Setting threads to "private"

Alvin63

My new forum is one where members don't want guests reading their posts. So in permissions, I've set "View threads by others" to off. Guests can now currently see the home page (with articles) and the resources section, but all nodes have "Private" next to them.

A few questions:

1) Will this stop google crawling the site and affect search engine results?
2) Is there another way to just ask people to register before viewing the forum?
3) Is there a way of changing the wording or colour of the notice that comes up saying "You do not have permission to do this" as in red and with that wording, it could be more user friendly. Like "Only registered members are permitted to view this".

Thanks.

Ah ok. But as "View threads by others" is only off for unregistered members, presumably registered members can still view all threads?

I did try setting view permissions to "no" for unregistered group, but then nothing at all showed on the forum so it looked a bit dead. It kind of looks better with "private" next to each node heading. If I did it right that is.

It means I could probably do with some kind of welcoming notice for guests encouraging them to register as well.

So are google bots classed as guests/unregistered members? And will they be able to crawl threads?

Ok so I'm having one node that is private on a certain topic. The idea being that only established users can post in it. But it's still visible on the forum. So do I set up a user group promotion for members who have been registered for x weeks - then set the node to private and set node permissions for that user group?

I've been reading a few posts via search about how to set a node to private for a particular user group, but I'm still a bit confused. I've only added specific member names for a private node before (eg a private moderator node).

So what I'm needing to do here is - have one node heading private until members have been registered for a period of time or have a certain number of points.

Presumably I set up a usergroup promotion that all members go into when they've reached that criteria, and then set private node permissions for that promoted usergroup - is that right? But how do I'm confused as to how I leave the node visible to all, but only promotion group able to read or post in it.

Another disadvantage to setting forums to "private" is that since guests can't see what the forum is about / like.... they are most likely going to "bounce" and not join.

If you want to GROW a forum, I think it is very important that guests aka "prospective members" can get a feel for the forum community. What kind of information is there? What kind of people / members are there? What is the "vibe?"

The reality is that without being able to SEE and experience the forum, most guests will not turn into registered members.

Now... you can always have a specific section (or sections) that are private where members can post "privately." Though, the notion that it's actually "private" is rather naive.

In any case, I submit forums that want to GROW must be open.

Thanks yes. I realised that later :) So am just going to have a private node. Just working out how to set node permissions and whether or not I need a promoted usergroup - which I'm guessing I do.

So would I just set the node permissions to yes for the promoted user group? And leave everything else as before? The promoted usergroup would basically be registered members who have been registered for x weeks and had x number of posts. So that would end up being everyone eventually.

I'm also wondering how to set the private node to visible for those who don't have permissions to read and post in it. Or whether or not that is necessary - I guess once they're promoted it would just appear.

Actually maybe I'm confusing Private Node wth Node permissions? As in, perhaps I don't need to set it to private, but just set permissions for that node. I still think I'd need a separate user group and assume that would need to be a user group promotion?

So am just going to have a private node. Just working out how to set node permissions and whether or not I need a promoted usergroup - which I'm guessing I do.
You will need a specific user group for use of that node... then you will need to give that specific user group to have access to it, and others to not.
Depending on how you want to grant access to that node, it will be based upon promotions... using whatever criteria you set... or you will manually add them to it.
From what I gathered... a private node you grant specific USER access... not group.
You will have to disable group(s) access to that node.

Screen Shot 2023-07-12 at 7.05.25 AM.webp

Thanks. So I'd create a specific user group (which would be all registered members of 3 months and with x number of posts) - but presumably that user group would need to be a promotion from registered members? So I'd then need to set node permissions for ALL user groups - is that right? So the specific usergroup would have yes, and the rest no I assume?

Also if doing that, would the node be visible to those without permissions, but just not accessible?

Yes, you would need to promote that user group based upon whatever criteria you decide.. then you need to grant specific access to THAT user group to THAT node... and deny it for others.
Depending on what settings you use.. that node would NOT be visible to others.
It's VERY similar to what I use for a Banned Users node.

My admin user account.

Screen Shot 2023-07-12 at 7.32.42 AM.webp

A normal user account

Screen Shot 2023-07-12 at 7.33.48 AM.webp

If you aren't in the Banned user group or an admin/moderator.. you don't see the I'm Banned node.

Thanks. So what I've done is set a Node category for this section which explains the section is only for veritifed members. And then a node forum within that category. So presumably then, if I just set the permissions for the node forum, that will not be visible, except to verified members - but the category heading will still be visible. Is that right?

Thanks. So what I've done is set a Node category for this section which explains the section is only for veritifed members. And then a node forum within that category. So presumably then, if I just set the permissions for the node forum, that will not be visible, except to verified members - but the category heading will still be visible. Is that right?
Should work... since the category is visible to all, the node itself is restricted.

The other thing is, as this one is quite new, none of the existing members will meet the criteria yet for the user promotion group, so can I still add individual members permissions as well - so they can use it now?

You can manually add any you want.. but if your promotions are based upon certain criteria that can remove them if they don't "maintain" that... your manually added ones will never be removed.
You don't "add" individual user permissions.. you simply add that user to the group as a secondary group.

Ok. I've noticed you can manually add someone to the promoted group though, so that should solve it.

I've set up the promotion group. And ticked for registered users. And set for 90 days and with 50 posts. Will this automatically apply now or is there something else I need to do to ensure registered members get promoted to the group after 90 days?

Top Bottom