Looking forward now to 1.1

That's the functions of subforums. Once you have multilayer subforum structure, prefix won't help.

I was curious to see if I can replace my subforums (a dozen or so) by prefix and I came to the realization that I can easily give permission to a certain usergroup to a subforum while I don't see how that is done with prefix.

Also, I can easily give the url of a certain subforum, RSS feed. It's harder to do that when you use prefix.

In vB 3.8 I was able to synthesize a prefix-based grouping mechanism for my ZooChat forums - with 1,200 zoos across 90 countries, that was going to be a LOT of subforums, especially where many zoos have little or no discussion.

I created the 90 country forums, grouped into region, and then for each country I had a set of prefixes, one for each zoo. Users could then associate a thread with a specific zoo by selecting the relevant prefix, or they could leave a thread as un-prefixed if it discussed multiple zoos or was more country focussed than zoo focussed - example: http://www.zoochat.com/forums/country/united-kingdom/

I heavily modified the display templates to make it easier to display the prefixes and for users to filter a country thread view based on zoo.

I also did a lot of custom URL rewriting to have friendly URLs for each zoo - example: http://www.zoochat.com/forums/chester-zoo/ (the URL slug corresponds to the prefix ID!)

The site has some serious performance issues and I'm keen to re-build it from scratch using XenForo once things like prefixes become available in v1.1. I still need to spend more time learning about the guts of XenForo first, to work out whether it can do everything I need it to do for the site.

I'm looking forward to 1.1 and the big board search function. Hope to be able to move my 99000 thread, 920000 post VB4 forum across to Xenforo! :)

That's the functions of subforums. Once you have multilayer subforum structure, prefix won't help.

I was curious to see if I can replace my subforums (a dozen or so) by prefix and I came to the realization that I can easily give permission to a certain usergroup to a subforum while I don't see how that is done with prefix.

Also, I can easily give the url of a certain subforum, RSS feed. It's harder to do that when you use prefix.

but it would be possible to have the countries itself (or the US states) as a Prefix, right ?

If you can find alternate solutions to all the features that XenForo doesn't have, XenForo doesn't need to be developed anymore(with the exception of security updates of course), it already got all the features you need from a forum package.
So while I understand your point, that you are able to look aside the fact that XenForo is still very new and doesn't have nearly as much features as the other boards, it simply won't cut it in the long run.

With that being said though, XenForo does look very promising and I think it does have a lot of potential and already now has the most vital features. I am however looking forward to seeing future releases because as it stands now, I am missing a lot of features in XenForo. And the funny thing is that it's mostly these "little things". It's always the little things xD

Anyways, looking forward to 1.1 for sure!

If you can find alternate solutions to all the features that XenForo doesn't have, XenForo doesn't need to be developed anymore(with the exception of security updates of course), it already got all the features you need from a forum package.
So while I understand your point, that you are able to look aside the fact that XenForo is still very new and doesn't have nearly as much features as the other boards, it simply won't cut it in the long run.

With that being said though, XenForo does look very promising and I think it does have a lot of potential and already now has the most vital features. I am however looking forward to seeing future releases because as it stands now, I am missing a lot of features in XenForo. And the funny thing is that it's mostly these "little things". It's always the little things xD

Anyways, looking forward to 1.1 for sure!
Alternative solutions are just until the feature is supported natively in XenForo. Modifications are just to help users switch as quickly as possible.

Kier mentioned earlier that he didn't know which would come first: 1.0.4 or the public beta for 1.1. So now that 1.0.4 is out, it seems likely that the 1.1 beta rollout will be happening soon. Hopefully we'll get at least a feature update and new pics in the very near future. It will be interesting to see what other surprises are in store.
I think the reality is that they're developed alongside each other ..

1.0 is being maintained, until 1.1 is out and the latest stable.

.... It's gonna be autumn soon - i think summer has come and gone here in the UK (for those that have seen the long range weather forecast, August has much of the same in store - same as the last couple of weeks....) :(

Paul

I am in complete waiting mode. I don't want to switch over from vbulletin before the new version comes out. Come on, guys! I'm getting impatient!

I am in complete waiting mode. I don't want to switch over from vbulletin before the new version comes out. Come on, guys! I'm getting impatient!
If you're already going to buy the software, you should buy it now and get familiar with things (And do some test conversions) so you're ready for when 1.1 is out.

Reactions: Bob
.... It's gonna be autumn soon - i think summer has come and gone here in the UK (for those that have seen the long range weather forecast, August has much of the same in store - same as the last couple of weeks....) :(

Paul

Yep you're right, Summer is gone. First late Xenforo release, I iz sad.

Yep you're right, Summer is gone. First late Xenforo release, I iz sad.

It's going to be 100 degrees tomorrow in NY. Safe to say, summer is still here.

I'm hoping post content within emails along with Kier's vision for mobile XenForo will be part of 1.1.

Yep you're right, I can't tell ****ing time
MEH. :rolleyes:

I and many others kindly asked Kier 1 million times to give plans for Xenforo.
He responded by giving some things likely to be in 1.1 and an approximate date.
He didn't have to do that.
If postings like yours come up saying the Summer is over when it isn't that might prevent him from giving out any information.
Please don't spoil things with essentially 100% incorrect statements.

#1) the summer isn't gone. Summer ends Sept 21, 2011.
#2) even if that date passes. Releases are approximates.

As someone said, go ahead and purchase, develop the site locally and when 1.1 comes out it should be an easy upgrade for you to get your site ready.

I have 2 sites in the queue fully styles and dev'd waiting for 1.1. Once it is released, I will buy 2 more licenses, upgrade locally, upload the sites, import the DBs. LAUNCH!

Top Bottom