It´s time for some official statement what is going on behind xenforo

• Thread starter Thread starter bogus
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've haven't posted here for a while, although I've been reading almost daily.

TBH, what I see here is the same trouble-makers from vB who have moved to XF and are doing the exact same thing they did there:

- Demand updates / road maps...
- Get everyone riled up when updates / roadmaps, etc., weren't forthcoming upon demand...
- Get everyone more stirred up if developers / leaders don't post every other day...
- Gripe, moan, complain, whine, throw silly temper tantrums, rinse and repeat...
- Create conspiracy theories...
- Make up their own theories and scenarios without knowing a bit of what's really happening, even though what's really happening is none of your damned business.

*gasp* That's right, it's none of your (or my) business.
You paid for a license to run a forum, and you got it.
You paid for updates, and you get them.
You paid for customer support, and you get it. Darned good support, I might add.

That is ALL you are entitled to, and all you should receive. Anything more that KAM deem appropriate to throw your way is icing on the cake, and imo, you don't even deserve that, the way y'all are acting like spoiled little brats.

geeezes...

/end rant, for now. :cautious:

As an addendum, I'd like to quote a piece of the license agreement:

8. Disclaimer of Warranties
The Software is provided on an "AS IS" basis, without warranty of any kind, including without limitation the warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, and non-infringement.
You acknowledge that the Software has not been developed to meet Your individual requirements, and that it is therefore Your responsibility to ensure that the facilities and functions of the Software meet your requirements prior to purchase. You acknowledge that the Software may not be free of bugs or errors, and agree that the existence of errors shall not constitute a breach of this Agreement.
The entirety of the risk as to the results, quality and performance of the Software is with You.
In the event that You are purchasing the Software as a consumer, nothing in this clause shall affect your statutory rights.

I have put in a couple of support requests and was stunned at how fast they got answered. I hope people remember that the lawsuite is making things very hard for the guys.

Is it even feasible to consider that 'teasers' of new functionality and discussions of new features are not forthcoming because IB are all over this site like a fly on off meat?

I know we all want a development update but it seems reasonable to me that at this stage of the court case that xF should release as little info as possible.

Your voice is not insignificant. Mike, Kier, and Ashley have not created drama, others have.

Between Ashley's announcement and XF taking on two new Moderators it looks to me that "KAM"s act is quite right.

There is no conspiracy but users who asked what was going on were right ..

Ashley's announcement clearly states that they will now move TOWARDS development.
So nothing has basically happened (that's how I read it), the concerns from customers helped disclose that.

And that should put to rest those who have been saying (including me) that we don't know what goes on off the forums, and that development is probably on-going for version 1.2, etc.

I personally find it a bit of a disappointment to learn that they are picking things up again to work towards a solution and get coding again. After I've been blatantly defending them assuming Kier and Mike have taken a step back from the boards, but not from the future of their company.

If that's not a concern to some, then I don't know what it is.

Just because it's news, doesn't mean it's good news. Customers asked for 'what is up' more than a few times, and finally got a response and their concerns were justified.

And yes, I always hope for the better. I hope those stupid suits are sorted, that these guys aren't getting trash talked here and on other sites, and I hope they feel positive enough again soon physically and mentally to realize they have a start up with customers. Because you say they got their act quite right. Starting with good intentions is one thing, getting their act right is another. I am confident they are nothing more but fully capable of doing that.

If you're going to take a break from development to avoid a complete burn out, let your customers know. Yeah, easier said than done.

A lot could have been avoided in my personal opinion by mentioning around January that it's FINALLY time for a break after working almost non stop for the last 12+ months to bring a stable release to help communities build a better solution. And that development in regards to show stopping bugs and security issues are on-going, and that development for 1.2 is being mapped out and 24/7 coding cycles with red bulls by the whole team is being picked up again early Summer.

Nobody would have judged them for being human.

I know, this post seems it is not in support of Kier & Mike and Ashley.
But seeing how it doesn't matter from which side of the fence I post, I might as well share the opinion anyway. Despite that the idiots here will take my words out of context, mis-quote me, etc. Whatever.

Brogan can always come back when things pick up here again and he feels motivated. I am 100% confident that If Brogan has that interest that Ashley knows his value and wouldn't even blink and offers him a part time job.

I am also confident that Jake and Slavik are the right choices.

And Kier and Mike deserve their time off, heck, take the summer! Get a second job for all I care. But don't pull a vBulletin and go dark on customers and post things that imply something might be in the work when only after months we learn it's not.

We've been there before, it resulted in a ton load of people moving on to otherwise improve their own web site.
Nobody wants that.

We f* love this software. Because it's ******** good.

But a start up company isn't easy, especially without funding, especially when you don't want to sell out ownership to venture capitalists, and all that Sil.Val. stuff.

I stand by my words that this could have been handled better, and I personally feel a bit negative about finding out that saying they are going to start working towards development and support again, that to me that reads that it implies nothing much but the necessary has been done.

And you can't say that we customers haven't asked, either side of the fence. Those with and without concerns.

This announcement in my opinion requires a follow up, perhaps not a roadmap, but a clear message towards the customers. And I don't mean now. Take your time to get the good intentions into a shape and share part of that during the summer with the customers. Not because they pay and feel they deserve a response, but to give back to the trust that we've put into this company. Because right now it's clear the negativity on this site isn't going anywhere. And new moderators will help fight it, but if users were respectful towards the team Brogan would still have been here I think.

Convince me that in a few months we're not going to find out that working towards actually meant 'we have been thinking about it with good intentions'.

When I buy another license at the end of the month I don't want it to ONLY be to financially support you guys in regards to the law suits. I want it because I feel I can use it in the future, with the same passion as last year.

Yeah, what a douche huh this Floris, for being so blunt. Well, here we are.

Disclaimer: Kier and Mike and Ashley - love you guys, you're my friends. And I want nothing but the best. But unconditional love is a two way street.

In my opinion I think Ashleys statement should be taken with a pinch of salt as the wording is not perfect and was released under quite a pressured situation. We have had Mike already confirm to us previously that development was still ongoing and this statement should simply re-affirm this, rather than reading too much into the exact wording and grammar to find "loopholes" in the statement.

Not finding loopholes. Ashley repeated himself twice in the announcement, explicitly ending with 'to be clear' ..
I think it's unfair to say I am looking for loopholes.
I understand they're under quite some pressure from various sides.
I am just saying that despite me supporting them completely, that it's clear people their concerns were justified to a point. The whole conspiracy and misbehaving by people is completely unjustified, uncalled for, and utterly stupid.

I wish my personal situation offline was completely different, I wouldn't have to part ways with most of my hobbies, and I would be able to handle the online idiocy a lot better. I hope people don't think I leave because I don't believe in XenForo, or whatever.

I think the "working towards" is probably not quite what he meant as it implies that we're not at the development stage yet which contradicts what Mike's said previously. I agree with Slavik that it was maybe slightly poorly worded due to the pressure of putting something out.

In my opinion I think Ashleys statement should be taken with a pinch of salt as the wording is not perfect and was released under quite a pressured situation. We have had Mike already confirm to us previously that development was still ongoing and this statement should simply re-affirm this, rather than reading too much into the exact wording and grammar to find "loopholes" in the statement.
Yeah, this.

I mean when I read Ashley's statement it reassured me because I read it as "WE ARE working on the development" not that it has been halted and will now carry on.

It perhaps could have been worded better, but the English language is a wonderful thing. "We are working towards" could mean "we have only just started working on" or "we are working on" and I'm pretty sure it's the latter.

English is not my first language, as with many customers. It's how it comes across to me, and I love to be wrong.

I think that Slavik is spot on, Floris. The way I read it, development did not stop. I was/am under the impression that Mike continued working during the time Kier was dealing with the personal issues.
That's the assumption I had since January. Ashley's announcement surprised me.

It is simple. "Clear and transparent, we are working towards developing and supporting XenForo."

This means they are working towards their next milestone (1.2) and continued support (via support tickets). Like they always have. This does not in ANY way mean they stopped doing these things, I can see how some may think that but it is simply wrong.

Not finding loopholes. Ashley repeated himself twice in the announcement, explicitly ending with 'to be clear' ..
I think it's unfair to say I am looking for loopholes.
I understand they're under quite some pressure from various sides.
I am just saying that despite me supporting them completely, that it's clear people their concerns were justified to a point. The whole conspiracy and misbehaving by people is completely unjustified, uncalled for, and utterly stupid.

I wish my personal situation offline was completely different, I wouldn't have to part ways with most of my hobbies, and I would be able to handle the online idiocy a lot better. I hope people don't think I leave because I don't believe in XenForo, or whatever.

I see your point, and yes, having re-read the announcement again I can see how Ashleys statement may apear to give that impression. But as I said, in my opinion (as I don't know anymore than you guys) the announcement was a pressured release and could potentially have done with a review before being posted to just make sure things are clear and concise as we would all love.

Either way we can look at it as a double positive.

1) The wording of Ashleys announcement is "off" and development was always continuing, this announcement re-affirms that. Given Mikes previous statement this is what I see as being the most likely.

2) Maybe they did take a break, we know from Kiers announcement things are stressful. However this announcement now lets us all know that active development has / is being resumed and hopefully in coming weeks we will get some wonderful updates to enjoy :)

XenForo in a lot of peoples eyes now is finished, including mine. This site seems to be going through the motions until whatever happens, the business side of things and communication taking place the past 3 months has been utterly abysmal, bordering on being plain outright ignorant towards customers. What a disaster, you've "no idea" how to run a business here. You've alienated most of your customers by ignoring them for months asking for information, many have converted back to vBulletin 4 since, or currently thinking seriously about doing it now.

Well done!

XenForo in a lot of peoples eyes now is finished, including mine. This site seems to be going through the motions until whatever happens, the business side of things and communication taking place the past 3 months has been utterly abysmal, bordering on being plain outright ignorant towards customers. What a disaster, you've "no idea" how to run a business here. You've alienated most of your customers by ignoring them for months asking for information, many have converted back to vBulletin 4 since or are currently thinking seriouslly about doing it now.

Well done!
Don't generalise. "Many have converted back". Really? I'm sure there's many more converting FROM vBulletin 4 than there are converting back. XenForo isn't finished.

It's also important to note that not everyone has this need for continuous information. They've told us they're working on it. That's fine by me. I'm not going to start not supporting them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom