My members are boring me

Have you by chance, tried to mail out an e-mail or two? Maybe remind a few people that you're there. Do you have an add-on to send out reminders to people who've not signed in after X time?

Have you by chance, tried to mail out an e-mail or two? Maybe remind a few people that you're there. Do you have an add-on to send out reminders to people who've not signed in after X time?
I do have a hack which sends out a reminder email.

I try not to spam my members. So I try to keep mailings at a low. But yes, I have sent one or two in the past. I think Easter was the last one I sent.

If they are getting boring, ask a few to post nude photos of themselves. Just be honest and say that you are a bit bored. People can be sympathetic, and you might get some nice pics. "It doesn't hurt to ask". "Honesty is the best policy".
This is actually a great idea. This chick who used to admin on some other site has been giving me advice and suggested i create a tit competition thread. I said why should i? I'd just look like a perv. She insisted. So i did it and then she posted her own pics and some members followed afterwards. It was weird. Even dudes posted pics of themselves. So that was good advice and activity jumped up.

I have seen someone do that once. Not I. But on another site. They didn't ask for nudes, but did comment on how they thought the site was becoming less busy.

Best advise for anyone who thinks that is a good idea. DO NOT DO IT.

People left that place faster than most people would leave a burning building after the admin made that comment.
It worked for my site because most of my members came from a hot or not rating site.

A lot of my remaining members are older. I much doubt they would post nudes. I doubt even more anyone would want to see them. We use to have some younger people, but that has changed.

I've always had that issue. It seems that the thread starters always were out to please me, so I could make them a mod or admin. I've only made one brown noser a mod and they went mouse quiet after I made them one. I regret it -.-

I have my staff make new threads I kinda enforce a 1 week activity week rule with each one and they all post new threads and random crap 1 week a month. It helps a little but I have to keep prodding them to do this.

I let a lot of my members stir the pot and cause arguments (often getting out of hand) but it didn't make new threads. I used to have a thread on my site that was over 280-300 pages long over one debate on someone's game style... it did get off topic pretty quick but they kept changing the subject so fast that I just left it as is. It was on topic for the matter of an 'argument' but the end of the thread was totally unrelated to the beginning.

I guess it does sound a little funny when you put it that way. But it sure does not feel funny. Cause yes, they are starting to bore me and with the continued decline, I would imagine they are boring each other.

I have a wide range of topics. Everything from general chat, religion, politics, technology, entertainment, news, and even adult content.

Over a 1,000 members, but only 45 of them log-in daily. We're only a few months away from our second year. I would like for it to go on many more.
General chat forum is not exactly in short supply, isn't it?
That may be the root of the problem right there. I don't see myself posting random stuff on a random forum. It must have something of great value to my goals, be it education, career, etc.
If I run such general forums, I'm sure I will be bored to death with trying to post general threads that I have very little personal interest in.

General chat forum is not exactly in short supply, isn't it?
That may be the root of the problem right there. I don't see myself posting random stuff on a random forum. It must have something of great value to my goals, be it education, career, etc.
If I run such general forums, I'm sure I will be bored to death with trying to post general threads that I have very little personal interest in.
No disrespect, but I could never imagine talking about 1 thing all day either. For example, a game theme or a job theme isn't in short supply either and I really would run out of things to talk about in either field. I would imagine so would everyone else.

Forums in general, no matter what the topic are not in short supply.

But as general forums go, you have a much wider range of things to talk about. And without giving myself away. I can safely say that my general forum offers a little something different compared to most other general forums.

Best of luck with your work.
All I can say is when the founders do not have the fire, passion, interest, anymore, many times people move on by selling it to someone else or shut it down.
I hope it does not come down to that for you.
We are on the same platform, format (online forum) so I can honestly sympathize with your struggle and I hope you find way to succeed.

Best of luck with your work.
All I can say is when the founders do not have the fire, passion, interest, anymore, many times people move on by selling it to someone else or shut it down.
I hope it does not come down to that for you.
We are on the same platform, format (online forum) so I can honestly sympathize with your struggle and I hope you find way to succeed.
Failure is not an option. And I continue to work hard in developing my community. My only issue is I am running out of idea's to get everyone else to be just as interested and as active as I am. But failure continues to be not an option.

Well despite being a "General" chat you will need a niche. You want your members to be like like 'Yeah I have a dozen other general chat forums that I visit but this one is best for *insert niche here*'
People will discuss other things naturally but it's best to focus on one subject. All your energy into one area of your general chat.

I used to own a general chat forum and I had a small community it was under 500 members with about half being active on a weekly basis. Despite it being 'general' I focused a lot on 'weird news'. We'd talking about stranger reports all over the world :) People branched off from there and the forum grew quite a bit beforeee i forgot to re-register the domain name and squatter took it -.-

Top Bottom