Many thanks to Kier and Mike for their new project

SAS

I want to express huge gratitude to the founder of the project xenForo and to all who participated in it. I and very long waited for a long time for an exit of project Kier. And now day when its project is ready has come. I very much liked your cursor, it is much better vBulletin. And as soon as it will go on sale, I will get it at once at you and I will use only this forum cursor. Once again, many thanks to all founders of the given project and good luck to you in the further development and advancement of your project. Thanks!

I'm considering building a system whereby if XenForo detects that a user is posting very short messages with a high frequency, it starts to decrement their post count. That would certainly solve that problem :D
Their post could isn't shown in the postbit so when xenForo gains widespread adoption, i see that Post count will be of less importance to the community.

Their post could isn't shown in the postbit so when xenForo gains widespread adoption, i see that Post count will be of less importance to the community.
I disagree as the trophy system coupled with ranks will make post count even more important to those who find ranks, trophies and post count important.

Now that's just the type of mod I need! It would be so helpful in many different situations....
Can I port it over to that othvber site where I could really use it? {=joke+wish} Meanwhile, really looking forward to a CMS and blog that will easily plug in to XF, so I can click forum- and blog posts to promote to article (and article is independently editable).
Meanwhile2: Even if XF doesn't have all of my hearts' desires right at launch, I plan to buy a license (if price is within my means...) to support your efforts and start getting familiar with it, because I can tell XF over medium- to long-haul is THE choice.

Poor Mike.

Congrats to both Kier and Mike for this project... :)

I don't find myself with the vB "refugee status" of a lot of other members here... I come from a very different world, with a great forum product that I love, however I am really impressed by xenforo, the product is lovely, and deserves to do really well on it's own volition.

For the record, we gave up on vB in 2002 - we had actually known John and James who started vBulletin from a site they ran called vbforums (Jethro was a member from 1999) - which wasn't about vBulletin, it was a Visual Basic programmers forum, in an interview he gave us for our own Tech site back in the day, John told us they had written vB as they were not happy with the available options for their site. They wrote a great product there is no doubt, it became the industry leader for a time.. I think that time has long since past myself.

We left vB in 2002 due to poor quality support and arrogant staff behaviour to customers, ourselves included... they did clean up their act after that era eventually, but they had lost a lot of good customers, and good will. Their current situation however is considerably worse.

Once we saw IPB there was no turning back, it was so much simpler and sleeker and cleaner and just so much nicer.... we bought a license as soon as we could even though it was not obligatory back then.

I see echos of that here too, the excitement of a new product, and getting to be involved with the dev phase is very intoxicating, I applaud the efforts of both the Devs, I can only imagine how much work has gone into getting xenforo to this stage, well done chaps!

Whilst I have no reason not to love the forum software I currently use, and will continue to use it and supply third party resources for it, I can't help but be impressed with most of what I see here, I will be using and recommending both software platforms as I see them as having slightly different positions within this market, and they are both incredibly well written and developed.

Viva la Competition! Long live xenforo!!!
beerchug.gif

What about people who just post "This" in reply to posts? Bugs me that does.

And yes, I know exactly what's coming..... :rolleyes:

^this.

(sorry, couldn't resist it!)

But yeah, I fully sign this thread. Finally a way out of the vB4 trainwreck. And what a way: I keep being seriously impressed by the thought and vision and eye for detail that has gone into the UI/UX of this product. Just excellent.

I think a +1 is ok provided you can state why it is a +1 for you.. for instance...

I'm considering building a system whereby if XenForo detects that a user is posting very short messages with a high frequency, it starts to decrement their post count. That would certainly solve that problem :D

+1 to this for the fact that if you make your users post reasonably lengthed tangible content you eliminate people who post whatever with minimal thought just for the post count. I can say for myself when I read a reply I would like to see something additional and unique to the thoughts already brewing in a thread.

my addition to your thought here what about a probation type system , if x user y amount of BADpost = postgroup.
so i guess im saying maybe that system could be similar to usergroups but rather than addressing there forum permissions in general it applies to their permissions when submitting from the editor.

Top Bottom