XF 2.1 Restricting forum view based on AGE...?! How-to do?...

Sadly this is something that ought to be possible via the criteria for user group promotions. However even if it did it would require everyone to fill in the date of birth fiied which as privacy issues. Not to mention the fact that people lie about their age online anyway.

Having said that,I can't guarantee it, but it looks like this add-on:

might work for adding criteria (date before...) that determines someones supposed age (if the did fill in the D.O.B accurately) that can be used for user group promotion.

It's a long shot but it may work...

Last edited:
Actually I'm talking rubbish - this can be done easily without an addon. (If it's what I think you mean., ie viewing a specific forum not the entire forum itself - which would be easy based on the registration fields).

• Add a user custom field e.g. I am over 18 with a single checkbox (yes)
  • Create a user group (e.g. over 18)
  • make the forum viewable only by that group
  • Create a promotion whose user field criteria requires that custom filed to be ticked and adds them to the group.
So users have to go to their account and tick the box. They will then be added to the group and now have permission to view the forum

Obviously this relies on the honesty of people saying they are over 18. To actually have concrete proof would be very difficult.

Underaged members will just tick the checkbox and gain their access.

Yes, I have mentioned that people will lie, but there is no automated way round that. I think some sites may use a credit card as actual proof of age.
DoB cannot be edited by the member. Once they have filled it in their age is set in stone.

Correct and this makes sense. But what I'm suggesting is not based on having entered a DOB, just ticking an over 18 box.

Yes, I have mentioned that people will lie, but there is no automated way round that. I think some sites may use a credit card as actual proof of age.
I do not allow any underage members on my sites. In my experience the DoB setting is highly effective because underage users generally do not realize the consequences of filling in a DoB. And after that they are locked in. This works for 95% of registrations. Once they find out they do try to register a new account. A sticky multiple account detector is needed for that.

You can do that, but insisting on DOB could put a lot of people off. Unless it's my bank, HMRC, or insurance company no web site needs to know my date of birth . If they make it compulsory I either don't register or I put the wrong one in. Why do they need it?

I just use an "I am over 13" tick box as that is relevant to my site.

If a site has truly adult content, I believe by law they now have to have much stricter checks than ticking a box, as mentioned via credit card or some other more foolproof system. Even then, of course not isn't foolproof.

Top Bottom