Malware/Virus less than 12 hours with XF

jfp77

I am trying to be really calm right now. However, just after I had my VB imported to XF, I am contacted by my hosting company saying they are going to drop me because I have a virus/malware/corrupted files. Can someone please help me understand how this could have happened? I am getting really shaky over this because I have customers who are paying to access the site and now all of my domains are being shut down. What could have caused this?

Okay, everything is FINE. I deleted all of the files on the malware list. They were all old website templates in folders that hadn't been used for years! I did a quick clean up too and got rid of anything that didn't need to be there. I am not savvy with the cpanel tech stuff, but I've learned a great lesson here of keeping your file manager (folders/files) cleaned up and organized. Thanks for all of your help. I am SO thrilled with the response and my new XF forum is wonderful. It is so much easier to use than VB was. Thanks guys!:D
Make a backup now... you never know what might happen.

Jess I HAVE to use SFTP because Waindigo puts `my sites on Rackspace for me which is very high quality hosting and he says I have to use SFTP for safety.
So I use Filezilla - it's free and just as` easy to use as any ordinary FTP program.
This is all you have to enter to get it going for your site. File/ Site Manager
SFTP.gif

I love doing backups/restores with SSH line commands .. so much easier / faster lol. I just don't use it much anymore though haha. I guess me just lazy on the learning it all over again.. lmfao.
And sometimes, that's the only solution to import back a database. For example, if you posts table has inside a post which is very very long, the import will break. I had this problem on vB... But the problem with
SSH Command line on shared server is that your hosting company must accept to allow you to use a "jailed shell". And I don't think all accept this.

And sometimes, that's the only solution to import back a database. For example, if you posts table has inside a post which is very very long, the import will break. I had this problem on vB...

Yeah, and if I remember right... I think I had it break once for me years ago lol. But I loved using it though haha. This was years ago, cause I used it alot when I had my WordPress blog site. Actually had two blog sites, and some of the posts were pretty long, with pictures or whatever too. I think I had wordpress, media wiki, and bbPress on the one (linked together/sign on), the other one was just WordPress driven only.

But the problem with SSH Command line on shared server is that your hosting company must accept to allow you to use a "jailed shell". And I don't think all accept this.

Yeah, usually Jailed Shell is what I had too. Cause they worry about hacking attempts and what-not, they limit users to their own accounts or even stricter access. This host now, allowed me SSH "Jailed Shell", but I also had to upload a photo ID and Social Security card (if I remember right for second proof of ID)... then they enabled it for me. The host before this one/last one now... I was "semi-dedicated" hosting, didn't ask for ID at all.. but I believe was Jailed Shell too, yeah.. it was. lol

But anyway, I asked about the SSH line commands for backing up my attachments for vB on here before: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/ssh-line-commands.36646/ Cause it was nearing 800MB, and I didn't want to take couple hours downloading it lmao. Was alot easier that way.. xD