Cannot reproduce Quoting tagged user creates additional alerts

Chris H.

We've identified an issue where if a user is @tagged in a post, then that post is quoted by a different user, then the tagged user will get an alert for the quoted post. FWIW, the plugin we were using before did not fire the secondary alerts.

To recreate you'll need three users:
  1. User A creates a post tagging User B.
  2. User B gets alert saying User A tagged them in a post.
  3. User C quotes User A's post
  4. User B gets another alert saying User C tagged them in a post.
This is undesired as User C really didn't tag User B, they were just responding to User A. It creates unnecessary alerts for User B.

The tag (@King Kovifor) should be converted to @[user=81]King Kovifor[/user] which shouldn't generate an alert. The only way this should happen is if User C modifies the quote to remove the user bbcode tag. If you edit the post(s) can you see the user tag?

Which means, this is not as designed, but I can't replicate it here.

The tag (@King Kovifor) should be converted to @[user=81]King Kovifor[/user] which shouldn't generate an alert. The only way this should happen is if User C modifies the quote to remove the user bbcode tag. If you edit the post(s) can you see the user tag?

The quoted post by User C was unmodified and contains the @[user=1234]Username[/user] syntax.

Is it only happening when User C quotes the post or are you yourself able to replicate it? The user may still be removing the user BBCode tag and posting (which would trigger an alert), but you won't see that since it is readded automatically.

Is it only happening when User C quotes the post or are you yourself able to replicate it? The user may still be removing the user BBCode tag and posting (which would trigger an alert), but you won't see that since it is readded automatically.
Any secondary user. User C was just an example on how to reproduce. As long as it's anyone besides User A or User B, then it'll fire additional alerts. Give it a shot on your own board. We're seeing it with consistency.

I can't reproduce this and I don't see how the code would even allow it to work - the username wouldn't match wit the extra BB code in there.

I can't reproduce this and I don't see how the code would even allow it to work - the username wouldn't match wit the extra BB code in there.
Are there hooks in that part of the code that may be firing? We had [bd] Tag Me installed prior to our 1.2 upgrade, but uninstalled it prior to loading the 1.2 code. I suppose it's possible it did not uninstall cleanly? Not sure what else would cause this, but not only do I get the alerts but I can see it happening on the xf_user_alert table.

Are you sure they're tag alerts and not one of the several other alerts that can be created? (Quotes or, more likely, standard watch thread/forum alerts)

Are you sure they're tag alerts and not one of the several other alerts that can be created? (Quotes or, more likely, standard watch thread/forum alerts)

Unless the xf_user_alert.action of tag is used for something else, it's a tag alert. This just happened:
  1. User A (OSUMIKE17) tagged User B (kaje)
  2. I quoted User A's post to reply. The reply box was populated with: [quote="OSUMIKE17, post: 2401215, member: 5533"]Did it work, @[USER=1340]kaje[/USER]?[/quote] and I added a test message below the quote tags that did not contain any additional tags.
  3. I ran the following SQL: "select * from xf_user_alert where alerted_user_id = 1340" and see this:
    Code:
    1501928    1340    248    Chris H.    post    2401220    tag    1376923780    0

That does look like a tag alert. You shouldn't get an alert for this:

@Chris H.

As I've just typed it in directly.

Add-ons could interfere or change this behavior, so I would definitely look at disabling them to see if it still happens.

@Chris H.

Add-ons could interfere or change this behavior, so I would definitely look at disabling them to see if it still happens.
I did not get an alert for that, you're right.

Agree that add-ons could interfere, but like I said Tag Me was removed before our upgrade, and I don't see any reminents on the xf_code_event_listner table (the callback class code has been deleted anyways...). What listeners do I need to look at for possible interference in this stage.?

If you disable all add-ons and then re-enable them one by one while testing you should be able to determine which one is causing it.

@Chris H.

You received no alert, correct?

Well, there aren't going to be anything in the listeners that make it completely obvious the code that is being changed. Anything could be extending or manipulating some of the alert code that runs here.

We've done a lot more testing this morning to figure out what's going on. It's not as consistent as we first though for new posts, but quoting some of the previous posts with tagged users is consistent 100% of the time. My gut says it has something to do with whether the initial post or quote came from Tapatalk, but I've not been able to prove that yet. We'll keep digging. Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Top Bottom