1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Japan just hit by magnitude 8.9 earthquake

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Xencored, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Peggy

Peggy Just bein' me...

That would be a reach even for them, since the bird deaths happened first.
  2. Slavik

Slavik XenForo Moderator Staff Member

I've seen worse!
  3. Crazyfruitbat

Crazyfruitbat Well-Known Member

found something interesting today - two guys decided to see how close they could get to Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant - I found this video quite disturbing. No roadblocks, nobody stopping them & I don't know if they are mentally all 'there', but these guys deserve a pulitzer for reporting this.

erich37 likes this.
  4. erich37

erich37 Well-Known Member

5. Bain

Bain Active Member

The problem is that reality, while a good idea, is subjective to ones own perceptions. Your reality is created by your own knowledge and any lack of knowledge could create your reality to be false from the true reality.
    Are we real? Are we simply fish in a bowl? What is reality? I am sure you will come back with your own idea of reality but that is conjecture. Even the major Physicists admit that our reality as we currently perceive it is not the end all, be all of realities. There are multiple dimensions within our own dimension.

Could it be that even our own world is simply a small atom floating around in another dimension, surrounded by other realities? We wouldn't know it. We are much like fish in a lake. Unless we are plucked from our own reality, we would never understand other realities beyond our own small area even exist.
  6. dutchbb

dutchbb Well-Known Member

Yes, and we only have the tools within our own perceived reality to work with. And until we can prove there is more, that's all we really need.
  7. erich37

erich37 Well-Known Member

8. Peggy

Peggy Just bein' me...

Rare quake rocks Australia's Barrier Reef coast -

SYDNEY (AFP) – Australia's Barrier Reef district was rocked by an unusual 5.2-magnitude earthquake Saturday, but laid-back locals said they had barely felt a thing.

The tremor struck about 3.30pm local time (0530 GMT) about 124 kilometres southeast of Townsville at a depth of 10 kilometres, according to the United States Geological Survey.

A low rumbling was felt at Magnetic Island, a 20-minute ferry ride from the mainland and part of the Great Barrier Reef, according to a hotelier at the All Seasons resort, where it briefly interrupted a wedding on the beach.
    "Some of the guests felt a bit of a shake, nothing much. It wasn't major, no-one fell over and nothing was damaged," she said.

"It was just like a shudder, my office backs onto the laundry and I said 'Oh, that was a big spin cycle.' It hasn't stopped the world up here.

"We are alive and well at the moment and please God that's how we are going to stay."
    There were no immediate reports of damage and no tsunami alert was issued
  9. Peggy

Peggy Just bein' me...

Seems to be more earthquakes in places where earthquakes are practically non-existent.
  10. Forsaken

Forsaken Well-Known Member

There are a lot of faults that haven't shifted in years that have begun shifting again. Its been proven that this happens consistently every few decades.
    Steve F likes this.
  11. Peggy

Peggy Just bein' me...

Yet another earthquake for Japan today.

12. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

Seems this one isn't as severe.
  13. Peggy

Peggy Just bein' me...

No. 6.7 magnitude. But enough to warrant a tsunami warning.
  14. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Well-Known Member

I think anything at or above a magnitude 6.0 in Japan automatically triggers a tsunami warning.
  15. ENF

ENF Well-Known Member

That depends on where it actually hits. This one hit just off the coast, so there would be a warning .

Funny thing... I didn't feel the quake as I was asleep, but the iPhone application I use, "Sleep Cycle", recorded it. :D
    jmurrayhead and Peggy like this.
  16. Mike Law

Mike Law Active Member

As someone living in shaky country I can assure it doesn't. Last night a nice shake, house rocking up and down a bit... not enough to even bother to turn on the TV or wake the kids and start "survive protocol" Since the big one we have had 1300 earthquakes, about 10~12 a day at the moment. My mobile phone alert is set to only warn me on anything about Level 3, as the Japanese do not use Richter scale but rather a 7 level system based on the expected "shaking", most of the earthquakes these days are around 5~6 mag.

I am one of the weaker versions of our species, as I have not really had a good sleep since, even though the earthquakes them self are really not the thing to worry about, I live 2 KM from the coast so not the most comfortable place to be with a bunch of little rug rats.
    Peggy likes this.
  17. grant sarver

grant sarver Well-Known Member

18. Forsaken

Forsaken Well-Known Member

19. Slavik

Slavik XenForo Moderator Staff Member

I may be heading out to Japan in October, if I am, maybe we should have a meet up, it would have to be quick though as I will be landing, taking the train upto niigata for 4 days, then train back, onto the plane and off home. :)
  20. Mike Law

Mike Law Active Member

A snowboarder!
    Would be cool, Narita is pretty far though to get too from anywhere in Tokyo.
    You'll swing by Tokyo or straight to the snowy mountains from Narita?