Optimization, security, customization or: How I jumped on my own sword :)

BikeGremlin

After years of weighing pros and cons, I've decided to do it, and published my forum on bikegremlin.net domain.

A fresh install, and a brand new forum.

I suck at visual design. Thankfully, XenForo's default settings align with "my brand" pretty well, so I just made sure not to ruin it. :LOL:

What I did concentrate on was security, spam prevention, and "technical customizations."
Here is where I took notes of most stuff I fiddled with (will try to keep that up-to-date with any new changes):
https://io.bikegremlin.com/32015/xenforo-forum-installation-securing-and-configuring/

Notably:
  • Setting up Cloudflare Turnstile anti spam.
  • Gmail and GitHub account registration (Microsoft sucks, and Linkedin integration seems to be broken).
  • Configuring the footer copyright to automatically show the current year.
  • Adding Google Programmable Search to the forum's advanced search.
  • Adding a mod/admin only visible menu item, that lists the users with unconfirmed emails, sorted by the registration date.
I did my best to keep it "vanilla" so to speak: no addons, and no heavy customizations (at least as far as I know).

Left to do:
  • Some kind of caching (LiteSpeed or Redis - we'll see).
  • Configure Amazon SES or similar mass-mailing service.
I suppose both of these things can be done if and when needed (i.e. if more than a dozen people join the forum).

Any suggestions, especially corrections, are more than welcome.

Boring details:
I started in the BBS days, over Usenet, and forums, as user, moderator, and administrator.
After having seen a lot, and tried different software, my conclusion is that XenForo is the best the least bad (I'm a pessimist 🙃 ) forum software.

The basic idea of the forum is to consolidate questions, comments & replies on various different platforms (in more detail about why I made the forum).
We'll see if I end up regretting that decision (so far so good). So far, it's been a lot of work to set it all up, but hopefully it will be more help than hassle in the long run (though I'm not sure - as the title of this post shows :) ).

Relja

Hello Relja!

Nice to see you on XenForo and wish you the best with your forum project!

For the basic setup to run your ideas it is more than enough. I like your WordPress site too (especially the content - keep up!). Subscribed to your RSS ;)

Top Bottom