Implemented Mobile Style

hcmagix

Is there planing xF for Browsers in mobile Devices like IPB?

My dream is xF recognizes the the resolution of the client browser are under fe 600*400 and change automatically in a special Style for mobile device browsers like iphon, ipad, RIM etc.

When the user back on pc the normal style should be loaded.

Upvote 6
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
I was thinking, as opposed to making a mobile theme for Xenforo (which I hear is coming out soon), why not just make Xenforos default style full responsive?

This will mean that a user will not need to skin 2 styles. The main theme will look normal on a PC, but automatically "transform" when viewed on a mobile device.

Thanks.

I think the default theme should be simplified anyways, and this would allow the main theme to be made responsive easier.

• The border radius on the nav is too much
  • Gradients too strong
A responsive theme would have a simpler header, instead of a breadcrumb perhaps just the title and the quick navigation, simpler forumbit, no sidebar or perhaps even a slideout sidebar would be pretty awesome (pan left to show sidebar on right on smart phones).

I think the default theme should be simplified anyways, and this would allow the main theme to be made responsive easier.

• Gradients too strong
A responsive theme would have a simpler header, instead of a breadcrumb perhaps just the title and the quick navigation, simpler forumbit, no sidebar or perhaps even a slideout sidebar would be pretty awesome (pan left to show sidebar on right on smart phones).

your ferrari sounds cool bro but I like my generic ford thanks

• Gradients too strong

I see what you are saying, but that is not completely true. However, I think I am saying something else completely. I am not suggesting that the default theme is made simpler, as to allow users to customise it easier. I am saying it should be responsive by default. I will show you a wordpress skin that is responsive, yet it is still "complex".

http://www.wpexplorer.com/premium/office/

Take a look at that theme. Try resizing your browser window and see what happens to the design, or better yet take a look at it through your phone or tablet. The navigation changes, things move and resize, etc. I think if the Xenforo skin was coded like this to begin with, not only will it solve mobile browsing issues, but every theme that the community releases after that point will be a mobile theme by default.

I am not a developer or anything, and I am SURE there are things I have overlooked that will make it difficult to do. But anything is possible, and something like this will make Xenforo another step ahead of the competition.

Yes, a mobile friendly theme be the default theme is a great idea.

Per wikipedia, as of September 2012, Facebook has over one billion ACTIVE users, more than half of whom use the social platform on a mobile device.

Based on the rather large hint Mike dropped in the latest HYS :D, I'm going to mark this as implemented.

Oh yeah, one more thing on the editor, it's fully responsive:
ss-2013-05-17_12-49-20-png.46349

That should be a hint... :)

So what does it mean if a mobile/responsive style is implemented?

What if I have a custom style(a few small changes other then just color/css), will that become responsive/mobile automatically or would I have to recreate everything on a special mobile/responsive version of the template?

Thanks!

It really depends on the style. Without seeing implementations it'll be hard. I'm sure a few things will auto-become responsive, while others may need work. Upon release, installing a test board and installing your style to test and update is most likely your best option.

Top Bottom