Linode Free Trial

View attachment 41873

Anything below 2GB is not generally recommended for any growing (active) community.... XenForo had a thread about this once and the average was 2GB or larger (even for small / mid size communities). At least that was the general consensus (the opinion of many).

While I'm sure it's possible to do less than 2GB .... Anything is possible (without a control panel) .... I would not call it practical or generally idea for the majority of people who seriously seek to produce an active community (while planning for the future).

Above is a screen cap of the offered plans and prices (at this moment).... I would call this overpriced and would suggest people compare at webhostingtalk.com or other such forums which talk about web hosting.

Do not agree one bit. I am running 2 linode 512 slices (database and webserver) and they don't even break a sweat with 300 users plus the random guests/spiders. I even have 96MB of cache APC cache on the webserver and I think I am always running around 120-150MB free and I also have 96MB of memcached setup on the database server and I am always over 200MB free. I bet I could even double the online users and still not even work the slices.

I will give you that you need to optimize what you have, but that should just be part of setting up a server and site. Just maximizing your dollar. Saying you can't run a site without 2GB of ram is just kinda crazy. There are plenty of people who are running fairly larger sites without that kind of ram.

Russ

Do not agree one bit. I am running 2 linode 512 slices (database and webserver) and they don't even break a sweat with 300 users plus the random guests/spiders. I even have 96MB of cache APC cache on the webserver and I think I am always running around 120-150MB free and I also have 96MB of memcached setup on the database server and I am always over 200MB free. I bet I could even double the online users and still not even work the slices.

I will give you that you need to optimize what you have, but that should just be part of setting up a server and site. Just maximizing your dollar. Saying you can't run a site without 2GB of ram is just kinda crazy. There are plenty of people who are running fairly larger sites without that kind of ram.

Russ
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/linode-free-trial.45221/#post-495862

As noted.... It can be done when you properly optimize and configure a setup. However, I do not believe the majority of people take the time to do so.

My point of view addresses a more wider and common generalized standard (those with intermediate knowledge & skill or the generally lazy).

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/linode-free-trial.45221/#post-495862

As noted.... It can be done when you properly optimize and configure a setup. However, I do not believe the majority of people take the time to do so.

So your saying I should blame a company since I don't know how to setup a server :o

I could buy a 5$ monthly budget VPS and tune it the same way I do my Linode VPS, but what will the difference be, quality quality quality. The budget VPS will have horrible IO, huge cpu spikes and a random distribution of use that will probably result in my site with horrible load times. This is why Linode cost more. They don't oversell. They use quality hardware in a quality datacenter, and have an amazing staff team.

Its obvious. You think they are overpriced, but why continue to sit here and tell everyone that over and over? I've been with Linode for 3 years. My server has never been offline except for when I manually have triggered reboots to upgrade my server to higher disk space and bandwidth pipes. When I was younger I jumped from budget / cheap VPS to another month after month because I couldn't force myself to spend more than $40 monthly on a VPS. Then I met Linode and everything changed.

I clicked on your site link and saw you had some server troubles. Don't know where you host, and don't really want to bring something up that I have no knowledge of but I'm just gonna fish and say you weren't with a good host which doesn't qualify you to cast this bad opinion over Linode solely over their price with no substantial facts.

I bashed Beats headphones because I thought it was a waste of money with them being $200. Then I tried them on, and realized "wow, these sound amazing.". Same thing applies here. You get what you pay for.

My point of view addresses a more wider and common generalized standard (those with intermediate knowledge & skill or the generally lazy).

Those with "generally lazy knowledge" shouldn't be forum administrators and definitely not setting up servers with that attitude.

I bashed Beats headphones because I thought it was a waste of money with them being $200. Then I tried them on, and realized "wow, these sound amazing.". Same thing applies here. You get what you pay for.

Beats headphones are overpriced. You're essentially paying a premium for a name and for software processing. The actual headphones are the equivalent to low to mid-end that you can get for a fraction of the cost.

As far as Linode goes, you're paying for the reliability. They are a bit on the expensive side of unmanaged, but you're paying for actual quality so it shouldn't matter.

So your saying I should blame a company since I don't know how to setup a server :eek:

How is giving an opinion, punishing anyone? I fail to see your logic. I simply am stating that it is my opinion that Linode is over priced. Not just for the lazy or the under educated, but generally overall in comparing the average VPS price of the current industry (that I am aware of).

I could buy a 5$ monthly budget VPS and tune it the same way I do my Linode VPS, but what will the difference be, quality quality quality. The budget VPS will have horrible IO, huge cpu spikes and a random distribution of use that will probably result in my site with horrible load times. This is why Linode cost more. They don't oversell. They use quality hardware in a quality datacenter, and have an amazing staff team.

Price does not guarantee quality. Cr*p can cost just as much or just as little. Just as quality can cost just as much or just as little. And in my opinion and experience, you can easily find equal or better at a more competitive price.

Its obvious. You think they are overpriced, but why continue to sit here and tell everyone that over and over?
Back at you... Its obvious... You think they are fair value, but why continue to sit here and tell everyone that over and over?

I clicked on your site link and saw you had some server troubles. Don't know where you host, and don't really want to bring something up that I have no knowledge of but I'm just gonna fish and say you weren't with a good host which doesn't qualify you to cast this bad opinion over Linode solely over their price with no substantial facts.

The errors we were getting had nothing to do with our hosting provider.... Rather a misconfiguration in a software update. That issue has since been corrected.

Linode, just like any other hosting provider... Can not guarantee a software conflict or misconfiguration free involvement. No hosting provider can do that.... So paying more or less does not change that.

If it make you "feel better" that you're paying more... Good for you. But it does not guarantee or suggest that you may never run into misconfiguration or conflict in your setup.

You can try out Linode's smallest 512M "node" before you buy, sounds like a good opportunity for people that want to get their feet wet. Although I'm not sure "a couple of hours" is quite long enough, but maybe for some people.

**sigh** I wondered why Linode started showing up in my server logs all of a sudden. Now I know why. >.<

I could not disagree more. Speaking from personal experience, I can say that it's quite easy to run active communities on 512 MB of RAM. And there are so many helpful tutorials, resources, and live communities out there these days that it's almost trivial to configure your own VPS without a control panel to make it really fast and memory efficient. Just look at Linode's library where they have a plethora of tutorials on how to setup various aspects of your VPS: http://library.linode.com/
Using a control panel for one site on a VPS is a total waste of resources and money anyway. I think anyone who has outgrown shared hosting and is willing to try learning can setup their own server from scratch.

I DO agree that the prices you highlighted are too high, and if a site needs more resources than the 512/1GB plans, I would recommend finding another host. That being said, Linode is in the process of coming out with some big changes which just included a 10x increase in bandwidth. I'm interested to see if they will provide some better RAM pricing as well.

Took me - a neophyte to VPS, all of two days (with input from the nice folks here) to get my Debian ran site up and running... and running circles around when it was hosted at HostGator "BabyGator" shared plan. No control panel - just pure SSH/SFTP for this old man. :LOL:
If I (the proverbial caveman) can do it, anybody can. If I outgrow my 512MB (which I don't see anytime in the near future since I only have 3 active users right now :cry: - if anybody knows folks into motorcycling send 'em my forum way!) I can always upgrade it. Their 2GB with 4 cpu 3.3ghz core and 4000GB transfer a month is only $48 USD, and their 4GB 5000GB transfer 4 cpu core 3.3ghz 100GB storage plan is $96.

Ghan_04, you know where I'm talking about.. :p

Just announced, all Linodes are now 8 core:

http://blog.linode.com/2013/03/18/linode-nextgen-the-hardware/

Powering our NextGen hosts are two Intel Sandy Bridge E5-2670 processors. The E5-2670 is at the high end of the power-price-performance ratio. Each E5-2670 enjoys 20 MB of cache and has 8 cores running at 2.6 Ghz. We’ve also moved to the latest generation of the enterprise-grade hard disk drives — doubling their cache, increasing their port speed, and decreasing latency and access time.

Linode just announced some RAM upgrades, that a lot of customers were waiting for.

http://blog.linode.com/2013/04/09/linode-nextgen-ram-upgrade/

We’re doubling the RAM on all of our plans. This upgrade is available to existing and new customers. New Linodes will automatically be created with the new resources. Existing Linodes will need to go through the Upgrade Queue to receive the upgrades.

I have a paypal pre-paid card. Moving to Linode soon.

*moves money from paypal to paypal pre-paid card*

That actually worked! It costed $4 though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom