Xen Notices [Deleted]

Question:
how can i welcome a new member (registration today) ?
is it possible?
It isn't unfortunately (same as notices and User Group Promotions). But you could choose under User Criteria:

User has posted no more than X messages, and set that to something low like 1.

That will get most of your new members.

Quick question.... I have a notification set to display to guests and is set to be dismissed. The dismiss link does not appear. Can guests dismiss a notice? (The assumption being that it's cookie based even for guests.)

Quick question.... I have a notification set to display to guests and is set to be dismissed. The dismiss link does not appear. Can guests dismiss a notice? (The assumption being that it's cookie based even for guests.)
He mentioned somewhere about guest not eligible to dismiss notice.. following Xenforo's notice standard.

Chris,

I can see that when dismissing the notice i am being redirected to the forum index.. even though i was inside a thread. Can this be fixed. I mean i use XenPorta and whenever i see the notices pop-up in Xenporta homepage i'd like to dismiss the notices but still stay in XenPorta homepage

There's no cookies involved. The notification dismissal isn't based on cookies because if it was then it'd never be permanent.

If a user clicks Dismiss Notification, it writes their user ID and the notification ID to the database. This is what stops it from showing. Guests don't have a user ID so this cannot be used, therefore it is hidden from guests.

In the next version, the close button will start being more functional. Upon closing the notification a cookie will be written (for a period set on a per notification basis). While that cookie is valid, the notification will stay hidden. And that will work for guests and members alike. So if there is a non-dismissible notification, they can at least get rid of it for a few days.

The "cookie closer" will be an optional feature. It requires an extra jQuery plugin to be called. Not everyone will want it so it will be possible to disable it :)

He mentioned somewhere about guest not eligible to dismiss notice.. following Xenforo's notice standard.

Chris,

I can see that when dismissing the notice i am being redirected to the forum index.. even though i was inside a thread. Can this be fixed. I mean i use XenPorta and whenever i see the notices pop-up in Xenporta homepage i'd like to dismiss the notices but still stay in XenPorta homepage
Yeah, interestingly I can't get this to work like it does for Notices exactly.

You will see that if you dismiss a notice then you don't get a confirmation and it just does it without refreshing the page at all. I think I've identified the javascript that does it but my javascript skills are pretty poor so I might need to seek advice on that.

But thanks for pointing that out.

Thanks for clarifying the dismissing for guests and what is planned for the next version. I searched but missed the prior mention of it. As other are likely running into, the scenario I have is a guest getting the pop-up on every page being able to dismiss it and close only closing it for the current page.

Just started playing with this, if I set a notice to dismissable the phrase text is being displayed twice. Anyone else come across this ?

Just started playing with this, if I set a notice to dismissable the phrase text is being displayed twice. Anyone else come across this ?
That's not right... can you give me a link to where you're trying this, and can you check the version number of it in Admin CP?

That's not right... can you give me a link to where you're trying this, and can you check the version number of it in Admin CP?
Version number is 1.1a. Hmm, just did some more testing, under the default style it works fine, using a style derived from XenFracture (xenstyles.com) it displays the phrase twice.

I will do some more digging tomorrow, now I have to prepare to upgrade a seriously big database server. If there is any debugging you want me to do just shout. Like I said I will do some more digging later.

Probably check if there's any errors in the JavaScript console (F12 > Console in Chrome) that aren't there on the default style.

Is there only one notification on the screen at the time of the error?

Probably check if there's any errors in the JavaScript console (F12 > Console in Chrome) that aren't there on the default style.

Is there only one notification on the screen at the time of the error?
Two notifications, just disabled one of them and still the same.

Is there anything logged in Console?

Also if you had an old version previously, clear your cache.

Turns out Deebs' issue wasn't a bug - more an issue with his style which caused my notifications to render twice. So, all sorted now.

No need to fix that in 1.2... speaking of which... oh! Changelog! :D

1.2 Fixes:
  • None! :D

1.2 New Features:
  • For each notification you can configure a delay time. The notification will not be shown until this time passes. This is configurable up to 1 hour.
  • You now have several image options. You can either display no image, display the visitor's avatar, or provide a URL/path to any image. The images are automatically shrunk to the same sizes.
  • New global option to enable / disable temporary dismissal of notifications. Enabled by default. The temporary dismissal of notifications is done via the close button and works for guests too.
  • For each notification you can specify a "time to hide" value. This is the time, in days, that the notification will stay closed for. If you specify 0 (default) the notification will be closed throughout the current browsing session, and will reappear the next time the browser is restarted.
Please remember to rate the add-on :)

Thank you for your continued support.

Yorick updated Notifications - powered by Gritter with a new update entry:

Many new features! Images, delayed notifications, temporary dismissal of notifications!

This version brings temporarily dismissible notifications (via the close button) amongst many more features (details below). Check out the temporary dismiss feature at http://www.deemit.co.uk.

1.2 Fixes:
  • None! :D
1.2 New Features:
  • For each notification you can configure a delay time. The notification will not be shown until this time passes. This is configurable up to 1 hour.
  • You now have several image options. You can either display no...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Very nice. I added an image and it worked wonderfully. However, the previous version would load each time I went to a new page. This one only flashed up once and then didn't return when I went to a new page though I never dismissed.

I'll send you a link to the error log.

Update: I uninstalled, re-upped the folders and re-installed. Not working at the moment.

Top Bottom