jQuery 1.5 Released

Status
Not open for further replies.
True to form, post 4 has been edited. I won't even bother to comment this time, make up your own minds.

View attachment 10286

Does anyone here think that moving now to a major new version of jQuery and potentially introducing a swathe of new bugs from undocumented backward compatibility issues (especially when we at release candidate stage and are concentrating on cleaning up bugs) is a good idea?
Sure, move ahead and upgrade it. Fix the errors in the way from you not using jQuery v1.5 using custom functions or modifications to core library... But what happens when the library is updated to support jQuery 1.5... If you wrote custom functions, its like say "F*** off, developers!" and require a rewrite of tooltip functionality (again). And what if they introduce the upgrade in a different way, then you'll still be royally screwed. To them I say, using libraries means that you must wait for components to update, then, and only then, can you possibly THINK about moving to the newest versions.

True to form, post 4 has been edited. I won't even bother to comment this time, make up your own minds.

View attachment 10286

Does anyone here think that moving now to a major new version of jQuery and potentially introducing a swathe of new bugs from undocumented backward compatibility issues (especially when we at release candidate stage and are concentrating on cleaning up bugs) is a good idea?
I like 1.4.4...it works right? I don't really see anything in 1.5 that would make xF work any better so why waste development time at all? Wait until there is something that actually works for us :P

Oh, jQuery 1.5 is out. I'll probably get a few emails that SwitchToHTML5 isn't up to date anymore now.

Regarding all the MRGTB-Bashing - I think you're giving him more attention than he deserves, Kier.

Regarding all the MRGTB-Bashing - I think you're giving him more attention than he deserves, Kier.
I think he is just trying to get some advertising(he feels quite lonely on a site that I can't see a point for? Trolling, No ppl have that 4 whatever site, so I guess it is just pointless :P)

It's unlikely that we'd switch to a major new version of jQuery this late in the development process. 1.4.4 is working nicely, so unless we see significant fixes for bugs that affect us, we're unlikely to switch to jQuery 1.5.0 before XenForo 1.0.0.

We're still not in alpha with our product and aren't looking at upgrading to jQuery 1.5.0 either, I want something out the door rather than constantly upgrading everything and then rehashing code over and over again as we did when we decided some jQuery magic would be awesome. Would be in "moving goal posts" basket I think if there was a constant rush to the latest bleeding edge releases.

TBH, that's like attempting to fix something that isn't broke - it makes no sense. And neither does he.
rolleyes.gif

before i blindly give my opinion, i would like to ask the experts first:
whats new in jquery v1.5 ? are there new stuff that you can use in xf to make it even better?
what diference will it make if you upgrade xenforo to use it?

whats new in jquery v1.5 ? are there new stuff that you can use in xf to make it even better?
It includes performance boosts for functions we don't use, and optimizations in other areas that would require us to rewrite portions of our code in order to take advantage of it. In short, it offers very little benefit to us at this time.
what diference will it make if you upgrade xenforo to use it?
Virtually no difference at all.

then i say no, i dont think you should upgrade to v1.5, its not worth it

See you came to the same opinion as the rest of us who didn't need to resort to facts :)

Actually emailed another developer about the 1.5 upgrade, leaving out various fbombs etc the answer was "next version of our software".

See you came to the same opinion as the rest of us who didn't need to resort to facts :)
i personally do need facts, i can't throw my opinions every now and then without understanding what i am talking about
i'm not a programmer and thats why i needed a precise data that i couldn't get myself before answering
you can find my method wrong and i wont argue with that. you are free to think whatever you want.

i personally do need facts, i can't throw my opinions every now and then without understanding what i am talking about
i'm not a programmer and thats why i needed a precise data that i couldn't get myself before answering
you can find my method wrong and i wont argue with that. you are free to think whatever you want.
Spoken like a Jedi

It also doesn't make much sense to upgrade to a new release of something that hasn't been put through its paces yet (as in, hasn't had a few maintenance releases under its belt after being tested in a variety of situations), especially when you're trying to release something of your own that's almost out the door and ready to be labeled as "stable" and production-ready.

There's a difference between being on the cutting-edge and cutting yourself on that edge. I don't think delay the update to jQuery a few weeks/months is going to be detrimental to XenForo's standing on using the latest technology and standards one bit.

So not planning for a career in politics then?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom