Implemented Quote selected text

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
i used 2 scripts: one that supports this feature (wbb) and the other doesn't (ipb)
i noticed that before the conversion my members used to quote the selected text properly, after the conversion they started quoted whole posts without removing the un-necessaey texts
from an admin pont of view this is rather an important feature, from a user point its a nice addition :)

The way I would do this is to integrate it with the reply function. If you have highlighted text before you click reply then the text you highlighted is quoted, if not the whole post is quoted.
That is actually a great idea this way someone could highlight click reply and it moves the text to the reply field at the bottom of any given forum page and one could simply highlight any part of any post in the thread and also do it with multiple quotes in one reply very easy using the reply button for each post that the user wants to reply to in one single post. Nice suggestion majdi and great follow up james. I now support this 100%

The way I would do this is to integrate it with the reply function. If you have highlighted text before you click reply then the text you highlighted is quoted, if not the whole post is quoted.
Great idea, some browser problems could arise but great idea nontheless. Probably the best idea i've heard from you all day :)

Id love to see this introduced as a standard feature.. In keeping with the clean look and feel of XenForo it would be nice to see this integrated into the "Reply with Quote" Function. I would love to see it work like this, ie: if you highlight a portion of a previous post and hit the reply with quote button, all it will quote is the selected text. This would add function and a the same time it wouldn't add any overhead to the UI..
I also suggested this same functionality on another post. Id love to see this option standard.. +1

Once you get used to it, I think selecting the part you want to quote and then clicking 'Reply' is a very nice way of doing it. Of course new users/noobs will have a harder time discovering this system.

BTW, it would be good in case of quoting a part of someone's post, a [...] gets added before and/or after the selective quote text, indicating it's only a part of the other users' post, and might have been taken out of its context...

I had to read it twice lol did you mean the whole [...] or just the ellipsis part ... if the second i agree but only it isn't a hassle to add as you can edit someones quote anyways so that wouldn't really matter

This would be really, really convenient - I'd love it. TWoP has sort of a version of this - but not with Multi-Quote - where you highlight text and then click "insert highlighted text into Quick Reply" ... although half the time it doesn't work and you have to recopy/try again. (That's the one thing on that board that's actually convenient, so it kind of stands out.)

I had to read it twice lol did you mean the whole [...] or just the ellipsis part ... if the second i agree but only it isn't a hassle to add as you can edit someones quote anyways so that wouldn't really matter
You have to use the whole thing, ellipsis and square brackets:

Square brackets [ ]
Square brackets—also called simply brackets (US)—are mainly used to enclose explanatory or missing material usually added by someone other than the original author, especially in quoted text.[5] Examples include: "I appreciate it [the honor], but I must refuse", and "the future of psionics [see definition] is in doubt". They may also be used to modify quotations. For example, if referring to someone's statement "I hate to do laundry", one could write: She "hate[s] to do laundry".
The bracketed expression "[sic]" is used to indicate errors that are "thus in the original"; a bracketed ellipsis [...] is often used to indicate deleted material; bracketed comments indicate when original text has been modified for clarity: "I'd like to thank [several unimportant people] and my parentals [sic] for their love, tolerance [...] and assistance [emphasis added]".[6]

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bracket#Square_brackets_.5B_.5D

Here's something I'm used to doing on my other forum platform.

Upon highlighting a section of someone's post text and clicking Reply, just that highlighted text becomes quoted, not the entire message.
Thus taking considerable labour out of quoting when sections of the post need snipping out.

Example:

snippetquote1.webp

snippetquote2.webp

It's something I've been playing with, but there is no generally agreed format for addressing the selection within a document, so this kind of feature tends to be extremely fragile.

Thanks guys. Ah gotcha, apologies for the dupe.
I've been using that type of quick quoting for years now, just a thought. It if helps at all, Community Server 2007 employs the feature.

extremely fragile.
I thought as much, probably more of a 'bigger feature' in all sense of the word. :)

Community Server 2007 employs the feature.
Community Server is bloated.
I'm trying to migrate away from it.
did you get your CS converted to XF ?

Upon highlighting a section of someone's post text and clicking Reply, just that highlighted text becomes quoted, not the entire message.
Solid idea.
Thus taking considerable labour out of quoting when sections of the post need snipping out.
I think the main argument for not offering selective quoting of posts is .... considerable is an overstatement.
It's quite easy to delete the unwanted text.

I think the solution will be difficult as every browser probably "highlights" text differently.
I wonder if the workflow might be quoting everything, highlight just the key text you want to quote, and clicking a button in the post editor which would get rid of everything but you highlighted text.

did you get your CS converted to XF ?
Nope, I'm not in charge of that board anymore. New webmaster took it over. It's holding together all things considered.
***Migration, would go CS via vB3x using its CS importer - then from vB3x to XF (***don't quote me, that's just the last I heard going back a while now).

Newbies to posting, at large, get it so wrong. Even seasoned posters (and Mods) trip up.
Might be, as you say a bit a sledgehammer to crack a nut (overkill). We all see from time to time, bits of quoted text everywhere, missing tags, top posting, bottom posting...however.

Top Bottom