Fixed Select-to-Quote Weirdness When Ending on Blank Line

pegasus

When a post contains multiple lines,

like so, with double line-breaks between,

the control for the Quote function may appear in an unexpected location.

Although not in this image, it is particularly unexpected when an image is above the selection
select-quote-weird.webp
Highlight this and the following empty line to see.

Small tweak.

Also when highlighting this (final) line so that the full width is selected (drag to the next line), then no control appears at all.

I saw this on my phone, I thought it was just a strange thing with the way things highlight.

Apparently not.

Also when highlighting this (final) line so that the full width is selected (drag to the next line), then no control appears at all.
Just to comment that this isn't really unexpected. The selection is probably including something outside of the message itself and thus not considered valid. Probably unlikely to change but would need more analysis.

I suspect the same fix for the new-line issue would fix triple-click, as the selections appear very similar.

@Mike, also note that triple-click on the final line/paragraph results in the final-line behavior I described, and is not human-expected to highlight anything "outside" the original message. Yet it still yields no quote-control.

A fix for this is being rolled out now.

also note that triple-click on the final line/paragraph results in the final-line behavior I described, and is not human-expected to highlight anything "outside" the original message. Yet it still yields no quote-control.
This is one of the tricky cases comparing what a human sees vs the browser doing. It's actually selecting down to the beginning of the next visible line (the cursor is at the next line). Depending on the markup, this could be an edit note, a signature, or the "private controls row". I don't know if much would be done to change this as it changes quite a lot in the code.

Top Bottom