Passkey removal does not invalidate existing sessions

Kirby

Affected version
2.3.0 Beta 4
Steps to reproduce
  1. Create a new account
  2. Add a Passkey in browser context A
  3. Log into the account with the passkey in another browser context (B)
  4. Log into the account with username and password in a third browser context (C) using a backup code as TFA
  5. Remove the Passkey from browser context A
  6. Check session status in browser context B and C
  7. Add another passkey in browser context A
  8. Log into the account with the Passkey in browser context B
  9. Change the password in browser contect A
  10. Check session status in browser context B and C
Expected Result
  1. The session in browser context B is invalidated in step 6) while the session in browser context C) is unaffected (Preferred)
    or
    The sessions in browser context B and C are invalidated in step 6)
  2. Sessions in browser context B and C are invalidated in step 10
Actual Result
  1. Sessions in browser context B and C are unaffected in step 6)
  2. Sessions in browser context B and C are invalidated in step 10)
Not invalidating sessions that were created using a removed Passkey seems to be a security issue to me:
A passkey acts like a password replacement - if an authenticator is lost / compromised and thus removed from an account, I would expect all sessions that used it to get invalidated immediately to prevent account abuse - just like they are when the password is changed.

Last edited:
Part of the issue is XenForo session management is functionally all or nothing around the password date field.

Only logging out affected sessions with a removed passkey isn't doable without tracking individual sessions or just logging out all sessions.

Yeah I know - but at least invalidating all other sessions for a user when a Passkey ist removed should be easy (by updating UserProfile.password_date).

Ideally I'd store the used TFA option in UserTfaTrusted and tfa_trusted_id in the session.

This would allow to delete affected UserTfaTrusted entities when a Passkey is removed and subsequently delete Sessions that have the deleted tfa_trusted_id

Last edited:
Top Bottom