Implemented "Search this thread"

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Shouldn't super long threads be discouraged ?
Are there performance problems for the forum as a whole with super long threads ?

For me, most of my "Thread searching" was trying to find information regarding a Plugin. The popular plugins would be 700-20,000 posts long with the information I needed scattered throughout.

I found that vBulletin did a major disservice to Addon makers to make them support their entire product in one thread. It was impossible to find anything and it was HUGE waste of time trying to read it all. I would be surprised to see xenforo replicate that disservice.

Do search engines love super long threads ?
Is one 500 post thread better than 5 x 100 post threads ?

Are there performance problems for the forum as a whole with super long threads ?
Not that I know of. Xenforo uses a "position" based method of selecting messages from a discussion, so it exactly knows which 20 messages need to be displayed on a given page. Here's a related thread:

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/implementation-details.4788/#post-77587

I found that vBulletin did a major disservice to Addon makers to make them support their entire product in one thread.
There have been some addons which were allowed to have a separate sub-forum for support issues. But I hope XenForo doesn't go this way.

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=99
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=185 (Archive)

This is a feature I miss frequently. There was a thread I really wanted to review today, but it's over 35 pages long and I just don't have that kind of time.

Seems simple to make the search box search based on where you are. Like if you are in a thread and use the search box, it searches that thread, in a forum, searches that forum. Keeps everything clean and simple.

Even more critical for when add-on support threads here get into the scores of pages, and the part you need is page 45 of 123 pages
If addons were respected as important entities, they wouldn't be relegated to just one thread.
You can't create and document and support an addon optimally in one thread.

Shouldn't Addon makers be allowed to have a Poll about their addon ?

Why is it acceptable that people's support issues are scattered all over hundreds of posts - effectively making the needed information impossible to find. In a forum, less relevant information sinks to the bottom and the good stuff floats to the surface. In a post, useless crap is stuck there forever !

Why was it acceptable to have mega threads for plugins ?

Isn't the obvious answer to a Thread being way too long ....... to give it it's own forum ? Surely it is.

If addons were respected as important entities, they wouldn't be relegated to just one thread.
You can't create and document and support an addon optimally in one thread.

Shouldn't Addon makers be allowed to have a Poll about their addon ?

Why is it acceptable that people's support issues are scattered all over hundreds of posts - effectively making the needed information impossible to find. In a forum, less relevant information sinks to the bottom and the good stuff floats to the surface. In a post, useless crap is stuck there forever !

Why was it acceptable to have mega threads for plugins ?

Isn't the obvious answer to a Thread being way too long ....... to give it it's own forum ? Surely it is.

Indeed, vbulletin.org is a ghastly mess in that regard - now if someone would have made a "Hide 'Does this work with vBseo'" plugin...

Yes please - I just went to the [LN] Blog thread and found it has 31 pages of posts. Somewhere in amongst that they are discussing importers ... but I really don't have time to be reading through 31 pages to find out where. I'm sure if I tried searching the forum I would get a LOT of unnecessary results to sift through as well - so that's not idea.

Thread liked.

I have discovered what could be a "reasonable" workaround via google search.
I think it could serve as the basis for a temporary "hack".

Using google site search feature ... site:xenforo.com ... but use the whole URL !

Suggestion Posted here.

xenforo-search-within-a-thread-via-google-site-search-jpg.16835

Demo: search for "duplicate" in this thread and you get two hits ... one on page 2 and another on page 3.

Top Bottom