Massive amount of traffic

Lee

I'm assuming this traffic is somehow spoofed, because suddenly we have seen an abnormally high increase in traffic viewing one thread.

The traffic doesn't appear to be showing up in Google analytics, but using the IP lookup in xenforo the traffic looks legitimate. Real IPs resolving to real ISPs.

Has anybody ever experienced this and can anybody shed some light on what might be happening?

I say it seems spoofed because analytics doesn't seem to be catching it.

If the visitors are viewing the same thread then it's likely due to someone posting the URL on social media.

If the visitors are viewing the same thread then it's likely due to someone posting the URL on social media.
I would of thought if that were the case then the traffic would show in Google analytics would it not?

Lee, you gave the Known Bots addon installed, https://xenforo.com/community/resources/known-bots.6489/

That will identify more bots than a default install.
Yes, they aren't showing as bots.

It might be legitimate traffic, but it seems a bit odd.

Is it someone click-bombing you? Are they all different ISPs or are they from the same host? We had similar and they all resolved to a server in Newcastle UK and it was a click-bombing thing which we had to block.

They are all from different servers, all within the US, that is the confusing part. Will keep an eye on it for a few days.

This is almost certainly what you are seeing - a post with a link on social media or another forum. It happens to all forums from time to time. Enjoy it while it lasts, especially if you're running AdSense since you'll earn a bit more cash. :)

I would of thought if that were the case then the traffic would show in Google analytics would it not?
It may take time to be reflected in your Google Search Console or Google Analytics data.

Top Bottom