Random Thoughts...

Status
Not open for further replies.
INTJ's think outside the box.

I would agree with that if not had I clicked your link in your signature to bloat a gallery with suggestion of features that it doesn't need. I mean, I could use my Taiga Chat as a gallery it wouldn't mean I'm thinking outside the box just means I'm using a product that wasn't intended what it was designed to do. What does Omniua's Blog don't do as a blog that the Gallery does? I'm genuinely curious.

Screen Shot 2013-07-29 at 15.58.32.webp

Coming on better than I expected..

Trying to see where @DRE actually made a suggestion to anything related to XMG in his signature. From what I read, it is what he PLANS on doing himself, through paying a coder. So, in the end, why does it matter?

Reactions: DRE
I would agree with that if not had I clicked your link in your signature to bloat a gallery with suggestion of features that it doesn't need. I mean, I could use my Taiga Chat as a gallery it wouldn't mean I'm thinking outside the box just means I'm using a product that wasn't intended what it was designed to do. What does Omniua's Blog don't do as a blog that the Gallery does? I'm genuinely curious.
There are no blog suggestions in Chris' XMG resource or on his site: http://xenmediagallery.com/forums/suggestions.8/ The link is to a discussion thread about how I'm personally customizing XMG. Why I'd rather use XMG instead of Omniua's blog: I am customizing XMG according to the way my members use the site's current blog (Better Blogs), Showcase and XenMedio. What I have learned is that there's only a few people blogging but there are more members posting videos and almost none of them use showcase. This tells me that my only job is to make sure it's easy for them to post whatever they want (blogs, videos, featured articles, albums) in one section called Media and I can have that be the main page of the site while using BD Widget to handle the rest.

There are no blog suggestions in Chris' XMG resource or on his site: http://xenmediagallery.com/forums/suggestions.8/ The link is to a discussion thread about how I'm personally customizing XMG. Why I'd rather use XMG instead of Omniua's blog: I am customizing XMG according to the way my members use the site's current blog (Better Blogs), Showcase and XenMedio. What I have learned is that there's only a few people blogging but there are more members posting videos and almost none of them use showcase. This tells me that my only job is to make sure it's easy for them to post whatever they want (blogs, videos, featured articles, albums) in one section called Media and I can have that be the main page of the site while using BD Widget to handle the rest.

I agree, seldom do I see people blogging or at least when I had the blog installed it was seldom ever used (generally I personally find blogging boring) so perhaps there is method to your madness. It'll be interesting to see how this pans out, as i said, i'm genuinely curious since I'd like to someday get a blog back on my site but with a twist that entices people to use it which seems to be the norm nowadays from what I see, barren blogs a plenty.

If it works for you & your members, great. I'd like to see what you implement or rather what your coder does if you make your site public since like I said "Genuinely curious".

Doesn't Omniua's blog allow posting vids? I remember being able to post vids when it was free product.

Edit: #genuinelycurious #fact

Reactions: DRE
I agree, seldom do I see people blogging or at least when I had the blog installed it was seldom ever used (generally I personally find blogging boring) so perhaps there is method to your madness. It'll be interesting to see how this pans out, as i said, i'm genuinely curious since I'd like to someday get a blog back on my site but with a twist that entices people to use it which seems to be the norm nowadays from what I see, barren blogs a plenty.

If it works for you & your members, great. I'd like to see what you implement or rather what your coder does if you make your site public since like I said "Genuinely curious".

Doesn't Omniua's blog allow posting vids? I remember being able to post vids when it was free product.

Edit: #genuinelycurious #fact
It's a pain-in-the-butt asking people to blog but I don't have to ask them to post videos.

You can post videos in Omniua's blog addons. Problem is that those videos are not shown or playable from the index and even if they weren't, you cannot set a featured image that will entice users to click on in order to watch. So what that tells me is that people be like 'oooh look at the pretty pictures' and they'll click on it more frequently than they would a block that has nothing but words.

The strongest feature of XMG is it's ability to show both pictures and video thumbnails anywhere you want on your Xenforo forum and add them from one submit media page. Now if someone writes a blog or wants to showcase an article, their blog will also be featured as a thumbnail along with those videos and albums. I am working with the coder to make sure that images aren't required to 'upload' an entry. The thumbnail will simply be something that says 'blog' or something else. We'll figure that out later.

Moral of my story is, customize addons around your users instead of the other way around or else it won't be used to to it's full potential.

I can't ugprade yet cause there's too many people online that might not sign in again once it goes down. :(

Anyone ever see this quote by Kier?

PHP:
<?php sleep(29); echo 'Hello world';
Just a single line of code, and virtual no functionality, but most certainly much slower than IPB, and quite possibly slower than vB4 too! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom