Roadmap / planned features

• Thread starter Thread starter ragtek
  • Start date Start date
R

ragtek

I spent several days planing and writing code for my feed importer add-on, which became now useless because it's already implemented in beta6.

I know that's hard and xenforo will always implement some features, which were already covered by an add-on, but it would be really nice to have at least a "small list" of planed features for the next version(s) to not spend time with developing things which will became useless:p

I remember having a conversation with Kier on IRC about this very problem. One of the biggest customer complaints about VBulletin is the lack of (visible) direction. I firmly believe that, as we are so close to the developers, we should have more of an insight as to what is coming. Take the suggestions forum, identify and tell us if any of those are on the books to be coded. Even if you do not give a timeline at least we would know. Personally I believe that in the eyes of MAK XF, the end product, is not simply a forum but a "social networking" site in a box (once all the features they are planning are implemented, and no not a FB competitor).

It pains me to see developers coding addons and then finding that their hardwork has been for nothing as the same functionality has been added to the core product. (No this is not aimed at XF/VB/SMF/etc just a general obversation seen over the last 15 years).

Please do not go the way of your previous employers and make the same mistakes. Publish a non commercially sensitive plan that just details some of the things that you will be implementing in XF. Examples: thread prefixes, custom profile fields, infraction system, gallery, preview post, the kitchen sink etc :p Seriously none of the requests I have just mentioned are commercially sensitive in anyway. You are not listing details of how you are going to implement them, just that at some point you will be.

Publish a non commercially sensitive plan that just details some of the things that you will be implementing in XF.

IMO they are all commercially sensitive no matter how small they are. At the end of the day Kier and Mike will not want vBulletin, invision or any other software team to know any new features until its too late for them to catch up, and in the same respect will not want them to know how fast they are catchin the features many of us take for granted on other peices of software.

I for one will stand up and say dont release a roadmap .... I do plan to create mods for xenforo and if they end up in the main software, well hell sh** happens as the phrase goes.

IMO they are all commercially sensitive no matter how small they are. At the end of the day Kier and Mike will not want vBulletin, invision or any other software team to know any new features until its too late for them to catch up, and in the same respect will not want them to know how fast they are catchin the features many of us take for granted on other peices of software.

I for one will stand up and say dont release a roadmap .... I do plan to create mods for xenforo and if they end up in the main software, well hell sh** happens as the phrase goes.

Um, how can they be commercially sensitive with regard to VB, IBP if they state they are releasing a gallery, infraction system or something else that those products already offer? As for speed of delivery, it has already been demonstrated that they can deliver quickly due to the framework that they operate in. Let's be frank, 90% of the feature requests that customers (current and potential) are asking for are ALREADY in competing products. Like it or not, XenForo is playing catchup not the other way round.

the other guys dont have like systems, activity feeds, event invite with attend/not attend functionality. Saying xF is playing catchup is pretty ignorant. xF is way ahead.

Pardon? I can see a what's new in VB, I have a gallery, infraction system, event attendance mod, reputation system (ala like) and hundreds more mods than are available in XF. Trust me, if XF was NOT playing catchup many more boards would have converted to it by now, have they? No, why? Because XF lacks in features of VB, IBP and others. That is a fact. Trust me, I am not dissing XF (I own 3 licences). I am just stating fact.

reputation system is not even close to the 'like' feature. vB has had that for years and no one uses it. Event attendance isnt built in to vB. The basic vB hasnt really changed in years. Where is the activity feed for vB? Comparing basic vB (GOLD) to xF Beta, I and my members prefer xF BETA. Its not even released as a gold standard yet, thats why no one as you put it has jumped on board by the thousands.

vB fears xF and its not because its playing catchup.

reputation system is not even close to the 'like' feature. vB has had that for years and no one uses it. Event attendance isnt built in to vB. The basic vB hasnt really changed in years. Where is the activity feed for vB? Comparing basic vB (GOLD) to xF Beta, I and my members prefer xF BETA. Its not even released as a gold standard yet, thats why no one as you put it has jumped on board by the thousands.

vB fears xF and its not because its playing catchup.

The reputation system is used on many forums, maybe not yours. Like or not, the reputation system allows members to show how they feel about a post. Just like al ike system. Event attendance is not built into VB just like it is NOT built into XF. Actually, show me the basic calendar built into XF. I must be going mad as I cannot seem to find it. The activity feed is different between XF and VB, much like comparing apples to oranges. Still, I stand by my point, XF is the one playing catchup to the other competitors. Not the other way round.

now now people .... was only an opinion LOL

Was just saying that if XF is playing catchup, which I agree they are then its a lot better for them to keep stum about how fast and in which areas. For example, we know that the forum software is outclassing vbulletin and invision alike even if it is missing a few bits at present. So do XF's competitors. So Kier and Mike announce that they will be doing a fully featured CMS, and IPS/Vbull think to themselves "ok maybe its time to get ours up to scratch". With the secrecy it means that XF come out with a new product that is better than the competitors version and leave then competitors trailing behind in one area, and then the next, and then the next.

The activity feed is different between XF and VB, much like comparing apples to oranges.

like apples to nothing you mean.

Im waiting for a calendar and a gallery myself. but they're not going to catch up to vB, its going to put there's to shame. See what Im saying. Why would they try to do the same stuff as vB, when same is such a disappointment.

like apples to nothing you mean.

Im waiting for a calendar and a gallery myself. but they're not going to catch up to vB, its going to put there's to shame. See what Im saying. Why would they try to do the same stuff as vB, when same is such a disappointment.

Same for me. I would love to switch to Xenforo, but without event calendar and gallery it's hard to do so.. other small mods I might be able to replace or rewrite on my own, but a complete gallery is not possible with my current knowledge.

So, please let us know what's planned. Keep the dates away, just like what's going first, what's after and so on..

So, please let us know what's planned. Keep the dates away, just like what's going first, what's after and so on..
That's what i mean.

Just a little announcement "we're planing to include profile fields in the next version, also we're planing to add thread rating in one of the next versions, .." so the people could know, if they should hire a coder for this(because they switched already to xenforo and need this feature ASAP...) or a add-on coder thought, that he could code this, to make something for the xf community, because feature xyz was requested..

At least the "missing standard features" would be useful, i don't mean the hidden wow-effect features, which none of the competitors have.

I never understood the need for a roadmap.

If a roadmap was made available there would be countless amount of threads being created (because it falls into the category) "can't keep everyone happy" and groups of people shouting out "why is this being included?" "why was this not being included" etc etc and so forth. Needless to say these topics that would arise would most likely take up the devs time.

As well as that. why give competitors the chance to see what's being developed? It's proven that some features have already been duplicated on some software. I personally like the surprise that the devs have up their sleeves when they announce that spiffy feature or when it's included in the updates. Not to mention I think Kier and Mike have more than proven themselves in implementing good features which during this beta they constantly build upon and improve.

Like I stated in another thread, I am perfectly happy with the path that's been taken, enough faith to trust what we request in the request area will be developed and implemented into the core with improvements made to those features. The track record of KAM speaks for itself.

Roadmaps are way over rated and only cause unrest when you don't see what you would like in that roadmap. Just my 2 pennies worth.

I never understood the need for a roadmap.

If a roadmap was made available there would be countless amount of threads being created (because it falls into the category) "can't keep everyone happy" and groups of people shouting out "why is this being included?" "why was this not being included" etc etc and so forth. Needless to say these topics that would arise would most likely take up the devs time.

Oh, if you're fully happy with the feature set, there is no need for a roadmap. Or if you're buying xenforo just to kick IB's ass. But if you're desperately waiting for some features, then you need one. Again, I love how xenforo works and I for myself would switch immediately my current vB installation.

But that's for me and not for my 10k+ of users. Some of the features of vB 3.x are killers for my board, without them a majority of my users will be disappointed and leave or at least won't come that often. Let's take for example custom user titles: There's a game on where mods and admins can define the titles for the users. Really funny and it's been playing since 2003. To drop that feature is not an option.

Now what should I do? Best is to wait if xenforo comes with such an option or not. And for me it's not about the money - I'm lucky to say that my forums are financed by a sponsor - , it's about time! Time to evaluate solutions. Time to develop own addons for a product or not. Time to do a custom design. Time which is lost if there will never be any solution for my needs (due to that a) it's not in the official package or b) there is no addon or c) I'm not able to do it on my own) and I won't use xenforo at all.

See my point?

As well as that. why give competitors the chance to see what's being developed? It's proven that some features have already been duplicated on some software. I personally like the surprise that the devs have up their sleeves when they announce that spiffy feature or when it's included in the updates. Not to mention I think Kier and Mike have more than proven themselves in implementing good features which during this beta they constantly build upon and improve..

See, IMHO the best thing about xenforo is not what it does, but how! There are thousands of galleries out there and I hate 99,9% of them. They show pictures, right, but it's a pain to use them. So if you're saying that you plan to program a gallery - without mention the details - that's nothing which can be used by the competitors! And even if you mention some details no one knows how it will look like in the end.

Oh, if you're fully happy with the feature set, there is no need for a roadmap. Or if you're buying xenforo just to kick IB's ass. But if you're desperately waiting for some features, then you need one. Again, I love how xenforo works and I for myself would switch immediately my current vB installation.

But that's for me and not for my 10k+ of users. Some of the features of vB 3.x are killers for my board, without them a majority of my users will be disappointed and leave or at least won't come that often. Let's take for example custom user titles: There's a game on where mods and admins can define the titles for the users. Really funny and it's been playing since 2003. To drop that feature is not an option.

Now what should I do? Best is to wait if xenforo comes with such an option or not. And for me it's not about the money - I'm lucky to say that my forums are financed by a sponsor - , it's about time! Time to evaluate solutions. Time to develop own addons for a product or not. Time to do a custom design. Time which is lost if there will never be any solution for my needs (due to that a) it's not in the official package or b) there is no addon or c) I'm not able to do it on my own) and I won't use xenforo at all.

See my point?

See, IMHO the best thing about xenforo is not what it does, but how! There are thousands of galleries out there and I hate 99,9% of them. They show pictures, right, but it's a pain to use them. So if you're saying that you plan to program a gallery - without mention the details - that's nothing which can be used by the competitors! And even if you mention some details no one knows how it will look like in the end.

I didn't say I was fully happy with the feature set. I'm happy, satisfied in the approach Mike and Kier are taking, took so to speak. I can see your point, but that doesn't change a thing if a roadmap is published and one of the planned features you wanted doesn't make your list. However, it would possibly lead you to create a thread and many others asking why isn't this being included in this build, that build. My point being is it does cause more unreast within a community than it does good. I'm not saying a roadmap shouldn't be published, or won't it might very well be in mikes & kiers plans to do so but that would be a little premature at this point? During a beta release leading up to a 1.0 gold release?

I can bet a Downloads system, gallery, cms will be made. when? I don't know, it's a guessing game at this point I would much rather the focus being spent (i've said this a hundred times) building a strong foundation during these early stages so that when the time comes when Mike and Kier are happy with the stabilty they can announce some kind of roadmap.

I'm not against a roadmap totally but it's something I feel that does upset a lot of people when they don't like what's being included. A roadmap at this point is too premature. Again, this is just my opinion which will differ just like opinions will differ with people when they don't see that feature they wanted in the roadmap.

Pardon? I can see a what's new in VB.... <snip>

I just wanted to reference this part of your post as this was a major for me over at vB.

Just because they have a What's New link in their navigation, which only brings up the new posts (silly to have a duplicate link) this is in no way compared to how Kier and Mike have designed this system.

To imply that the vB What's New option is on the same playing field as xF's is simply wrong.

When I ran vB I requested an activity stream, that got nothing but it's can't be dones.... then when they came out with vB 4.0 I asked to expand the What's New tab, and that was suppose to happen after Gold...

When I ran IPB I joined in the ranks asking for an activity stream and that got no where, they kept saying it would be a 'server killer' a 'resource hog'. A user created an IPB mod, but it's lacking in bits so it's not a complete picture..

And now, we have Kier and Mike working on xF and out of the box, in a Beta version, they have what a lot of us have been asking for since 'the dawn of time'...

No, I don't think xF is playing catch up, not when it comes to the core product (which matters the most to me) ... Add-ons and mods aside... xF is King.

Jamie

The pros of providing a roadmap outweigh the cons when keeping addon coders in mind. Not for general customers as shelley said, it will always disappoint some no matter what is there in the roadmap.

But as addon coders i think, there's a simple way to resolve the problem. You can send a PM to Mike/Kier or Brogan to ask them if what you are going to start coding is being developed. Since guys like Ragtek, Jaxel, DI etc have very good reputation, I am sure you will get a response and decide whether or not to start a major coding effort.

why give competitors the chance to see what's being developed? It's proven that some features have already been duplicated on some software.

A roadmap stating "yes, we will develop a gallery in 2011" or "we will develop a CMS in 2011" would give the competition no advantage as they already have such features. The big advantage of Xenforo is not that it has certain features (e.g. attachments) but in the way the features are implemented: thoughtful.

Top Bottom