Duplicate Operating hours for a forum

ellasykes

It would be cool if there was an admin option to specify operating hours for the forum.

Why? Simply to turn off registration during certain hours (option 1) or to switch the forum to read only mode (option 2). Reasons:
One of my forums is for children and the moderators have to closely monitor the forum not only for spammers but also for adults in disguise, often registering at hours when children are at sleep.
At my largest forum we had one month where trolls where hitting us hard, they where extremely persistent, they knew our mods where pretty good at banning them during normal hours (7 am to 11 pm) but we all need some sleep from time to time
Corporate forums which simply don't like to clean up a forum from nightly spam
Don't forget, if you like this idea click on the "Like" button!

Upvote 1
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
This is probably a very niche thing (though let's see how many likes it gets).

For your circumstances, wouldn't it just be easier for either all registrations to require manual approval and/or for all posts to be moderated for the first X posts (enough for you to determine whether they are a spammer/adult or not)?

I'd like to know how you can detect if a new member is genuine or not in the first place.
The reason I asked was we previously ran a youth forum that ran alongside our previous forum and despite putting just about everything in place to try to prevent adults joining pretending to be kids, we could not guarantee the weren't doing so.

The forum software was very heavily modified, filters were in place, even the registration process was quite specific, but eventually for peace of mind and safety we made the decision to close the doors on it.

Top Bottom