Implemented PUSH notifications for XenForo

Alpha1

The responsive design already makes XenForo great on mobile devices. We almost do not need an app. But one thing is missing: Instant PUSH notifications.

If XenForo would have PUSH notifications then users could be notified of new alerts , events on their mobile device, in their browser, etc. This keeps users up to date and pulls off site users back onto the website.

Possibly with the addition of mini-apps.

Last edited:
Upvote 177
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
The fact that service workers have entered a development phase in WebKit is a huge step forward. Though I doubt we’ll see it in iOS 11.

It will either be in a second point iOS 11 release or iOS 12 next year. The latter seems most likely IMO.

All these sites that have started sending me browser notifications in firefox (it seems like almost every site is nowadays). How are they doing it?

All these sites that have started sending me browser notifications in firefox (it seems like almost every site is nowadays). How are they doing it?
Depends on the site really. There's a OneSignal add-on available here that adds some level of push notifications.

Facebook keeps nagging until you activate it. News sites have it. IPS has it on their support site. The technology has arrived.

They are doing it using the Web Push API and service workers. There are third party services, such as OneSignal (who can do it for free by selling your user's personal information!), or you can roll your own solution.

The technology has arrived.
I'd still say it's "arriving".

The biggest omission is that Apple does not support service workers yet in WebKit. They've started development of it, but I suspect we won't see it in Safari on macOS or iOS for ~12 months.

Do you want us to do it via a 3rd party service that's free, but they sell your personal information? Or a 3rd party service that doesn't have a sound business plan and might end up disappearing? I assume no.

Do you want us to do it via a 3rd party service that's chargeable? Possibly, but most will say no.

Do you want us to implement it properly and in a way that just works, without needing to use any 3rd party dependencies, preferably with little to no cost? Sounds more like it. But that will take time. Hopefully by then the other half of the internet (Apple users) will be able to use it too.

Do you want us to do it via a 3rd party service that's free, but they sell your personal information? Or a 3rd party service that doesn't have a sound business plan and might end up disappearing? I assume no.

Do you want us to do it via a 3rd party service that's chargeable? Possibly, but most will say no.

Do you want us to implement it properly and in a way that just works, without needing to use any 3rd party dependencies, preferably with little to no cost? Sounds more like it. But that will take time. Hopefully by then the other half of the internet (Apple users) will be able to use it too.

Until your comment about OneSignal selling users data there hadn't been any downsides mentioned :p

It's also worth noting that these may not be push notifications. There is a separate notifications API that seems similar and predates Web Push (and indeed can be used in service workers), but that's not push. It would require polling and for you to be active on a site at the time.

Top Bottom