Option to disable location field

Jake B.

This field seems fairly unnecessary, and seems like it could potentially be a GDPR concern if someone unknowingly enters their address thinking it was a private field only to have it plastered on all of their posts. I'd imagine this field has little benefit for most communities and would probably be better suited as a custom user field that can be removed by the admin. As far as I can tell there isn't even a great way to remove it in an add-on in the \XF\Template\Templater::fnUserBlurb templater function short of overwriting the entire function

Upvote 9
Moving it to a custom field would also have the added benefit of making it searchable. I just ran into a situation today where I needed to search the location field to try and find a particular user, but realized it's not searchable in the admin control panel user search.

Moving it to a custom field would also have the added benefit of making it searchable. I just ran into a situation today where I needed to search the location field to try and find a particular user, but realized it's not searchable in the admin control panel user search.

WRT my Admin Tools add-on I made the About Me and the Website fields searchable. I thought about making the Location searchable but couldn't justify doing so as members like to be witty with that field (ie: Right behind you, or Dark side of the Moon). I could add that field in the next release as you did provide a use case for it.

Top Bottom