• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

Multiple Account Detection

g0rn

Description:
This modification sets a special cookie which is not cleared on logout and tracks which accounts are used on the same computer and browser. The idea is mostly similar to the Multiple account login detector (AE Detector) vBulletin modification.
This modification currently does not utilize any kind of IP checks neither it prevents users from registering, but it's possible that these features will be implemented in future.

Features:
  • Notify selected users using Private Conversations system about detected accounts.
  • Notify staff by creating a thread in the selected forum.
  • Automatically ban an account if any of the accounts used on the same computer are banned.
  • Require manual approval for multiple accounts.
  • Select ignored users and user groups (primary or secondary).
  • Select cookie name.
Installation:
  1. Upload MultipleAccountDetection folder to your XenForo's library folder.
  2. Import XML file as an Add-On (Admin Control Panel -> Install Add-On).
  3. Configure the detection in Multiple Account Detection options group in Admin Control Panel.
Upgrade:
  1. Upload MultipleAccountDetection folder to your XenForo's library folder (make sure you overwrite the old files).
  2. Admin Control Panel -> Manage Add-Ons -> Multiple Account Detection -> Select "Upgrade" and import an XML file.
Change log:
v1.0.0 — 13 October 2010:
  • Initial release
v1.0.1 — 16 October 2010
  • Added an option that allows you to require manual approval of multiple accounts
  • Small fixes
License:
This add-on is distributed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License.

Please feel free to post here your questions and suggestions.

Attachments

Awesome sauce, thanks very much for this :D.

One thing I would prefer is to not have the message they were banned because they had a previous account that was, this IMO gives them a clue. Would rather they just get a standard ban message.

One thing I would prefer is to not have the message they were banned because they had a previous account that was, this IMO gives them a clue. Would rather they just get a standard ban message.

Or "You are Busted for Creating Multiple Account " might be good i guess we can change that message ourself too once the add-on is installed.

True we probably can. From past experience banned users will try just about anything to get back in, especially if they're angry people. I would just have the message "You have been banned" - possibly with a few choice expletives ;), give them no clue as to why.

I completly re-wrote the original for use on my vb forum. One thing I added, thats similar to the feature you have added is that multiple users in non exempted usergroups are automatically moderated when detected. A staff member will then only re-enable them if they give a satisfactory explanation (there can be genuine reasons for tripping this).

One of the things I have setup (using the vB mod you mentioned) is that it doesn't actually do any actions, but just informs ME of what's going on. There are times that I allow dupe accounts in because it allows me to monitor and catch some things I wouldn't of otherwise. So my question is, is it possible to only report, to the admin instead of report to the user and take action?

I completly re-wrote the original for use on my vb forum. One thing I added, thats similar to the feature you have added is that multiple users in non exempted usergroups are automatically moderated when detected. A staff member will then only re-enable them if they give a satisfactory explanation (there can be genuine reasons for tripping this).
I agree with this because we had friends and family use each other's computer.

Typo in screenshot 3... "One of the accounts you use..."

Thanks for this though, will definitely use it in the future :_
Thanks!

You can edit or even blank the phrase called "one_of_your_accounts_is_banned".
can it detect same ips under two or several accounts
Currently it does not detect IPs, but it's possible it will be implemented in future.
One of the things I have setup (using the vB mod you mentioned) is that it doesn't actually do any actions, but just informs ME of what's going on. There are times that I allow dupe accounts in because it allows me to monitor and catch some things I wouldn't of otherwise. So my question is, is it possible to only report, to the admin instead of report to the user and take action?
Yes, you can disable auto-ban option and it will only report about detections but won't ban anyone even if another account is banned.

Yes, you can disable auto-ban option and it will only report about detections but won't ban anyone even if another account is banned.
can you also move them to a specific usergroup, which is under moderation.

thanks for making this add-on :)

Version 1.0.1 released!
  • Added an option that allows you to require manual approval of multiple accounts
  • Small fixes

installed easily enough, but the error is pretty cryptic:

Error

Please enter a valid value for this option.

Top Bottom