KAM - Please revisit the past

Duplicate copies of
  • Won't fix
  • Can't fix
  • As design
  • Design issue
Should be moved and considered as suggestions (as they clearly define expectations of the wants and needs of XenForo customers).

Duplicate copies of
  • Won't fix
  • Can't fix
  • As design
  • Design issue
Should be moved and considered as suggestions (as they clearly define expectations of the wants and needs of XenForo customers).

Just because an issue is marked as Can't Fix doesn't mean that XenForo is ignoring customers. I utilize this designation at work for plenty of issues clients bring in, because its basically impossible to fix. I think I've seen minimal "Won't Fix" here, and usually because they are extremely difficult to fix or add too much over head for an edge case that'll happen once in a blue moon.

I periodically go through the suggestions and merge duplicates whenever I find them.
There are thousands of threads though so it's a huge task.

I have seen you do Brogan. I just thought a special "Report Duplicate" might gradually encourage people to help you identify them.

I use search hundreds of times a month and always find what I'm looking for.
No offense, but responses like this aren't very helpful.

Most users aren't as smart, capable, etc as you are. Unfortunately, many of us have to work to the lowest, not highest, common denominator.

For example, we have an internal list of ideas--some our own, some based on customer feedback--that's a mile long and it gets additions all the time.
On paper ?
:)
Word document ?

Keep in mind when threads fail to meet your organizational needs ... it's probably the same for all of us. You don't use xenforo's native structure because important stuff gets lost too easy. If Xenforo is going to innovate and improve online communities ... it will be through solving these "everyday" information needs.

People make duplicate suggestions because it's hard to find old suggestions. PERIOD.
If old suggestions were easy to find ... they wouldn't make duplicate suggestions. PERIOD.

Threads are fine repositories for back and forth banter. As soon as you have a goal (in this case to organize suggestions) .. threads fail. Fail miserably. It's because threads don't have the correct structure to meet the needs of the goal.

Xenforo needs structures other than threads to improve the information experience in online communities.

I look forward to what Xenforo brings to the table when it doesn't hide behind the shield of "But we are just a forum software".

On paper ?
Word document ?

Keep in mind when threads fail to meet your organizational needs ... it's probably the same for all of us. You don't use xenforo's native structure because important stuff gets lost too easy. If Xenforo is going to innovate and improve online communities ... it will be through solving these "everyday" information needs.

People make duplicate suggestions because it's hard to find old suggestions. PERIOD.
If old suggestions were easy to find ... they wouldn't make duplicate suggestions. PERIOD.

Threads are fine repositories for back and forth banter. As soon as you have a goal (in this case to organize suggestions) .. threads fail. Fail miserably. It's because threads don't have the correct structure to meet the needs of the goal.

Xenforo needs structures other than threads to improve the information experience in online communities.

I look forward to what Xenforo brings to the table when it doesn't hide behind the shield of "But we are just a forum software".

that's what I thought as well......
It is very hard to keep track of all those user-suggestions and user-ideas via the many threads here at the Forum, e.g. what has already been suggested, which suggestions are similar, etc.

You see this issue clearly here at XenForo.com , when you look at peoples "Signatures" where they put in their favourite suggestions, in order to find those easily and in order to display suggestions which they think should be implemented.
E.g.: http://xenforo.com/community/members/grover.117/

Maybe it is a good idea (and a solution to this issue) to collect your favourite threads or similar threads (e.g. the user-suggestions you definitely want to implement) into some sort of your personal favourites.
So literally, topic-specific Board-Collections at your own user-profile where you put your favourite threads into. Some call it "Bookmarking", others call it "Boards" or "Collections", etc.

I have already suggested and explained this idea and its structure in my (annoying :D:p;) ) threads:
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/turn-xf-into-pinforo.29887/
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/usd-1000-bounty-resource-manager-article-collections.48028/

In the end it is the same structure, no matter if you have "internal content" (e.g. Forum-threads, images used within Forum-threads, etc.) or if you have "external content" (e.g. articles from other websites, images at other websites, etc.).
You need to put this content into some sort of "categorized archive" (for each user) in order to find them easier and to "display" them for others to see (based on permissions).

Suggestion & Mockup is here: :)

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/organizational-needs-structure-bookmarking-collections.48370/

:coffee:

The agreement is mute and invalid

XenForo could use forums
XenForo could use a tracker
XenForo could use JIRA

It would still not prevent people from either re-posting or continuing to draw attention X, Y, Z repeatedly.

And I personally don't think either one should be used with the idea in mind to silence, dismiss, or ignore reports that clearly are repeated. Rather the solution to such content is to listen and apply those issue, even if originally the development had no plans to originally do so.

That is the key to true support and development.

KAM really should reevaluate
  • Won't fix
  • Can't fix
  • As design
  • Design issue

Actually anything that uses tags and categories effectively reduces duplicate content.
For example: all suggestions about the editor would be connected, which should make it much easier to see if a similar suggestion exists and also makes it easier for KAM to review such.

It would be nice to see a content type with project tools like functionality, so that suggestions, bugs for xenforo, for resources and also for our own websites can be managed much more effectively.

I am really missing Kier and his valuable insight and input.

Kier we need you, please come back !!!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It's not aimed at you. But I find it great at repelling those who shouldn't be using it.
You seem to be forgetting that JIRA is not just a bug tracker, but also a suggestions tracker. I have seen great suggestions from users who are not tech savvy. Especially because the end product needs to be user friendly to people who are not tech savvy. Community software needs to be granny-proof, so 'grannies' should be able to put in their 2-cents when it comes to suggestions. JIRA excludes people who are not tech savvy.

Top Bottom