Other New Resource Manager at waindigo.com

Google gives a short discript and a link.. RSS feeds give a blurb of content and "read more" sending you to the orginal content. Neither pull the entire page right down to images and CSS. I have always liked you Jon, but sorry. I just do not agree with what is being done here from the current prospective.
This is not what my site does.

As far as I'm concerned he's providing useful backlinks to our own sites. This is good for SEO.
Which it does (y)

Perhaps Waindigo should just rename this Waindigo Search Engine or XF Search Engine.

It's basically a news feed providing the cached search contents of the resource manager, minus any downloads.... The same as Google, Bing, and Yahoo.

hm...the issue with the license here is that a lot of free resources don't have a license description. I noticed this from the start. This can be very misleading to people who intend to share foreign resources. As I can imagine most people don't bother with this legal matter, they may think that resources that don't have license descriptions can freely be shared, but this is in fact wrong. The truth is, if somebody shares a resource and don't provide a license description, then by law the "All rights reserved" copyright applies. Which means that as an owner he has exclusive rights to his work. Due to the xenforo.com user agreement this right will be shared with the xenforo owners, though.

Since resources aren't only add-ons, but tutorials also, mirroring them without getting permission in the first place is against the copyright law (US, UK etc. are in this regard the same).

All this can possibly be resolved if Xenforo extends the resource manager to allow authors to specify the license of their resource, not in the description, but in the sidebar.

To be clear:
  • the description of a resource is only shown if the author is a member of waindigo.com (opt-out available)
  • for authors who are not members, only the title, author name and statistics are shown
  • no downloads of add-ons are available through waindigo.com

hm...the issue with the license here is that a lot of free resources don't have a license description. I noticed this from the start. This can be very misleading to people who intend to share foreign resources. As I can imagine most people don't bother with this legal matter, they may think that resources that don't have license descriptions can freely be shared, but this is in fact wrong. The truth is, if somebody shares a resource and don't provide a license description, then by law the "All rights reserved" copyright applies. Which means that as an owner he has exclusive rights to his work. Due to the xenforo.com user agreement this right will be shared with the xenforo owners, though.

Since resources aren't only add-ons, but tutorials also, mirroring them without getting permission in the first place is against the copyright law (US, UK etc. are in this regard the same).

All this can possibly be resolved if Xenforo extends the resource manager to allow authors to specify the license of their resource, not in the description, but in the sidebar.
Most of the XF localized fan forums have asked for reposting rights to Xeniques resources, and we granted them permission.

Sorry to ask but what kind of license is that?
The tutorials I posted don't have licenses, as till now it had only been copied by pirates (And not really much could be done about them).

Every other site who has posted them had asked permission.

The tutorials I posted don't have licenses, as till now it had only been copied by pirates (And not really much could be done about them).

The tutorials will probably removed completely anyway, because it doesn't really serve any purpose replicating them.

Just because you didn't specify a license for your tutorials doesn't mean they don't have licenses. They are "All rights reserved" by law. As such, people are not entitled to copy your work unless they ask for permission first.

Reactions: Kim

Sorry I was speaking of free addons. All majors scripts in our area have a precise license. This type of license often influences the choice of users to use or not a script. Why does forum addon developers don't do same? vBulletin.org had the same problem. That's the point I don't understand. Once a license is chosen no matter if one's script is on a website we don't like providing the legal license is respected.

It's no follow. What good is that?
I don't care about follow/no-follow stuff. What's important to me is bounce rate. How long they stay on the site before leaving. If they click one or two links on the site before leaving then that's good. If they just click it once then are like meh and leave in less than a minute or so then that's not good.

Sorry I was speaking of free addons. All majors scripts in our area have a precise license. This type of license often influences the choice of users to use or not a script. Why does forum addon developers don't do same? vBulletin had the same problem. That's the point I don't understand. Once a license is chosen no matter if one's script is on a website we don't like providing the legal license is respected.
Our downloads include a license that stipulates that you may not re-post on any site, nor share it.

Reactions: Kim
Top Bottom