Fixed Right click paste in conversation recipient field

Mr Lucky

I'll post here as I'm not sure it's a bug, and even if it is then it's presumably a trivial one.

It seems that right click paste into the conversation recipient field does not work ie no right click menu at all available. CTRL V (or CMD V on Mac) is fine.

Not a big deal as the key command works, I'm just curious more than anything.

It's sort of as designed (by the developers of that component, Select2).

Although it looks like a normal text input, it's actually not. There's a bunch of stuff going on in that area to make it do what it does, though I might try and see if I can improve it slightly.

1510924306565.webp

See the little blue and orange section near the tooltip? That's the actual text input. So you can right click and paste but only in that very small area. I'm not sure what effect there will be if we try to increase its width, though we'll look at that.

Workaround is if you want to right click and paste, then you'll need to do it near where the flashing caret is in the input.

There's an outstanding issue for Select2 to look at with regards to this. Unfortunately there isn't really an ideal workaround out of the box. Although we could increase the width of the input (by forcibly overriding the width set by Select2) it does have other side effects, particularly this:
1511273146955.webp
The input has expanded to two lines, even though there's clearly enough room to write some more names on the first line.

I was going to compromise by forcing the width to be slightly wider than the existing 0.75em but the width is dynamically adjusted by the library so that won't work.

Ultimately, I don't see a great workaround here.

As it happens, we've just spotted another way to solve this with a bit more CSS that behaves a bit more sensibly, so consider that fixed for the next release.

Top Bottom