Managing Directly Sold Ads

That's my solution, implemented specifically for Adzerk. Adzerk works well for Direct Ad Sales, and they even announced recently a really nice integration with BuySellAds as well! If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Seems like the iframe in a div part of it could be used to prevent ads from breaking responsive design, then the question becomes can the width conditionals be somehow used to call different ad codes for any ad partner.

My situation is that my premium ad partner delivers through DfP, and is limited to leaderboard (728x90), widesky (160x600) and box (300x250) ads. There are larger options, but no smaller. I can chain someone like Burst or Lijit in for remnants where I please, but the smaller ad opportunities are few and far between. AdSense seems to have terrific options, but the effective CPM there is never going to compete.

Do you suppose there's a way to size the ads themselves inside the iframe based on the size of that div?

Either way, I appreciate (truly) you putting your own solution out there. I think there are probably lots of people crafting individual approaches for this common problem, but few contributing the way you and Brogan have to a marketplace of ideas and solutions. I'd have migrated a couple weeks ago if not for ads.

Seems like the iframe in a div part of it could be used to prevent ads from breaking responsive design, then the question becomes can the width conditionals be somehow used to call different ad codes for any ad partner.

Do you suppose there's a way to size the ads themselves inside the iframe based on the size of that div?

Either way, I appreciate (truly) you putting your own solution out there. I think there are probably lots of people crafting individual approaches for this common problem, but few contributing the way you and Brogan have to a marketplace of ideas and solutions. I'd have migrated a couple weeks ago if not for ads.

I looked into this, but what I found is that so far, it's been impossible. The problem is, that most ad networks do not allow you to run more that one instance of the ad in the same position and use CSS to hide one ad, while another shows. This is because the hidden ad will still report that it was shown when it wasn't and you would get paid for an ad that wasn't actually delivered. This is why you need an ad provider that offers responsive ad units. Even xenForo cannot change what templates are shown before they are called based on browser width (which would be the ideal solution).

Thank you for those kind words, I believe the sum is greater than it's parts, and well, isn't that why all of us run a community? So, I do my best to contribute to this community because it will, in turn, help other communities to succeed as well.

What kills me is that the asynchronous google adsense code works absolutely perfectly, but it doesn't for DFP sb.

GRR!
They make money with adsense. They don't for DFP since we just use their free services to sell to our clients.
So I guess it's not top priority to them.

Anyone using DFP might want to take a look at http://www.responsiveads.com/ I just signed up to join the beta, if you use DFP, I would suggest you do the same. Looks like a nice solution.

They have a free tool for adsense, not sure if it would work with DFP or not. http://www.responsiveads.com/responsive-adsense/

Seems like they're doing exactly what I want, simply squeezing the ads into the proper dimensions (no different than how they're treated in a non-responsive environment). Sounds like you have to upload creatives though, whereas mine are delivered via DfP from the premium partner and have remnants behind them.

I wonder if there's JS that could accomplish that, effectively constraining the size of a given ad?

There's hope, lol, though I only have six days left to find a solution.

I use Adzerk for directly contracted Ads, (they even have a feature where my advertisers can upload their own creatives, and I get an email to activate them), and I just started using Skyscraper.io managing for my budget ad slots automatically.

Quick update, skyscraper.io is shuttering their doors on Sept. 30th, 2013. Really disappointed. Considering moving to BSA.

Realistically, the advertiser end is functional. They just can't view stats yet. I could possibly sell you (and anyone else who wants to) a premature version that you can launch with if you don't mind missing features until I develop farther. Currently there aren't any admin features (aside from changing phrases, 3 options (minimum cpm, minimum amount for adding funds, and a processing fee for adding funds if you choose to), and the ability to add the ad slots as widgets), just users being able to add funds and create campaigns. If that's an option you'd be interested in using, let me know. I can show you a demo if you'd like. Send me a private conversation if you'd prefer not discussing in this thread.

That's my solution, implemented specifically for Adzerk. Adzerk works well for Direct Ad Sales, and they even announced recently a really nice integration with BuySellAds as well! If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
What are you going to use now Adzerk is kicking everyone off unless you pay $1k a month, I'm going to miss the passback tags.

What are you going to use now Adzerk is kicking everyone off unless you pay $1k a month, I'm going to miss the passback tags.

Well, Adzerk made a blog post on the 23rd. http://adzerk.com/blog/2014/06/adzerk-ends-self-serve-program

They asked for feedback, here's what I wrote:

Very disappointed with Adzerk's decision to change business models. I moved from OpenX after their fiasco of a shutdown to Adzerk and was very pleased. While I certainly understand the need to make money and get rid of the freeloaders (myself included), I am disappointed that Adzerk has done the same thing as OpenX and decided to focus only on the enterprise. I would have preferred to see Adzerk split into two organizations, one focused on API and enterprise, while the other side would focus on a Reasonaby priced Self-Serve option. I would pay $50 a month gladly for a quality service like Adzerk. (with only access to a community forum for tech support, only asking that tech support remain open for reporting bugs and issues). Take a look at PassionFruitAds.com. They charge $9 a month and take a percentage of each ad by acting like the payment processor. I'd rather pay $50 a month and let you take a small percentage of my ad contracts than see you close. I'm not looking forward to having to move my advertising over to another platform again. My advertisers have barely forgiven me for the last meltdown (when OpenX went down.)

Unless Adzerk has a change of heart, and I would encourage all Adzerk users to make a similar plea to them, I'll probably setup http://www.revive-adserver.com/ on my dedicated box (unless someone has a suggestion other than DFP that has a self-serve option)

Well, Adzerk made a blog post on the 23rd. http://adzerk.com/blog/2014/06/adzerk-ends-self-serve-program

They asked for feedback, here's what I wrote:

Unless Adzerk has a change of heart, and I would encourage all Adzerk users to make a similar plea to them, I'll probably setup http://www.revive-adserver.com/ on my dedicated box (unless someone has a suggestion other than DFP that has a self-serve option)
the problem with revive or even DfP, is none of the handle the different ad networks as nicely as adzerk did with the passback tags, I really dont understand why they were the only ones that did it so well. I'm still looking for somewhere that will allow me to pass ads back to the server for a different network so simply.

Top Bottom