XF 1.2 More Assorted Things

We missed last week, but lets make it up with a look at a bunch of new things coming in 1.2. We do still have various "big" things to show, but we'll save them for another day.

Template editing improvements: tabs, ctrl-s, auto tabbing
The template editor in the admin CP is now easier to code directly within with a few changes:
  • Pressing tab will now insert an actual tab.
  • You can save the template using ctrl+s (or cmd+s).
  • When you press enter on a line that starts with whitespace, the next line will automatically start with that amount of whitespace. (Basically, this keeps your tab depth.)
  • If you highlight multiple lines, you can use tab or shift-tab to indent or outdent all of the selected lines automatically.
<xen:set> improvements
In certain situations, you may want to use the <xen:set> tag to set non-scalar values, generally arrays. You can now do that with this structure:
Code:
<xen:set var="$var" value="{xen:array 'a=b', 'c=d'}" />

New <xen:callback> tag
While generally we don't recommend running PHP via templates, some times it's significantly simpler than writing a full add-on. Here's an example call:

Code:
<xen:callback class="Class_Name_Here" method="getHtml"><b>HTML that will be passed to the callback.</b></xen:callback>

For advanced usage, you can also pass params to the callback via the params attribute (like in template hooks).

To try to limit any untoward usage of this, we place a couple constraints:
  • Like all of our other callbacks, it must happen to a method within a class. You can't just read out /etc/passwd directly.
  • The method that you're calling must start with a limited set of prefixes: get, is, has, render, view, return, print, show, display
I should note that while we've deprecated template hooks, you can actually use this with the new template modification system to effectively create new hooks. That is, if you'd rather work on the final rendered output rather than the template itself.

Option to block logins entirely after a few failures
By default, we only CAPTCHA block accounts after several failed login attempts. This may be more user friendly but some people may consider it to be a security issue. You now have the option to disable logins instead of showing a CAPTCHA.

New password storage: Bcrypt
1.2 introduces a more secure password storage method known as bcrypt. Most hashing schemes are designed to be fast, which makes them unsuitable for password storage. Bcrypt is intentionally slow and is also tunable so it can do more work over time as computers become faster.

Whenever a user logs in, their password will automatically be upgraded to the bcrypt format.

Weekly and monthly stat groupings
Currently, statistics can only be generated on a daily basis. You can now choose to view the totals on a weekly or monthly basis. This allows you to see longer-term trends more easily.

Notable members, member list disabled
By default, the full members list page is now disabled. On larger boards, not only is it useless (and a spam magnet), it's actually a huge performance issue.

The notable members page looks a bit like the standard members list page, but it shows people of note:
  • Most messages
  • Most likes received
  • Most trophy points
  • Today's birthdays
  • (Non-hidden) Staff members
notable-members.webp
Notification emails: easy unsubscribe
Thread notification emails now have 2 unsubscribe links that do not require users to login to use them; one link stops email notifications from the thread the email was from, while the other stops them from all content.

Setting custom routes as the index
The index page (that is, what is currently at http://xenforo.com/community/) can now be set to any route URL. By default, this will be the forum list, but you could set this to resources, a portal page, or something else entirely. If you do change it, the forum list will automatically be located at http://xenforo.com/community/forums/.

Right, let's leave it there today... :)

Shouldn't of said it... the only thing I find useful in the members page is the Find Member, quick easy way to find someones profile.
Find Member seems to be still present. Although, I could have sworn I'd seen member results when I searched a few times.

Shouldn't of said it... the only thing I find useful in the members page is the Find Member, quick easy way to find someones profile.
With vB I would do that but with XF I just use the standard search box with a partial user name to get the results in the sidebar.

I can safely say that for every forum I have ever used, I have never once used the member list.

maybe that's because the Memberlists at Forums are just boring ? :cool:
If it would be designed to be more "interactive" or more "exciting", then it might be different ....

1)
Just making this page the "Main Memberlist Tab" would already add value:
http://xenforo.com/community/recent-activity/

... and having the "A-Z Memberlist" (or the "Notable Members") as a sub-tab would change things and would make any Forum look more lively.
Prospective new members are rather clicking onto "Main Tabs" than on "Sub-Tabs".

2)
Showing "Followers of my own Followers" would add nicely to the Memberlist and would also entice Members to use the "Following-feature":
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/show-followers-of-my-own-followers.42459/
http://pinterest.com/whitneyeveport/followers/

3)
And have a look at this one:
https://new.myspace.com/discover/people

memberlist_change_boring.webp

1.2 Just keeps getting better and better.

Not too bothered either way about the member list, I never pay too much attention to it but it is handy on the odd occasion.

Please dont comment that you dont find the MB useful. If that's the case then this is simply irrelevant to you and does not need your comment.
Whether people find it a relevant feature or not I think they have every right to comment on it here.

I never thought I'd see the day when a forum software finally addresses the issues of editing template and code in a web page's text box. :D Absolutely awesome work, Mike.

If there would be any way to get a even an estimated release window for 1.2, that would really help me (and others in my position) plan our forum migrations. I'll be converting an 8.1 million post-forum, so it's going to be quite a project.

I can safely say that for every forum I have ever used, I have never once used the member list.
I've used the member list for various things such as how long folk have been registered, top 10 posters, when when full members last visited (so I can PM the disappeared to see if all is OK etc), to check on membership of teams (we used groups for this on another gaming forum) and a few other things besides.

The notable members page may address some of this but not all of it. I'll be interested to know if you can configure the number of members displayed in each 'category' (the image only shows 4 in each - can it be set to 10 or 20?) It's good to see this has been developed but it's a shame if the full member list is to be left forgotten.

Please dont comment that you dont find the MB useful. If that's the case then this is simply irrelevant to you and does not need your comment.

The memberlist is a waste of resources. It is irrelevant and does not require any development. There are other bigger and better things the devs should focused on and the memberlist isn't one of them.
P.S. Asking people to withhold their comments because they don't share the same opinion as you is wrong.

Me neither, except for a few things on my own forum. To get a complete list of the reputation ranking (vb). And sometimes to see the latest registrations. I believe our members only use it for checking the reputation ranking. The notable members page will provide a short ranking for things like that, but the screenshot didn't show pagination. So hopefully this can be added.

I also agree with the suggestions to make this page look less boring. Focus on member pictures, make it look sexy. For example why not show 'visiting cards' instead of dull links. :)

PS: erich37 posted some good suggestions.

So why so much "conflict" on this thread :D ?

I know it's really weird.

The needs of those who DON'T want the full memberlist are well covered.
They will be able to disable it or use a shiny new version which is much better adapted to big boards.
That was announced at the start of the thread. There's no more to be said on this point of view except to thank Mike for the improvement.

But the group who DO need the full memberlist are not yet covered.
This has been mentioned on the board persistently ever since XF started. So there is still need for discussion on it.
But noticeably whenever those who do need the feature try to talk about it, now or previously, it gets a reaction from those who don't want it. It seems they want to block the feature for others as well as just disabling it themselves.

Their anxiety was understandable in previous discussions before when a more elaborate memberlist would use resources on their boards. But with the new option to disable it, this will not be a problem.
It is therefore mysterious why a group whose needs are about to be met, still wish to interfere with the other group whose needs are not yet met.

I see many features proposed or discussed, including on this thread, which are of no interest to me. To me that is no problem. I just focus on the things I do need, and skim across the rest without needing to enter those discussions.

The memberlist is a waste of resources. It is irrelevant and does not require any development. There are other bigger and better things the devs should focused on and the memberlist isn't one of them.
P.S. Asking people to withhold their comments because they don't share the same opinion as you is wrong.
Absolutely. I also wonder why the memberlist was included in first place.

Notable members sounds much better. :)

Top Bottom