigning Main categories of Garage, Product Reviews and Showcase. But it really depends on what you are trying to do with it.

Reactions: Bob
Aw man. This addon looks awesome. I wish I would have known about it before I bought the RM. I wouldn't have had to do all the hacks on it to make it usable for a gaming site. :)

Trust me CM you won't regret purchasing this add-on. Packed with ton of features and you can pretty much adapt it to your needs due to it's versatility.

I can see that. But I already purchased the RM so....

Ah I see. I thought you wanted to use it in conjunction with the RM. If you want to ever give it a test run CM you are more than free to try it on my test site which I'll give you admincp access to.

Ah I see. I thought you wanted to use it in conjunction with the RM. If you want to ever give it a test run CM you are more than free to try it on my test site which I'll give you admincp access to.

Well, if it ever added instancing I would probably consider switching. I have a lot of work into the RM now though. Also, like most of these mods, RM included, they need to have in node display options. Most users of forums want to see things in the forums and anything you can place in node view is going to get more use. Only a percentage of users wander off into tabs and header links and such.

Did you switch your smiley stuff over?

Well, if it ever added instancing I would probably consider switching. I have a lot of work into the RM now though. Also, like most of these mods, RM included, they need to have in node display options. Most users of forums want to see things in the forums and anything you can place in node view is going to get more use. Only a percentage of users wander off into tabs and header links and such.

Did you switch your smiley stuff over?

Your able to associate a thread with showcase if that's what your referring to. I've done it here http://www.bbsmiley.com/showcase/angry-bird-smilies.4/ (You'll notice the discussion tab) and the associated thread is here http://www.bbsmiley.com/threads/angry-bird-emoticons.260/

I personally don't use the showcase to post resources as such I still use standard nodes in forums and on occasion the RM. I'm primarily using Showcase to showoff W.I.P graphic packs and other misc unreleased material.

Your able to associate a thread with showcase if that's what your referring to. I've done it here http://www.bbsmiley.com/showcase/angry-bird-smilies.4/ (You'll notice the discussion tab) and the associated thread is here http://www.bbsmiley.com/threads/angry-bird-emoticons.260/

Threads yes but I would like the actual Resource/Showcase item to be listed like a thread in it's own node if so chosen by the admin. Some things are topical to forums and not so much categories. And I have found in most cases, with the RM, people click the thread link and never even see the actual resource. These are not problems on an admin oriented site but a typical site like gaming, yes. But then I am really forum centric.

As I said, it's a really nice looking addon. Had I known of it when I started I probably would have gone this way. Will I recommend it to others? Most definitely.

Threads yes but I would like the actual Resource/Showcase item to be listed like a thread in it's own node if so chosen by the admin. Some things are topical to forums and not so much categories. And I have found in most cases, with the RM, people click the thread link and never even see the actual resource. These are not problems on an admin oriented site but a typical site like gaming, yes. But then I am really forum centric.

As I said, it's a really nice looking addon. Had I known of it when I started I probably would have gone this way. Will I recommend it to others? Most definitely.

I wasn't trying to convince you mainly replying that thread association could be done. Listed like a thread? Like so >> http://www.bbsmiley.com/showcase/ (I've temp switch the view from grid to listings in the showcase options.

Screenshot_1.webp

I personally don't use the showcase to post resources as such I still use standard nodes in forums and on occasion the RM. I'm primarily using Showcase to showoff W.I.P graphic packs and other misc unreleased material.

Ok this is one thing I was wondering. My site is a car forum. I have a section for build threads. I didn't really want to have them split. So with this I can have the thread part of a members showcase go right to the build thread section? If so I'm sold.

James

Ok this is one thing I was wondering. My site is a car forum. I have a section for build threads. I didn't really want to have them split. So with this I can have the thread part of a members showcase go right to the build thread section? If so I'm sold.

James
You specify which forum you want the threads created in. You can also link a new showcase item to an existing thread.

Create the showcase item and let it create the thread.
Find the number of the end if the existing thread URL.
Edit the showcase item and enter the existing thread url number in the correct field and save.
Delete the newly created blank thread, leaving the original behind.

Result is showcase item linked to existing thread. I've already done this on a few existing ones on my site.

James

If I read correctly, yes. If you have an existing thread and you want to associate that discussion thread with your showcase item you would insert that discussion ID into the showcase item option. Hopefully I understood you correctly.

Screenshot_2.webp

You specify which forum you want the threads created in. You can also link a new showcase item to an existing thread.

Create the showcase item and let it create the thread.
Find the number of the end if the existing thread URL.
Edit the showcase item and enter the existing thread url number in the correct field and save.
Delete the newly created blank thread, leaving the original behind.

Result is showcase item linked to existing thread. I've already done this on a few existing ones on my site.
Same here. This is an example with a large build thread attached to it:
http://www.z22se.co.uk/garage/evos-supercharged-astra-coupe-2-2-2004.5/

Thanks @Shelley . I actually went through it all again last night and changed a few more of the phrases around. I replaces "showcase item" with "vehicle" to make it more content specific.

Thanks @Shelley . I actually went through it all again last night and changed a few more of the phrases around. I replaces "showcase item" with "vehicle" to make it more content specific.

Alot of the info within the tabs, they're done using the showcase custom fields right? If so I really need to start tinkering with custom fields.

Alot of the info within the tabs, they're done using the showcase custom fields right? If so I really need to start tinkering with custom fields.
Not in my case. The tabs are just the standard 5 item tabs that you can create.

The custom fields I've got set up are used to populate a section in the side bar

upload_2013-10-12_23-50-52.webp

You have to like it when your questions are answered so quick and by so many people. (y) Thanks everyone.

Looks like it is exactly what I want. Looks like this is my next purchase. This is something I feel my forum has been missing. My forum is still young but I feel this is needed to get it to where I want to go.

@MattW Now that is the type of build thread I want on my site.

James

Top Bottom