• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

mercGallery Lite Beta 1

When you click on an image ...
The Gallery part of the Breadcrumb drops off.
And Breadcrumbs work very well for gallery hierarchies.

Home > Gallery > Classic

http://savagerebirth.com/index.php?...-codebase-with-shadows-and-bloom.7/view-image

Edit template "merc_gallerylite_image_view"
Find:
Code:
<xen:navigation>
        <xen:breadcrumb href="{xen:link merc-gallerylite, $cat}">{$cat.title}</xen:breadcrumb>
</xen:navigation>
Add this code above:
Code:
<xen:breadcrumb href="{xen:link merc-gallerylite}">Gallery</xen:breadcrumb>
So it looks like:
Code:
    <xen:breadcrumb href="{xen:link merc-gallerylite, $cat}">{$cat.title}</xen:breadcrumb>
Hope this helps, and I hope I'm not over stepping my bounds here just trying to help.

EDIT: I only have a few suggestions I'd like to post.

Multiple picture upload.
Being able to give a title for a picture.
A small link back area with the full link "www.mywebsite.com/merc-gallery/myimage.jpg" for quick linking.

I have never liked this type of marketing. The product has issues. People have been supportive of you and your venture. You have a beta out that seldom seems to work or work correctly for most users. Yet give you enough money and anything is suddenly possible.

Why dont you listen to the people who could be your customers. Finish the product and charge for a working stable addon. This is in polite terms teasing. You give the people a taste of your services and then say that for enough money they can buy the whole thing.

I tried your history of betas and it still doesnt run worth cr**.
You mean giving people who want a simple gallery without any bloat for free is wrong? THIS IS A BETA RELEASE. I want to give people who just need something simple an option. And I can't justify charging for it since it is so simple. But maybe I should, maybe I should not release anything until it is a full version and charge $100 odd dollars for it. Just make stuff for the people who have money, not the people who just want to get by with their community. I charge clients $80 an hour. How about I work out the hours I spend on mods and then price them accordingly? Want to spend $500 for a gallery? It's people like you who make me want to just stop making things for the public (which I get VERY little return from) and just go about my own business and projects. The problems with this beta is a bug that got into the beta release because I was getting it finalized after being awake for 24 hours to try get it out asap because someone needed it urgently. The bug with thumbnails was fixed but in my lack of sleep got into this release. It is a simple ' in the wrong place.

Fire bug is your friend. I took a look at his demo compared to my own, and found the issue.

Edit template: "merc_gallerylite_thumb_list" For each style your currently using.
Find:
Code:
<span class="thumb"><span style="background-image: url('/gallery-images/thumbnails/{$thumb.filename})'"></span></span>
Replace:
Code:
<span class="thumb"><span style="background-image: url('/gallery-images/thumbnails/{$thumb.filename}')"></span></span>
The problem was the single quotation mark "'" was on the wrong side of the closing parentheses.
I had fixed this problem but it seems I must have forgotten to add the new file to the zip. It was a sleepless rushed job sorry, won't happen when I am out of beta.. I will find time to test properly.

Thanks Savage, Now all I need is to be able to add more than 1 pic at a time & also have no more than 50 thumbnails per page.
I just wanted to get it out, there are problems with simple things like that. If you use your reading skills you will notice it is a known bug which will easily be fixed in the next release.

Edit template "merc_gallerylite_image_view"
Find:
Code:
Add this code above:
Code:
So it looks like:
Code:
Hope this helps, and I hope I'm not over stepping my bounds here just trying to help.

EDIT: I only have a few suggestions I'd like to post.

Multiple picture upload.
Being able to give a title for a picture.
A small link back area with the full link "www.mywebsite.com/merc-gallery/myimage.jpg" for quick linking.
It's all good. I knew about it but just wanted to get the mod out so left it broken. It is beta after all (and it is noted in the OP).

You mean giving people who want a simple gallery without any bloat for free is wrong?

I just wanted to say thanks for this mod, and your business model is just fine. My website we do with what we feel, if theirs enough interest we then support it. No need to support everything under the sun that then requires more maintenance when you could be investing your time on more important things.

I tried doing mods back with vb and got chased out of the modding scene but to many umm yea, so i appreciate your work you provide for us. Looking forward to the full version of this mod.

I just wanted to get it out, there are problems with simple things like that. If you use your reading skills you will notice it is a known bug which will easily be fixed in the next release.

I was simply expressing what I was wanting and if you took the time to have a look at my prior post's I am certain that you would have read it as I wrote it (exited and eager for a few features to be implemented). Sorry if somehow my posts came across as anything else, including the inability for me to read.

A ago I released a little code block to show a random image from Photopost in vBulletin 4. The amount of questions I got on seemingly easy (read the docs, folks. it's less than 20 lines of code) questions and the general lack of appreciation I got after helping folks out swayed me away from wanting to write anything and maintain it. Paid or not.

So I have to give props to anybody who'd willingly actually write something as complex as a "simple gallery" and support it for free.

As long as the product is good, does what it says it should without a reasonable amount of fuss, I'd pay for the full version. I'd just hate to see it get released and then get abandoned out of frustration, and my images get locked into a system that nobody would ever write an importer for. (Which is sort of my situation with Photopost.)

I was simply expressing what I was wanting and if you took the time to have a look at my prior post's I am certain that you would have read it as I wrote it (exited and eager for a few features to be implemented). Sorry if somehow my posts came across as anything else, including the inability for me to read.
My bad I was in a bad mood. I'll try get another release done in the next few hours to fix some of these small annoying bugs.

A ago I released a little code block to show a random image from Photopost in vBulletin 4. The amount of questions I got on seemingly easy (read the docs, folks. it's less than 20 lines of code) questions and the general lack of appreciation I got after helping folks out swayed me away from wanting to write anything and maintain it. Paid or not.

So I have to give props to anybody who'd willingly actually write something as complex as a "simple gallery" and support it for free.

As long as the product is good, does what it says it should without a reasonable amount of fuss, I'd pay for the full version. I'd just hate to see it get released and then get abandoned out of frustration, and my images get locked into a system that nobody would ever write an importer for. (Which is sort of my situation with Photopost.)
I'll keep making this stuff as I need it. If I get any type of return from it then I will do it more often and get things done faster. I was in a bad mood last night with that reply, I'm not going to stop developement anytime soon because I need this stuff. However do expect things to take even longer to get done because I now know people expect things to be release quality even if they are flagged as beta. Closed beta now I think.

I'll try get another release done in the next few hours to fix some of these small annoying bugs.

Robbo thats great news (y)
Your effort and time that you have invested into mercGallery is appreciated and however you decide to charge for the final product is fine by me

I'm closing this thread until I get a chance to go through it and tidy it up.

---

OK, I've edited one or 2 posts and deleted quite a few.

Quite frankly I'm getting sick and tired of developers being abused for producing free add-ons.
This isn't the first add-on thread which has been derailed in this manner.

It's quite simple: if you don't like the add-on, don't agree with the developer's methods or disagree with how it is being released, then don't use it.

I agree entirely with Brogan. The abuse being dished out by certain individuals to Robbo here in return for his release of a free add-on is absolutely reprehensible, and those posting it should feel thoroughly ashamed of their behaviour.

If I ever see similar abuse being posted by those posting it here, their posting privileges for the Add-on Releases forum will be revoked. I will not stand for it.

Glad to see the thread open again. And I am glad Robbo has put so much work in his free resources he's sharing with the community here - instead of keeping it closed source and to himself, or sells it encoded or something.

Thumbsup to the staff and Robbo.

Beta 1.2 another small bug release
  • fixed gallery tab not being selected
  • fixed nav tree not showing the gallery in some cases
  • fixed popular and recent actions to properly show coming soon
  • fixed a bug with thumbnails, all thumbnail problems should now be solved
New package attached to first post. Simply upload like normal and upgrade the mod through the acp, I'm sure you know how.

This is the last release for a while. I need to get the downloads mod done first, it now has priority until it is at least into beta.

PS. If I stuffed anything up with this packaging this mod up then tell me asap so I get it fixed before tomorrow (when I will be very, very intoxicated).

PS. If I stuffed anything up with this packaging this mod up then tell me asap so I get it fixed before tomorrow (when I will be very, very intoxicated).

Breadcrumbs show ...> gallery > gallery in a few places so it might be something that you want to look at after you give the downloads mod some attention.

I have just fixed that yesterdaynight :D
I also made the mod multilangual, I will ask Robbo to update the XML file in the main package ;)

Beta 1.3 another small bug release
  • Added ML Support (Front- and backend)
  • Added a main header (merc_gallerylite_header)
  • Fixed a navigation issue that showed "Gallery" Twice
  • Header now shows name of the category instead of "Gallery"
  • Added a new description layout
  • Fixed Admin CP Navigation Issue
  • Added User Group Permissions link in mercApps
New package attached to first post. Simply upload like normal and upgrade the mod through the acp, I'm sure you know how.

With the full realization that release dates can change wildly, and it is only a rough estimation....can you offer any idea of when the pro version will be available? I am in need of a full image gallery and would prefer one that is fully integrated with XF as opposed to working in 3rd party software.

Top Bottom