Votes: 21 25.0%
  • 60+

Votes: 9 10.7%
  • 70+

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • 80+

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters
Just asking to see if also the young population is running a community .
You're asking to see if the young population has $160 of disposable income to be able to run an XF community - not the same thing.

I might actually try running the same poll over on one of the free forum platforms and see if I get a different skew.

Yeah, me too - I think the pay to play aspect inherently pushes the minimum age up and I suspect the ages skew a little lower for free software, but I also think forums in general are aging out a bit.

So the SMF version of this poll has a similar curve except for the 60s group that has a definite bump in that trend - we have a lot of retired folks that have gone to set up forums in their retirement as a thing to do, before they hit a “I feel too old to learn something new” though we have a few regulars kicking around in their 70s and a few folks that we know and support as users rather than as admins, into their 80s.

Major props to folks that age who are still up to learning new tech in any way.
Errrr... some of us "old ****es" were actually involved in computing in it's early ages... so no "learning new tech" required, it was simply a progression. ;)
Some of us cut our chops on programming in Basic and using a cassette deck to cload/csave data (and not to mention that at the time, those computers and associated hardware were VERY expensive). My first exposure was with a Tandy TRS (Trash) 80 CoCo 2 using a cassette deck... then I made the major upgrade to an actual "floppy" drive. The next step was to an actual IBM XT running at a fantastic 4.77 MHz, which I ran a dual line BBS one for quite a while (using DOS & DESQview).

Last edited:
Interesting to see that most people who voted in this poll are in my age group. :) Though most of us probably have been using forums for at least 20 years or more now. I remember being 5 years old and messing around with Windows 95 at my cousins' house. I didn't join a forum until 2006 when I had my own computer when I was 16.

Top Bottom