QuoteME !

QuoteME ! 2.1.1

No permission to download

cclaerhout

cclaerhout submitted a new resource:

QuoteME ! (version 1.0) - This addon allows you to select some text in a message and quote it into the editor

QuoteME !
by Cédric CLAERHOUT
Addon Presentation
This addon allows you to select some text in a message and quote it into the editor with a little popup. I had this addon on vBulletin and my members and I loved it. So now here it is on XenForo :)

View attachment 34995

Tested...

Read more about this resource...

Nice one.

I actually started creating this very same add-on a few months ago but got side tracked with something else.

Great work :)

Nice one.

I actually started creating this very same add-on a few months ago but got side tracked with something else.

Great work :)
If you see anything that can be improved (and if you have an answer about that e.pageY difference per theme ^^), don't hesitate to share :)

Wonderful share! Thanks so much.
One suggestion if I may: Say I quote the first post in a thread with some 19 posts... Once the "Click ME !" button is engaged - Automatically relocate to the editor area for easy addition of ones own post text. This way you can quote text and not have to scroll through 18 additional posts in order to add your own post text.

Hope this makes sense. Anyway = Thanks so much for the share.
Wonderful addition!

J.

Neat idea. Suggestion! There should be a fixed button that clarifies the functionality and existence of this feature, such as "Quote Selected Text" or some such. As it is, if the member doesn't know it's there -- and just putting up announcements about a new feature isn't enough -- it'll go unused.

Wonderful share! Thanks so much.
One suggestion if I may: Say I quote the first post in a thread with some 19 posts... Once the "Click ME !" button is engaged - Automatically relocate to the editor area for easy addition of ones own post text. This way you can quote text and not have to scroll through 18 additional posts in order to add your own post text.

Hope this makes sense. Anyway = Thanks so much for the share.
Wonderful addition!

J.

If you mean doing a focus on the editor, I will not do this. Why ? Because the purpose of this addon is 99,9% of the time to quote several parts of a text. If I do a focus on the Editor (which I think will not be easy with TinyMce anyway), EACH time I quote some text, if the page has 19 posts, it will go down to the editor. So if I want to make several quotes, it's going to be a nightmare. If you really want to quote once... Well, there is the default quote function which will do the job.

Neat idea. Suggestion! There should be a fixed button that clarifies the functionality and existence of this feature, such as "Quote Selected Text" or some such. As it is, if the member doesn't know it's there -- and just putting up announcements about a new feature isn't enough -- it'll go unused.
It's just one phrase to Edit... "quoteme". You can change it in about 10 seconds.

You don't understand. Instead of having a popup appear after you select a portion of the text to quote, there should be a full-time button that explains the functionality next to the existing Reply button, for example. I said Quote Selected Text, because it tells the member they can select the text to quote. See what I mean?

You don't understand. Instead of having a popup appear after you select a portion of the text to quote, there should be a full-time button that explains the functionality next to the existing Reply button, for example. I said Quote Selected Text, because it tells the member they can select the text to quote. See what I mean?
You really would like to display a button on each post ? Sorry, but it's going to make forum design too 'heavy' (I'm not sure about the English word here) and I know I will be useless on my forums: most users don't often quote (using the default quote system) and the ones who are using this 'fast quote' system are the one who are often debating and want to answer point by point. So they are frequent users who have no problem to use new forum functionalities.

Now what you're asking can be done, but again, I'm not going to use it. But you can take my code (Create Commons License) and make a fork with it.

There is actually a vBulletin plugin that performs this function, and it didn't make the board too busy, so far as I'm concerned. But do what you want to do.

I'm not taking it in any way. I have a preference; the author has a preference. So there it goes. I am not about to force somebody to do what they don't want to do. I'll still try it and see if our members like it; discover it.

If you mean doing a focus on the editor, I will not do this. Why ? Because the purpose of this addon is 99,9% of the time to quote several parts of a text. If I do a focus on the Editor (which I think will not be easy with TinyMce anyway), EACH time I quote some text, if the page has 19 posts, it will go down to the editor. So if I want to make several quotes, it's going to be a nightmare. If you really want to quote once... Well, there is the default quote function which will do the job.

Valid enough point. I disagree that it would be a nightmare to quote several posts... Anyway - thanks for the add-on just the same. I and my users will enjoy the extra functionality!

J.

Valid enough point. I disagree that it would be a nightmare to quote several posts... Anyway - thanks for the add-on just the same. I and my users will enjoy the extra functionality!

J.
You can try it with the basic editor (not TinyMCE) : copy the content of the Javascript file (quoteme_src.js) inside the minified Javascript (quoteme.js), then search:
Code:
$editor.val( $editor.val() + '\r\n' + SelectedText);
Replace with (twice):
Code:
$editor.val( $editor.val() + '\r\n' + SelectedText).focus();

Find a long long thread with many messages, and try to quote several parts of the top message.
Happy Nightmare :p

LOL @ Happy nightmare. I rarely remember me dreams. So I'm okay :P
Thanks so much for sharing that code - Will try a little later! Cheers!

J.

quoteme-png.34995

+ Great addon.
+ Core !

Noticed a very minor bug with this. It works great in Chrome, but in Firefox it always adds a space to the end of the quote.

Hello there.
Selecting the above in chrome would render:
Code:
[quote="User, post: #"]Hello there.[/quote]
but in firefox:
Code:
[quote="User, post: #"]Hello there. [/quote]

It seems to only happen if you quote the end of the string though, so if I were to select "the" in there only, it would spit it out without a space added to the end:
Code:
[quote="User, post: #"]the[/quote]

Weird... The simple fact to display the selected text with console.log fixes the problem... Anyway, to really solve this I will add this regex (it will delete any spaces at the end of the selected code:
Code:
SelectedText = SelectedText.replace(/\s$/, '');

Top Bottom