1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.0 Playing With Color

Discussion in 'Have You Seen...?' started by Kier, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Kier

Kier XenForo Developer Staff Member

In a previous video, we looked at various style property options and also touched briefly on the XenForo color palette.

The color palette is an integral part of the style property system, and so it is open and extensible, allowing interaction and extension through the add-on system.

This video shows an add-on defining a new color and adding it to the global palette, and then shows a few of the tools XenForo provides for quickly and easily manipulating the palette, so that administrators can create the basis for new styles in seconds.

View the video at full-size by clicking the full-screen gadget in the bottom right of the control bar.
    wedgar, Eaglebunker, Vitaly and 55 others like this.
  2. Andy.N

Andy.N Well-Known Member

Very nice.
    can't wait to play with this new toy.
  3. whitetigergrowl

whitetigergrowl Active Member

4. DaKat

DaKat Well-Known Member

Me likey!
  5. Been Told

Been Told Well-Known Member

That's just awesome. I've seen first attempts at something like the last bit Kier spoke about (creating a new style in seconds) in early IP.Boards. But that was totally different. You did that on some site and then you had to download the resulting style and import it into your forum.
    This here is just the perfection of all that. I'm really loving it.
    And that's something that will make it really easy for non-designers and not-so-savvy forum admins to create new styles. Really, really good.
    Mike and Kier, you're awesome. :)
    Evalyn, Peggy and Lawrence like this.
  6. AmericanForum.com

AmericanForum.com Well-Known Member

This blows the competition out of the water ... where's the " I really like " button ? :D
    Vitaly, Garamond, Evalyn and 2 others like this.
  7. Lawrence

Lawrence Well-Known Member

Admins will be able to personalize their own forum in virtually no time at all. :) I can't wait to see what the Professional Stylists are going to come up with, :)
    AmericanForum.com likes this.
  8. Peggy

Peggy Just bein' me...

You ain't just whistlin' dixie!
  9. Erik

Erik Well-Known Member

Excellent, this is exactly what I was hoping for. :)
  10. James

James Well-Known Member

I love it. I have one query however:

When using the sliders to manipulate the colours, is it possible to save the slider position so that we are aware of where we moved it to? This allows for easier editing of the colours.
  11. Kim

Kim Xenilicious

How cool :D
  12. Kier

No, it's not. I'm a little confused as to how it makes for easier editing of the colours either?
    djawir likes this.
  13. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Superb system.

Why hasn't something as useful as this ever been done before?

Skinners are going to be out of a job :D
    James likes this.
  14. James

James Well-Known Member

When you slide the slider and the brighter settings are applied, does the slider then get brighter/darker according to the current setting or the original setting (before the original move)?

If it's from the current setting, I understand why it's centred!
  15. Kim

Kim Xenilicious

LOL :p Plenty of people said that when IPS introduced the color skin generator.... and yet I have never been busier ;) What a pro skinner does is a lot more than a colour change.

What this does though is allow non-skinners to make themselves a great skin, and for us professionals it makes it a bit quicker to do the basis of the themes we do :D
    Doctor, Onimua and AmericanForum.com like this.
  16. Peggy

Peggy Just bein' me...

Not. :)
  17. Kier

The slider just represents a hue shift from the current value.
    James and AmericanForum.com like this.
  18. Erik

Erik Well-Known Member

Which is exactly what it should be. :)
  19. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce Probably knows the answer Staff Member

I don't have a smilie to adequately express how much I like this feature.
  20. Peggy

Peggy Just bein' me...

Very exciting stuff here!