XF 1.3 Not getting verification email

hterrag

I've just migrated to XF from VB and now I tried to create an account and I'm not getting any verification email. What seems to be the problem?

What is the problem? I can't get default to work and neither the SMTP. I don't want to have to use Gmail. Is there something wrong with my Xenforo configuration or something wrong with my host?

I'm about to head off to bed.. but have you tried entering a ticket to see if Mike or somebody can take a look at it. Usually it's easy to do when someone can access the ACP and your cPanel setup to check the settings.

If SMTP isn't working, you should be seeing errors in the XF control panel telling you what is failing. If you're not getting those -- and you're sure you're triggering actions that are sending emails -- then the email has been accepted by the SMTP server and it's really the SMTP server's responsibility to deliver it or tell you that it couldn't. (Not being funny here -- that's actually what the spec says.)

If neither option is working on your host, I would guess that there's something wrong with the mail systems on your host. The only way to disable emails in XenForo is a debug-style option that you have to manually add to config.php. You could try setting up Gmail temporarily to see if that works. If it does, you could then go back to your host to try to have them sort it.

Hey guys after a frustrating week trying to get this to work, I finally had no other options so I moved my forum to a different host and guess what? the email work flawlessly with the default option. So the problem here was definitely on my host end. If anyone has this similar problem try a different host.

With that being said, I just want to thank everyone in this thread for all the help, support and troubleshooting. Thank you very much!

No Tracy, I also have shared hosting and use the "Email transport method" with the default and I get my email notifications just fine. However, when I first set up the email options I had the same problem but once it started working it has been working ever since. Just because you have the default box checked that doesn't indicate your using a VPS.

Last edited:
No Tracy, I also have shared hosting and use the "Email transport method" with the default and I get my email notifications just fine. However, when I first set up the email options I had the same problem but once it started working it has been working ever since. Just because you have the default box checked that doesn't indicate your using a VPS.
Considering I haven't used a shared hosting plan in over 2 years (they were more hassle than they were worth - HostGator) and at the time I used them they didn't allow php mail functions to work (you HAD to use SMTP) that's not an unexpected response - which Mike had already clarified IF the host allows php mail functions (and not all of them do - as is apparent by this individuals old hosting company not working and his new one DOES) it should work using the built in PHP functions.

Shared hosting is getting better but I believe you're right, it's more hassle sometimes than it's worth. Good for when you're just starting out and getting your feet wet.

Top Bottom