My concerns about paid plugins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually I bought 2 and brought friends to xenForo and they are a liiiittle bit pissed at me to be honest :D
Then to be brutally honest you should have done more research before parting with your cash. You can browse these forums and see any shortcomings of the product and play with the demo. Remember, this forum is running a stock installation of XF. No addons (apart from the Enhanced Search) and some custom code/templates to do the footer.

I do not agree XF is expensive unless you want no branding (which for XF needs to be expensive to make sense), but I do agree that the emergence of paid plugins is a problem and I have stated this a few times before that this is not good for competition and customers. I prefer how it works on vb.org where you can hire coders privately and everything else is mostly free, or at least there is a lite version with the option of going full.

People are probably going to argue that with paid plugins in Resources you will see more releases but I would not agree with that argument. This has not been a problem with vB so there's no reason it would be a problem here. My suggestion is: require coders to provide a lite version if they choose to release a paid add-on. That is if you want to keep allowing paid add-ons at all, which seems to be the choice here. Personally, I would not have allowed paid add-ons to be released publicly. It's nice that the owners allow others to make money from their script, but they (and their customers) would probably benefit more from a completely free Resource section. Then create a sub-forum for paid requests.

Then to be brutally honest you should have done more research before parting with your cash. You can browse these forums and see any shortcomings of the product and play with the demo. Remember, this forum is running a stock installation of XF. No addons (apart from the Enhanced Search) and some custom code/templates to do the footer.
That is very well said. But it also proves my point and if you love xenForo you should see exactly this as a very bad sign for the future ;)

Maybe I will take a 1-2 week vacation, and code counterparts to all plugins here and set them in the resource manager for a symbolic 1$? :D

I do not agree XF is expensive unless you want no branding (which for XF needs to be expensive to make sense), but I do agree that the emergence of paid plugins is a problem and I have stated this a few times before that this is not good for competition and customers. I prefer how it works on vb.org where you can hire coders privately and everything else is mostly free, or at least there is a lite version with the option of going full.

People are probably going to argue that with paid plugins in Resources you will see more releases but I would not agree with that argument. This has not been a problem with vB so there's no reason it would be a problem here. My suggestion is: require coders to provide a lite version if they choose to release a paid add-on. That is if you want to keep allowing paid add-ons at all, which seems to be the choice here. Personally, I would not have allowed paid add-ons to be released publicly. It's nice that the owners allow others to make money from their script, but they would probably benefit more from a completely free Resource section. Then create a sub-forum for paid requests.

Couldn't agree more!

People are probably going to argue that with paid plugins in Resources you will see more releases but I would not agree with that argument. This has not been a problem with vB so there's no reason it would be a problem here. My suggestion is: require coders to provide a lite version if they choose to release a paid add-on. That is if you want to keep allowing paid add-ons at all, which seems to be the choice here. Personally, I would not have allowed paid add-ons to be released publicly. It's nice that the owners allow others to make money from their script, but they would probably benefit more from a completely free Resource section. Then create a sub-forum for paid requests.
Personally I like that it's all in one place. If I do happen to want a paid script I can just buy it here rather than have to go somewhere else and register and give out all my details again.

That is very well said. But it also proves my point and if you love xenForo you should see exactly this as a very bad sign for the future ;)

Maybe I will take a 1-2 week vacation, and code counterparts to all plugins here and set them in the resource manager for a symbolic 1$? :D

I do like the software but I do not see it as a bad sign for the future of XF. The biggest threat to this software is the lawsuit. Not the price.

I look forward to seeing your addons being made available in the Resource Manager over the next few weeks.....

People are free to not pay for them.
And those who have paid, they get their .zip file.
Their pay doesn't automatically mean they have a guarantee of development or future support.
Nobody knows the future. I have yet to see a XenForo site, including this one, offer a Terms of Guarantee.

!
No offence meant at all but the only point you're putting across to me is that you like to moan for very little reason.

Actually I bought 2 and brought friends to xenForo and they are a liiiittle bit pissed at me to be honest :D

I'll happily swap you 2 vBulletin suite licenses for 2 XenForo licenses if your friends think that would suit you better, anbd provided the licenses have more than 6 months left on them.

I'll happily swap you 2 vBulletin suite licenses for 2 XenForo licenses if your friends think that would suit you better, anbd provided the licenses have more than 6 months left on them.
Hell no ... I want to spark a small revolution here for the better and not to go 'vom Regen in die Traufe' :D :D

Actually you do not.
You mean it's not fair for a customer to have a discussion about the contributions on this web site for a product he's using and investing time and money into, after hearing there are more than a handful of threads where people share their concern and developers of add-ons parting with XenForo, including those who made paid ones? Just to inquire what perhaps others think/feel about this, or to simply gather more info to perhaps change his mind?

(regardless of my opinion about this discussion in question as I think someone simply shouldn't pay for something they don't think is worth it or whatever my opinion might be).

I have already had to remove 1 lewd and completely unacceptable comment in this thread, and people are descending into personal attacks.

Further attacks or comments of a similar nature will result in warnings and/or the thread being locked.

You mean it's not fair for a customer to have a discussion about the contributions on this web site for a product he's using and investing time and money into, after hearing there are more than a handful of threads where people share their concern and developers of add-ons parting with XenForo, including those who made paid ones? Just to inquire what perhaps others think/feel about this, or to simply gather more info to perhaps change his mind?

(regardless of my opinion about this discussion in question as I think someone simply shouldn't pay for something they don't think is worth it or whatever my opinion might be).

This is exactly what is happening. The open hostility (of > 80% plugin developers?) towards someone who is trying to raise an issue for the GOOD of xenForo is alarming to be honest ... :/

Aww I wanted to post something factual....

The first thread and the second thread have over 40 minutes of post time between them so it could not have been a double post by accident :)

and people with good intents....do not start off by insulting those they are supposedly trying to help.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom