XF 1.1 My Forum's Getting Lots Of Spam

System0

edit by jake - I just posted a resource that consolidates all of the information from this thread into one guide:
http://xenforo.com/community/resources/dealing-with-forum-spam.980/

I've never had any problems with spam before but when I checked my forum today I saw lots of spam threads. Some were in Russian though many were in English.

I checked some users and they had fully validated their account using Gmail. The spam is undoubtedly automated though.

Some users have signed up using the domain andasio.com.

At the moment I am getting a new thread every few minutes and the IP addresses are all different so there doesn't seem to be any way to stop it

(note: I haven't installed any new add ons or mods in a while so I don't think that's the issue)

I used to have this problem with vBulletin though this is the first time I've ever had a problem with XenForo. It's kind of taken me by surprise to be honest.

Any idea how this is happening and how I can stop it?

Thanks,
Kevin

I like those types of captchas, not sure if they can be beaten by bots or not. Demo
Not going to stop humans though
The problem with forums is ... once you get by registration ... YOU ARE IN !
Then you can login WITH NO RESTRICTION.

Adding a step to the Login process would drastically reduce the recent wave.

I keep thinking that some Gritter notification that must be clicked before you can post. So that when you have no likes, and you post something, 10 seconds after they post .... send a popup Gritter notification to them .... and if they don't click it .... the post auto deletes.

When you do post ... and you have no likes ... require some manual task to be done for the posting process to be complete.

The problem with forums is ... once you get by registration ... YOU ARE IN !
Then you can login WITH NO RESTRICTION.

Adding a step to the Login process would drastically reduce the recent wave.

I keep thinking that some Gritter notification that must be clicked before you can post. So that when you have no likes, and you post something, 10 seconds after they post .... send a popup Gritter notification to them .... and if they don't click it .... the post auto deletes.

When you do post ... and you have no likes ... require some manual task to be done for the posting process to be complete.

The answer somewhere else, very easy one i mean :coffee:
Easier = better = profit :giggle:
I ve solved this with Q&A (easy to google/wiki questions about NASA, YouTube, Earth, Google & famous ppl) this type of question wont annoy people and wont let spamers to break through your security.

Like all of you here I have noticed an uptake in spam registrations although luckily I had xen utilities running and the 10 or so that got through were quick to handle. I have been working on a friends phpbb board for the last couple weeks and I have been getting the admin emails when a new person registers and it seems the spam registrations have been in the same time frame as the xen spam. I got 75 emails today.

I was wondering if this would work. Could we use the route changer to change the the route to the login page from www.yourdomain/xenboard/login/ and change it to www.yourdomain/xenboard/somethingrandom/ then redirect the original /login/ route to the XRumer site or where ever via htaccess?

Edit I am assuming the script is browsing directly to the login page.

This can help with the spam???
https://www.keycaptcha.com/captcha-for-cms/

Someone has used this??

I'm really going to hope this works.

I've been hit...... HARD ...... I've always had Xen Utilities installed and used all 3 spam services. It turns out it has blocked over 2,000 (20 per page / 100 papges) worth of spammer in the last 2 days. But of course some of them are still getting in.

We originally were using Google's reCAPTCHA and clearly that isn't working.

Question and Answers need to be kept at simple Math only questions, because not everyone who registers can read or write in English. Sadly, the new A.I. that seems to have targeted us can do math... Very well math.

0 + 0 - 0 + 25131 - 2012 + 666 + 9002250007 - 3 =

:(

And I refuse to block whole countries just because of some idiot.

I'm going to also start using Cloudflare, even though I sometimes think it does more harm than good.

I've been hit...... HARD ...... I've always had Xen Utilities installed and used all 3 spam services. It turns out it has blocked over 2,000 (20 per page / 100 papges) worth of spammer in the last 2 days. But of course some of them are still getting in.

Question and Answers need to be kept at simple Math only questions, because not everyone who registers can read or write in English. Sadly, the new A.I. that seems to have targeted us can do math... Very well math.

I'm going to also start using Cloudflare, even though I sometimes think it does more harm than good.
Your concern is the disadvantages of Question Captcha but by using math, it always be bypassed by the bot. reCaptcha is also be bypassed by bot also.

Is why I'm hoping this one will work

https://www.keycaptcha.com/captcha-for-cms/

You actually have to drag and drop puzzle pieces to make a complete photo. Something I don't yet think can be done by a bot.
This is interesting stuff. It could make a funny time for users but also make angry for real/lazy users :D. But IMO, this is easier for real users to complete rather than reCaptcha, sometime I could not able to read texts inside them :-s

Reactions: HWS
This is interesting stuff. It could make a funny time for users but also make angry for real/lazy users :D. But IMO, this is easier for real users to complete rather than reCaptcha, sometime I could not able to read texts inside them :-s
Google reCAPTCHA has always been hard to read, but the white background that XenForo uses for it, has always made it even harder. The few times I've ever installed Google's version; I always used the standard red theme as it was a bit easier (not by much, but more than the white color theme).

What I had to do was to switch to Question and Answer, and I wrote my question using "spam speak" like this: Wh@t d0e$ 8 pLv$ 2 equa1? Please type the number. I am starting to think that the bot/spam scripts can read the reCaptcha, but this method seems to be working for me.

Top Bottom