XF 1.0 Playing With Color

In a previous video, we looked at various style property options and also touched briefly on the XenForo color palette.

The color palette is an integral part of the style property system, and so it is open and extensible, allowing interaction and extension through the add-on system.

This video shows an add-on defining a new color and adding it to the global palette, and then shows a few of the tools XenForo provides for quickly and easily manipulating the palette, so that administrators can create the basis for new styles in seconds.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

View the video at full-size by clicking the full-screen gadget in the bottom right of the control bar.

That's just awesome. I've seen first attempts at something like the last bit Kier spoke about (creating a new style in seconds) in early IP.Boards. But that was totally different. You did that on some site and then you had to download the resulting style and import it into your forum.
This here is just the perfection of all that. I'm really loving it.
And that's something that will make it really easy for non-designers and not-so-savvy forum admins to create new styles. Really, really good.
Mike and Kier, you're awesome. :)

That's just awesome. I've seen first attempts at something like the last bit Kier spoke about (creating a new style in seconds) in early IP.Boards. But that was totally different. You did that on some site and then you had to download the resulting style and import it into your forum.
This here is just the perfection of all that. I'm really loving it.
And that's something that will make it really easy for non-designers and not-so-savvy forum admins to create new styles. Really, really good.
Mike and Kier, you're awesome. :)

Admins will be able to personalize their own forum in virtually no time at all. :) I can't wait to see what the Professional Stylists are going to come up with, :)

I love it. I have one query however:

When using the sliders to manipulate the colours, is it possible to save the slider position so that we are aware of where we moved it to? This allows for easier editing of the colours.

I love it. I have one query however:

When using the sliders to manipulate the colours, is it possible to save the slider position so that we are aware of where we moved it to? This allows for easier editing of the colours.
No, it's not. I'm a little confused as to how it makes for easier editing of the colours either?

Superb system.

Why hasn't something as useful as this ever been done before?

Skinners are going to be out of a job :D

No, it's not. I'm a little confused as to how it makes for easier editing of the colours either?
When you slide the slider and the brighter settings are applied, does the slider then get brighter/darker according to the current setting or the original setting (before the original move)?

If it's from the current setting, I understand why it's centred!

Skinners are going to be out of a job :D

LOL :p Plenty of people said that when IPS introduced the color skin generator.... and yet I have never been busier ;) What a pro skinner does is a lot more than a colour change.

What this does though is allow non-skinners to make themselves a great skin, and for us professionals it makes it a bit quicker to do the basis of the themes we do :D

When you slide the slider and the brighter settings are applied, does the slider then get brighter/darker according to the current setting or the original setting (before the original move)?

If it's from the current setting, I understand why it's centred!
The slider just represents a hue shift from the current value.

Top Bottom