XF 2.0 Is there an XF2 equivalent to User => Test Permissions?

Kevin

I may be missing the obvious.... I see Groups & Permissions => Analyze Permissions but I'm not seeing in XF2 the old XF1 User => Test Permissions option to actually see the site as a particular user. Is there still an option for that in XF2? :unsure:

No, the feature was removed as a lot of people didn't understand how it worked and were confused by the results.

Personally I just use a test account and log in via another browser session.

No, the feature was removed as a lot of people didn't understand how it worked and were confused by the results.

Personally I just use a test account and log in via another browser session.
Thanks for confirming. Well, at least I'm not cracking up in being unable to find it in the ACP. :LOL:

Sorry, but that was a really dumb decision (n)

It was a very useful and NECESSARY tool. Not our fault other users didn't understand it. That's their problem not ours.
It isn't really. Test permissions didn't work as people expected, just search for numerous threads on this and the explanations the XF team gave. That's why it is gone, Analyse permissions effectively superceded it.

No, it isn't.

It was replaced by "Analyze permissions".

Unfortunately that doesn't work as well.

It may show that at user has permission to view something but that doesn't mean they can. Only by testing their account can you see if they're missing something fundamental or if the analyse permissions isn't showing the issue.

For instance viewing links from PM's in threads won't show up in analyse permissions, yet those in the original PM can see them. When the people involved are admin or moderation it means you suspect a permissions issue with the user groups that can't see them.

At the moment I have a user that cannot see a forum that is only shown to a certain user group. Analyse permissions says the user can but the only way to verify if that's not working or they are mistaken is to log in with that user's account. That means either they share their password or have to reset their password afterwards.

Analyse permissions says the user can
If analyse permissions says the user can then the test permissions feature would have said the user can too. The data for each comes from the same place.

So Test permissions really wouldn't help you in this case.

The problem is though that test permissions has said I can see something and when I used an account to test I couldn’t.

in the past on xf1.5 test permissions and analyse didn’t give the same results either and I found I had to use test. Hence the fondness for test.

I can only assume in those previous cases where the results were different is that it wasn't in fact anything to do with permissions or you somehow weren't using the analyse permissions feature correctly.

Bear in mind if this is for a specific forum you need to ensure you're analysing permissions under the "Node permissions" tab and select the specific node.

If that's how you're already using the feature then I can categorically assure you it is not a permissions issue and you would need to direct your troubleshooting efforts elsewhere.

Top Bottom